to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The 30 best FREE games to play now

Your comments on our articles.

Proper games you can play right now, for no money

When we say Free-to-Play most of you think of throw-away browser games like QWOP, Canabalt or One Button Bob; or money-grabbing Facebook titles like Farmville. And there is, admittedly, a lot of free clag out there. However, Free-to-Play has come on leaps and bounds in 2012 - free games are pushing close to AAA standards in some cases, and there are loads of 'full games' you can play in your browser - or via a reasonably small download - for little or no investment.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The 30 best FREE games to play now

Postby TheLastDodo » 14 Dec 2012, 21:47

Triple Town is fantastic.

Can I recommend one?

Middle Manager of Justice

Made by Double Fine (makers of Costume Quest, Stacking, Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Iron Brigade) and was released on iOS only a few days ago. Think Game Dev Story but instead of making games you're hiring and training superheroes. It's got that trademark Double Fine charm in it's music and humour. Combat is similar to Costume Quest, stat based and in real time instead of turn based like in CQ.

There are in-app purchases but I haven't needed to use any yet though I will be handing over some cash just to show my support to Double Fine.
TheLastDodo 77

Re: The 30 best FREE games to play now

Postby therat » 14 Dec 2012, 22:27

Why is Star Wars: TOR not free for me? Origin is telling me I have to purchase it. Or am I doing something wrong?
therat 28

Postby JD_Method » 15 Dec 2012, 17:39

therat wrote:Why is Star Wars: TOR not free for me? Origin is telling me I have to purchase it. Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you're using Origin. :P

I'm kidding, of course. I'm not sure why that is, but I had a look on the official website at: http://www.swtor.com/ and there's a button there to download and play the game for free. Haven't tried it myself, but could be worth checking it out if you're still having trouble.
JD_Method 58

Postby Danteska » 15 Dec 2012, 20:21

You forgot games like:
- Need for speed World (which was a pay to win some time ago but it's way better now).
- RaiderZ Europe (and the american version one too). This one is still in beta (same as planetside 2).
- Alliance of Valiant Arms.
- Drakensang Online.
Any many others.
Danteska 8
New user

Postby scooby359 » 15 Dec 2012, 20:41

Why are all the mobile links for Apple? Are none of these games available for Android or have you guys just not mastered linking to the Play store?
scooby359 21

Postby Terranova1 » 15 Dec 2012, 22:48

therat wrote:Why is Star Wars: TOR not free for me? Origin is telling me I have to purchase it. Or am I doing something wrong?

No your not doing anything wrong if you go via origin your paying for the subscription version and such will be paying the £8.99 pm fee on top of the cost of buying the game, if you go to swtor.com you can download the Free client and not be locked into any fee.
Terranova1 35

Postby Terranova1 » 15 Dec 2012, 22:49

Danteska wrote:You forgot games like:
- Need for speed World (which was a pay to win some time ago but it's way better now).
- RaiderZ Europe (and the american version one too). This one is still in beta (same as planetside 2).
- Drakensang Online.
Any many others.

RaiderZ isn't beta it got it's official release at the end of November.
Terranova1 35

Postby Srksi » 16 Dec 2012, 00:17

You forget Kingdom Rush??? Best Tower defense http://armorgames.com/play/12141/kingdom-rush
Srksi 7

Postby stueyjc » 16 Dec 2012, 01:02

Kerbal space program. Nuff said. :D
stueyjc 21

Postby BenThomasFoster » 16 Dec 2012, 07:46

tor is neither free, nor is it good. if the first 1hour and are any indication of the quality of this game it's terrible. LotR online would is no doubt better.

Likewise WoW isn't free either
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby G00N3R » 16 Dec 2012, 10:17

MechWarrior Online really should be on this list. Everyone seems to be raving about Hawken, but MWO has more mechs, more customisation, more maps and the combat is more tactical.
G00N3R 49

Postby alph3 » 17 Dec 2012, 10:25

I'm really surprised there's no love for Ghost Recon Online, or Battlefield Play4Free, both are excellent FPSs for the low low price of free. Maybe it's something to do with having to download a client?
alph3 39

Xbox Live: alph3
PSN ID: IrishManx
Steam: IrishManx

Postby TheSquareViking » 07 Jan 2013, 08:22

"experiencing the vast majority of the game's content" quote from the WOW up to lvl 20 part. I call major BS on this one. Lvl 20 out of 90 being the "vast majority"? Please, you don't even have half of your skills at this point, not to mention professions, areas, quests, endgame content, dungeons (you have WC, DM, RFC and Stockades?) you're lacking a class (Death Knight) and that's just the beginning.

I don't know about the rest of the gaming-community, but I find this article highly biased, at least concerning the WoW-part and I say that as a past WoW-player and a fan of the franchise in general.
TheSquareViking 2
New user

Postby Thijs » 26 Jan 2013, 09:59

Danteska wrote:You forgot games like:
- Drakensang Online.
Any many others.

How can they 'forget many other games' when it's a top 30? It's not a list of every free game in the world, it's a compilation of the best and apparently these games do not qualify.
Thijs 15
New user

Postby cliveandjane » 31 Jan 2013, 20:32

bob the builder provides the best games xD http://bobthebuildergames.net
Looking for interesting and thrilling online flash games? Enjoy a multitude of fun and exciting fireman sam games completely free to play!
cliveandjane 2
New user

Next