to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

A second look at PS Vita

Your comments on our articles.

On its first Birthday, we offer a thorough twelve-month analysis of the handheld that would be king

Why isn't PS Vita selling? Why has PlayStation shifted less than 5 million units in the first twelve months despite its predecessor building a market of 70 million customers? Sony, unfortunately, does not have the luxury of a clear answer to that question.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

A second look at PS Vita

Postby EvilWaterman » 17 Dec 2012, 12:52

I have one and its all great bar the thumb sticks, I just cannot get on with them, specifically with FPS games. They are just to sensitives and feel horrible to use, I cant play Uncharted because of it.
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

A second look at PS Vita

Postby Jingee » 17 Dec 2012, 12:55

I feel one of the problems is that the line-up of 3rd party games feels like a cheap spin-off. I'm sure Assassins Creed Liberation is a fine game, and CVG said do themselves, but would people be more willing to buy that or AC3? The console would fare better if the game lineup was not made up of spin-off titles, but actually closer to the games on the main consoles.

The price must be seen as the biggest killer. Why buy a Vita when you can get a PS3 for cheaper? It can can give as much of the big TV console experience as it wants, but what is the point if the big-screen console experience is a fair sight cheaper?

My only gripe with the console itself is that I have slightly large hands, and reaching the thumb sticks feels uncomfortable.
Jingee 50

Re: A second look at PS Vita

Postby Coulson1990 » 17 Dec 2012, 13:00

I picked up the white one while in the states and to be honest, I'm glad i did. Uncharted, Black Ops and Playstation battle royale all amuse me greatly.
Coulson1990 44

A second look at PS Vita

Postby Deders » 17 Dec 2012, 13:04

Got mine a month ago. Blown away but I had no idea how good it was till I got it! Sony really should be pushing it as it truly is a Next-gen Handheld! Well worth the price tag and the quality and care that went into the making of it shows. The Psp felt like current gen when it came out but this feels totally BEYOND that. O
Deders 44

Xbox Live: Owenus Prime
PSN ID: godbot_286
Steam: godbot_286

Postby pixelpojken » 17 Dec 2012, 13:11

Handheld console? Got any 2D castlevania? Nope? Well, see you then.
pixelpojken 8
New user

A second look at PS Vita

Postby budge » 17 Dec 2012, 13:13

I'm quite excited about Christmas this year because although I got my Vita a few weeks ago I stashed it away until Chrimbo day. I've already got Uncharted GA, AC Liberation and Gravity Rush on my PS3 ready for transfer. I've also got a load of old PSP games to play with the dual sticks thanks to the button mapping function.

Can't wait. :)
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Commander Harris » 17 Dec 2012, 13:16

I was actually planning to purchase one next year at some point as Persona 4 Golden will be released in the UK in Spring, Virtues last reward looks great as well and I want to give Gravity Rush a go as well. Also as you stated in the article there is Tearaway as well some point next year, not to mention you can still play some PSP titles on it.
Commander Harris 9
New user

PSN ID: Paradyme232
Steam: Brutalpriest

Postby Solm » 17 Dec 2012, 13:24

I got mine on release day and I think it's the best handheld for power and looks. It takes a while for a new console to get up and running give it another year and it should be in a healthier position. I do feel it needs more remote play and even the ability to play ps2 games along with a price reduction would help it no end.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 52

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby superfruit » 17 Dec 2012, 13:31

No doubt it's a fine machine, just not a machine for the current age.

I don't think 'serious' gaming is about portability, that is now the domain of the smart phone. All the AAA stuff I want to play is console or PC based. Even if the platforms games were essentially like for like with the console versions I'd rather play on a large TV.
superfruit 48

Postby totakeke » 17 Dec 2012, 13:37

I picked mine up about 6 months ago and I love it. It's made train journeys much more palatable. The screen is amazing, it's so bright and vivid. The games are by and large pretty damned good. The problem is that they are mostly console rips, which is fine if all you want to do is continue playing your console game on the move. But having to pay full whack twice is a little steep for that. I'd like to see cross buy used more often for console ports, that would be incredible, though unlikely. Gravity rush is an incredible game which shows how the console can be used perfectly.

The ps3 vita control is nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in little big planet 2 when the update is released next week, though some proper remote play would be an absolute killer app.

As far as hardware goes my only issues are with the sticks being a bit small and that the memory cards cost too damned much! I know why they do, they used a proprietary design so they if the vita was cracked to run any home brew software you'd still need to buy a memory card from sony to run stuff to avoid all the money losses from cracked psp sales where people just bought the console, which was sold at a loss, and bought a cheap 3rd party memory stick to run their roms on.
totakeke 55

Xbox Live: Nanotramp
PSN ID: Nanotramp
Steam: sh3man278

Postby wwinterj » 17 Dec 2012, 13:39

4 pages for this? Wow.
Two simple things put me off buying a Vita. The price and the lack of good games. Don't get me wrong I do like some of the games on the system but the price isn't worth paying just to play those games. I'll wait for a price drop or more games to come on the system before I bother. The funny thing is I said this very same thing almost a year ago. I'm still waiting for the support for the system.
wwinterj 49

Postby fluggy2003 » 17 Dec 2012, 13:40

As soon as they revealed the compulsory propriety memory cards I changed my mind about purchasing one. Really greedy of Sony not to allow SD or micro SD cards, especially given the economic climate and the price they were charging. . .daylight robbery. Hope they learn their lesson from this although I think they'll bow out of the handheld market. . . leave it to Nintendo. As for the potential for ps3/vita crossover . . . it'll never take off. There's not a big enough market to produce games that use both. Teams are losing their jobs just now for poor sales. . its just too risky!
fluggy2003 15
New user

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 17 Dec 2012, 13:55

At least they can be found a bit cheaper now, nice piece of the kit the Vita just can't justify owning one meself.
KK-Headcharge78 61

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 17 Dec 2012, 14:10

I picked mine up at the start of december and even though ZAVVI are the absolute worst for delivering things i am so over the moon about it. I decided to get it instead of the WII U that i had saved for which to me is rubbish and the money left over to get a 3DS XL.

The second you play Uncharted for the first time your perception of handheld games changes, it blew me away completely. Whilst im not a graphics whore by any means theres no way i can now go back to playing the 3DS unless its a killer Nintendo only franchise game. So far the people i have showed it to are convinced they now will get one.

If they could make the wi-fi version hit 150.00 and convince more developers to do cross play games like wipeout and sly raccoon etc plus added to that get more psn games out for it then this console will have a slow but steady life span. Bear in mind that the 3DS still has very few games released monthly for it, same as the home consoles, release schedules are drying up all over the place.

To be fair even if it only lasts another year or so the stuff thats out now and out early next year with the added value of ps plus free stuff and the awesome internet browser means its more than paid for itself.

For xmas i've got Disgaea 3, ridge racer and Little big planet to play plus tommorow we all get mortal kombat for free from sony on ps plus.....Good times.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby laslowoodbine » 17 Dec 2012, 14:33

I got mine day one and haven't regretted it one bit. I had no doubts though as others had and still do though.
I would urge anyone slightly interested to give one a go as its a wonderful system and Sony really deserve a pat on the back. The sheer quality helps soften the blow to the wallet and PS plus offers are really pleasing.

The only criticism I would level at the Vita is the browser but recently they made a few updates and it's much more responsive.
laslowoodbine 49

Next