to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the PS4

Your comments on our articles.

CVG's Live PS4 launch centre is go! PlayStation 4? Orbis? We have all the latest

"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the

Postby stealth » 13 Dec 2012, 17:18

" digital downloads, DLC, firmware updates, tablets, mobiles, free-to-play, used games, piracy, sequels, spiralling development costs, the recession... "

And barely any of that has taken off
stealth 47

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Dec 2012, 17:21

stealth wrote:"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler."

nobody says it

I'm saying it :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby dwhlufc » 13 Dec 2012, 17:22

I don't mind the in-game adverts like you get in FIFA & Wipeout where their on the boards around the pitch but stopping the game would be disastrous.

I wouldn't purchase a full game through cloud gaming but if it was to offer a rental service then I really think (if priced right) that would be very attractive for alot of gamers and publishers/developers might actually do better, financially, if they were receiving a cut. There's been alot of game I've wanted to play this year but just haven't had the funds to buy them or like Christmas, where there's far to many games released and a rental of say Blops2 and AC3 would of been more preferable.
dwhlufc 75

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 13 Dec 2012, 17:32

I am really tired of these developers calling themselves artist and then complaining about used game sells at the same time. This is the only industry that thinks they should get paid twice for something that was already purchased. I can sell a used music cd, a used movie, a painting by Picasso, or a book by Samuel Clemente, and the only one that thinks they are owed something more is the game developers. If you want to be called an artist then know your work will allow you to be compensated one time only. However if you want to make as much money as possible then call yourself a gaming capitalist, because that is what you are.

Apples and oranges. Film and especially litterature have all kinds of public aids the games haven't. Until retail businesses pull their heads out of their arse and start giving creators and publishers a small fee out of each used game sold, we'll have to accept initiatives like online passes as a necessary evil.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby phate666 » 13 Dec 2012, 17:34

Numbers 4, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 are either pointless or deal breakers for me. In game ads my arse! I cant believe they'd try the locking out pre owned/register your game to PSN either. No other industry, ever in the world, expects to make money from the second hand market and nor should this one.
"You gonna eat that stapler?"

"Wanna split it?"
phate666 50

Xbox Live: PillowyBarbecue
PSN ID: phate666

Postby darkwarriorblake » 13 Dec 2012, 17:40

So they're hemorrhaging money and their bet is to make a console which does everything in its power to p**s off the people that would buy it? No reselling, tying everying to an account, massive anti-piracy bull and no PS3 backwards compatibility? Best hope these are rumors or Sony is done. I've had a PSX, PS2 and PS3, and no way am I buying a machine that is like the above.
darkwarriorblake 2
New user

Postby Mat Ombler » 13 Dec 2012, 17:43

Stan_Goodspeed wrote:
I am really tired of these developers calling themselves artist and then complaining about used game sells at the same time. This is the only industry that thinks they should get paid twice for something that was already purchased. I can sell a used music cd, a used movie, a painting by Picasso, or a book by Samuel Clemente, and the only one that thinks they are owed something more is the game developers. If you want to be called an artist then know your work will allow you to be compensated one time only. However if you want to make as much money as possible then call yourself a gaming capitalist, because that is what you are.

Apples and oranges. Film and especially litterature have all kinds of public aids the games haven't. Until retail businesses pull their heads out of their arse and start giving creators and publishers a small fee out of each used game sold, we'll have to accept initiatives like online passes as a necessary evil.

If you're smart enough anyway, you won't trade games in, as the trade-in prices for most stores are horrible, yet alone cash prices.

I'm with you though - If the big video game retailers (no names mentioned) pulled their heads out and gave fees out, that would solve most of the problems that are being faced at the moment, and also provide an incentive to trade games in as opposed to putting them on e-bay.
Mat Ombler 34

Xbox Live: JADE GOODYS BR
PSN ID: LordOmbler

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 13 Dec 2012, 17:52

Looks and sounds as silly as the camera looking curved block PS3 mock up they did. How many times does it also need to be said that Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 are NOT next gen? The developers have already said.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby toaplan » 13 Dec 2012, 17:53

stealth wrote:"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler."

nobody says it

Agree with Stealth this time. People love shiny new gadgets, unlike their unreliable laggy broadband connections (the number 1 source of consumer complaints). I've got a supposedly fast 10M fiber connection and it's often way too slow even for watching HD YouTube or Netflix. In fact, when the Net is too laggy, I switch to my PS3 games instead, which don't have to rely on the congested Internet as much.

So bring on the PS5, PS6 and so on. :) With optional, but not mandatory cloud-gaming.

Also, if either Sony or MS drops pre-owned and physical games, while the other one doesn't... the latter will be favoured by retailers and many gamers.
toaplan 73

Postby stealth » 13 Dec 2012, 18:01

StonecoldMC wrote:

nobody says it

I'm saying it :D !

still stands
stealth 47

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 13 Dec 2012, 18:11

Some things I like the sound of, some I dont. I will likely buy just the one console this gen, be it the xbox or the ps3, I very kuch doubt ill buy both as 90% of games are multiplat anyway now. Price wise im not hugely fussed, I know it will be expensive, and providing I feel im getting value for money when comparing the price to the tech im willing to pay up to £500 or there arounds. My decision will likely be made on which console is the least restrictive. If I want to play pre-owned games that is my choice. If I want to sell my console on, again that is my choice, it is not for Sony or Microsoft to decide what I can and cant do. Let me use pre-owned games and sell my property on after im finished with it and you will get my money. If you try and prevent me from doing so I will simply not buy your product, there are loads of alternatives for me to buy which will allow me to do so. You will only be harming yourself in the long run by trying to restrict my rights.
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby DoucheVader » 13 Dec 2012, 19:03

Actually I hear the PS4 Dev unit comes in 8GB and 16GB varieties. That doesn't mean the final unit will have that much memory. Often the Dev units have additional memory to run debuggers and such.

I honestly expect both systems to come in 8GB varieties.
DoucheVader 19

Postby only_777 » 13 Dec 2012, 19:04

B_G_G wrote:Um. 8 GB of RAM is considered "staggering"?

*must not be elitist PC owner must not be elitist PC owner*

That's... nice.

And 8 GB of high speed low latency RAM costs me £26. For Sony, who will be buying in bulk, not needing the high speeds and embedding rather than buying in sticks, you can cut that price by AT LEAST a third. Its a no brainer.

If the next gen of consoles (sorry Wii U, you just aren't) doesn't have 32mb eDRAM and 8GB of RAM then 1080p/60 with next gen graphical engines will not happen.

Radeon HD 7970. No, no, no, just no. Cost issues aside (its a £300 component guys) the heat and power requirements mean the console would need to be the size of a fridge.

And be a fridge.

Utter fail for totally not understanding how a game console works. You'r a typical PC elitist, thinks he knows what he's talking about, but really understands nothing.

You have made the text book mistake and put a consoles hardware spec next to a gaming rig and thinks the console is not as powerful because the numbers are less, but totally forget about the software which is actually driving the hardware.
Ever wondered why a less powerful Mac can out perform a PC? Well because the software is written to a specific hardware set so the hardware is working to its best capability.
It's not code which is optimized for a general set of hardware items which all PC code has to be. As PC's come in all shapes and sizes, game engines like Unreal are very general in the way they are written and hardware is wasted on code that is not actually written with a certain GPU/CPU in mind.

Here is some actual written proof for you just to put an end to this stupid idiotic statement that PC elitists keep making.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-26-assassins-creed-3-pc-system-requirements-chop-windows-xp-support

This is the actual MINIMUM spec for Assassins Creed 3 on PC:

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ or better recommended
RAM: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c-compliant with Shader Model 4.0 or higher (see supported list)*
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compliant (5.1 surround sound recommended)
DVD-ROM: Dual-layer drive
Hard Drive Space: 17 GB

Now AC3 running at minimum graphic settings does not look anywhere near as good as the PS3/360 version. But just look at what you need. It's a FAR higher than what the PS3 or 360 has, same as the CPU spec.
only_777 61

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 13 Dec 2012, 19:09

I like it so far with an exception of locking out used games and promoting ads during game. If MS avoids this problem, then PS 4 is going to be left behind. In this economy, with low budget, not many people are going to be happy paying full price for an average game that's been out for 6 months or more. Games are expensive as is, many people can't afford brand new games. If the next Xbox will continue have used games available, then I think PS 4 sales are going to be jeopardized.
1Nightmare1 51

Postby FlacidDonkeyGuy » 13 Dec 2012, 19:27

B_G_G wrote:Um. 8 GB of RAM is considered "staggering"?

*must not be elitist PC owner must not be elitist PC owner*

That's... nice.

And 8 GB of high speed low latency RAM costs me £26. For Sony, who will be buying in bulk, not needing the high speeds and embedding rather than buying in sticks, you can cut that price by AT LEAST a third. Its a no brainer.

If the next gen of consoles (sorry Wii U, you just aren't) doesn't have 32mb eDRAM and 8GB of RAM then 1080p/60 with next gen graphical engines will not happen.

Radeon HD 7970. No, no, no, just no. Cost issues aside (its a £300 component guys) the heat and power requirements mean the console would need to be the size of a fridge.

And be a fridge.

+1 I do think however, it will have a Ram slot for the advent of Super HD TV. I also believe the the graphics core will be at the low end of HD7000 series, if it is indeed a APU. Then again to the console masses, the jump will be phenomenal and no doubt it will be "sold at a loss". To be lapped up, just like the guff about "overheads" & Bloated OS's. To detract from the fact the hardware is not as as good a deal as it is made out to be. When you look that these quotes are made by guys under contract tied to console platforms & publishers. If you can't see what anyone with average intelligence knows about business & commerce more fool you.
FlacidDonkeyGuy 35

Xbox Live: FlacidDonkeyGuy
PSN ID: Raviolay
Steam: Raviolay

PreviousNext