to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Opinion: Handheld gaming has lost its way

Your comments on our articles.

The one mostly-ignored handheld is actually the perfect portable, argues Mike Jackson...

I adore handheld gaming. I have ever since I first laid eyes on the original Game Boy in 1990. Vita and 3DS? Both day-one purchases. So it pains me to admit that my interest in dedicated portable consoles has hit an all-time low.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Opinion: Handheld gaming has lost its way

Postby Imaduck » 26 Dec 2012, 13:30

I'd argue that after the Gameboy, handheld gaming never really found it's way onwards at all. It's a clunky market of overpriced, underused tech that struggles. Just my view man.
Imaduck 58

Re: Opinion: Handheld gaming has lost its way

Postby rbt2 » 26 Dec 2012, 14:00

I sit down on the throne, fire up my Vita and I'm half-way done before I even get in-game. Sorry, but that's a fail.

Really?
I always savour a good Tom tit when I take a handheld into the loo.
I did one once that lifted me off the seat!
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby MrPirtniw » 26 Dec 2012, 14:21

Are you Randy Marsh??
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby El Mag » 26 Dec 2012, 14:22

Yesterday was terrible. About an hour after my dinner I did one them farts that smell like you've actually s**t yourself. Well you have to go and check for your own sake don't ya? Luckily I hadn't but it was a worrying walk to the toilet.

Then when the time did come I needed more than a handheld to help pass the time. I took a portable dvd player in and watched The Godfather trilogy.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby theideal » 26 Dec 2012, 14:35

I know it's an 'opinion' piece but this article is pretty annoying and jammed full of contradictions.
theideal 72

Postby CDS » 26 Dec 2012, 14:37

To be fair, I think both co-exist peacefully, triple-A games and full portable. I've been enjoying such games as Jetpack Joyride and Sunflowers on my PSV at the same time I've been blasting around Fairhaven in Need For Speed Most Wanted.
It's not the loading times that are the factor of portable gaming these days. It's the fact that developers impress us with opening titles and flash logos that spend too much time on screen.
CDSMEDIA CDS BLOGS

Currently waiting for - Star Wars Battlefront III / New Sonic the Hedgehog
CDS 56

Postby theideal » 26 Dec 2012, 14:43

CDS wrote:It's not the loading times that are the factor of portable gaming these days. It's the fact that developers impress us with opening titles and flash logos that spend too much time on screen.

In fairness, they're often there to hide the loading times.
theideal 72

Postby stealth » 26 Dec 2012, 14:48

1) Mike Jackson is foolish to the max

2) This article is lying, generalization, contradiction

So a normal CVG piece

In other news the 3ds just sold 1 million globally this week, and first quarter 3ds in the US looks like

castlevania
fire emblem
soul hacker
pokemon
etrian
and more
stealth 47

Postby shanusanus » 26 Dec 2012, 14:53

Up until recently I loved my VITA playing Black Ops and Resistance etc..... that was until I got the Wii U and now playing Batman, Black Ops, Assassins Creed etc on that gamepad whilst laying in bed or the wife watches TV makes the Vita obsolete. I've even started thinking about putting it on eBay now.

I know I am a small percentage of portable players that actually doesn't take the device outside the house - I use them more to play whilst in bed etc - but Vita biggest selling point to me could\should be remote play of all PS3 games just like that Killzone demo they showed us over a year ago - yet since purchase on day one we've been given just a few PS1 titles for Remote Play - not good enough - especially now Wii U has gone and trumped Sony.

If Vita needs ANYTHING in 2013 its full PS3 remote play then I'll be using it again - until that time I have no use for it now.
shanusanus 22

Postby budge » 26 Dec 2012, 14:59

I've been hammering Uncharted GA since yesterday on my Vita and i'm looking forward to getting games like Virtue's Last Reward and Persona 4 in the new year.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby charliecheswick » 26 Dec 2012, 15:27

rbt2 wrote:I sit down on the throne, fire up my Vita and I'm half-way done before I even get in-game. Sorry, but that's a fail.

Really?
I always savour a good Tom tit when I take a handheld into the loo.
I did one once that lifted me off the seat!

:lol: Crazed animal!
charliecheswick 45

Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby Dragovian » 26 Dec 2012, 16:26

Well, I love my 3DS. The original fits easily in your pocket, even if the XL doesn't. Call me old-fashioned, but I just want good games, whether they're "console type" or not (in fact, I've played it more than any console since the GameCube). Web-browsing, photo-viewing... all fantastic extras, in my opinion.

The only reason I don't have a Vita is because it doesn't have enough of the games that I like - Japanese RPGs, that sort of thing.
Dragovian 34

Postby stealth » 26 Dec 2012, 16:35

Dragovian wrote:Well, I love my 3DS. The original fits easily in your pocket, even if the XL doesn't. Call me old-fashioned, but I just want good games, whether they're "console type" or not (in fact, I've played it more than any console since the GameCube). Web-browsing, photo-viewing... all fantastic extras, in my opinion.

The only reason I don't have a Vita is because it doesn't have enough of the games that I like - Japanese RPGs, that sort of thing.

vita has a decent amount
stealth 47

Postby TehSlenderMan » 26 Dec 2012, 16:54

Good article, I see where you're coming from. That's why I still have my Gameboy Advance :D

By the way, Vampire Diaries is an excellent show :D
Have a Steam, Origin(Sadly) and Battle.net Account.
Steam: Darksiders 2, All CoDs, Saints Row 3, CSS, DoD:s, Killing Floor, DX:HR, CS:GO, many more.
Origin: Battlefield 3, Syndicate, and Mass Effect 3.
Battle.net: Diablo 2 LoD, StarCraft 2, and Diablo 3.
TehSlenderMan 31

Xbox Live: TehSlenderrMan
Steam: Teh Slender Man
Battle.net: SlenderMan#1735

Postby stealth » 26 Dec 2012, 17:23

I wish cvg would clean house sometimes
stealth 47

Next