to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the PS4

Your comments on our articles.

CVG's Live PS4 launch centre is go! PlayStation 4? Orbis? We have all the latest

"They say this is the last console, and I am certainly a believer in that", says Nvidia's head of cloud gaming, Phil Eisler.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby wwinterj » 13 Dec 2012, 14:24

"PS4 won't run PS3 games." "£400 - £500 for the system"
Sure these are all rumours but these two things really put me off. I don't give a crap about cloud gaming, download only titles or anything like that. A retail game and a normal control pad is all I want. The reason to upgrade would be the graphics, physics and so on. However not been able to play my PS3 games on the system makes me want to stay with my PS3 longer and the price is a joke. The reason I don't game on the PC is due to how expensive it is. Nothing in these rumours make me want to jump ship at all. It sounds more bad than good.
wwinterj 50

Postby theopopp » 13 Dec 2012, 14:30

In game ads would be the worst thing ever.
theopopp 53

Re: PSM3 investigates: The 15 game-changing features of the

Postby RustySpoon80 » 13 Dec 2012, 14:38

There is no way Sony (or MS) will lock out used games. There are too many people who wouldn't buy one if they did.
It'd also stop people from renting from Lovefilm etc.
These articles should be called "The 15 potential game-changing features".

Hopefully this E3 we'll actually get some news on Next-Gen.
RustySpoon80 55

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Dec 2012, 14:40

Sounds suspiciously like the NextBox?

Roll on 2013 anyway!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Gambini » 13 Dec 2012, 14:42

Everything on that list truly gets me excited... with the exception of motion control... just drop it already.

I think that providing a cloud based back catalog is a superb implementation of "backwards compatibility".
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby Domin666 » 13 Dec 2012, 14:43

This is what I think Sony bought back the cell chip plant so why change the core,also programers are use to it's unique structure to get better results from it.I belive to keep cost down they will bundle 4 cell chips on a motherboard add some big ram and new graphics card.Also Sony paid 1/4 billon pounds for some kick ass software that pumps out this gen graphics with twice as many details per square meter but the program was running on a chiped xbox last gen tech.All this together if I'm correct will mean cheaper modle but more power to weight ratio bit like good sports cars.
Domin666 45

Postby TheLastDodo » 13 Dec 2012, 14:44

I find this rumour more interesting

Sony is near the middle end part of their Project Orbis, their next generation PS4. It will not be called Playstation 4, teams have started to call the final name as Omni. Omni will reflect their new hardware and content delivery philosophy. Omni will be “very capable” of doing modern day graphics compared to a Direct X 11 level of technology like Unreal Engine 4 and Frostbite 2. Compared to Wii U, it is better, but not the biggest leap in the world according to developer friends of mine. The key is the Omniviewer, a thin, lite and slick head mounted autosteroptic display that can track the users head and presents a 360 image view with semi transparent AMOLED screens. This can turn any TV into a 3D TV, as well as add extra augmented reality information outside of the TV screen. One application from an entertainment perspective seeing movies in 2k, 4k or IMAX resolutions as their original size where you have to move your head to look at the full picture being displayed. Can also synch with the Vita. The new controllers whether it’s the Dual-Moves or the Classic DualShock will have pulse sensors in the grips for biofeedback gameplay. Plans are a Basic Unit with 160 gigs and just the system with controller at $350-$399 and one with the Omniviewer and a pack-in game for $450-$499. Aims are for a September 2013 launch.

Omni is also part of their philosophy with the new OmniCloud, the new version of Gaikai. This service will not only cloud stream PS1, PS2 and select PS3 games to Playstation Certified devices but will also allow every digital and retail purchase to have access to a copy on the cloud. Basically, you buy one game, you can use it on any Plyastation device. Direct hardware Backwards Compatibility will be available by a $70 – $99 dongle that is plugged into the Omni that contains a PS3 on a chip with Cell to run games.

Known first party games in development for Playstation Omni are: Next Gen Uncharted, Next Gen Siren, The Boydguard, Wipeout Omni, Bump In the Night, Killzone 4, Gran Turismo Prologue, Next Gen Media Molecule, Omni Fitness.

Ni-Oh is being completely remade from the ground up in Unreal Engine 4 exclusive for PlayStation Omni.

Square Enix is preparing to bring biofeedback zombie hunting game Judecca to the Omni at launch.

Of course, pure rumour and speculation.

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rumor- ... -next-gen/
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Cryotek » 13 Dec 2012, 14:47

This is all vague bullshit. Like when they claimed to have pics of what the PS4's graphics were like, and used screenshots from 2 year old PC tech demos.
Cryotek 36

Postby qSPARTANp » 13 Dec 2012, 14:55

If they dont F**K OFF the lame excuse they call a controller I will skip it all together this time round!! Fed up of that little B*****D ruining my ability to play games properly, as well as idiot developers putting gun TRIGGERS on the bumbers?? HELLO??!!!
qSPARTANp 49

Postby B_G_G » 13 Dec 2012, 14:56

Um. 8 GB of RAM is considered "staggering"?

*must not be elitist PC owner must not be elitist PC owner*

That's... nice.

And 8 GB of high speed low latency RAM costs me £26. For Sony, who will be buying in bulk, not needing the high speeds and embedding rather than buying in sticks, you can cut that price by AT LEAST a third. Its a no brainer.

If the next gen of consoles (sorry Wii U, you just aren't) doesn't have 32mb eDRAM and 8GB of RAM then 1080p/60 with next gen graphical engines will not happen.

Radeon HD 7970. No, no, no, just no. Cost issues aside (its a £300 component guys) the heat and power requirements mean the console would need to be the size of a fridge.

And be a fridge.
Last edited by B_G_G on 13 Dec 2012, 15:25, edited 4 times in total.
B_G_G 51

Postby MPH » 13 Dec 2012, 15:05

I can't see them using a 7970; that'll be over half the cost of the console. Also many other rumours I've read stated it would be a much weaker card in the 7 series line-up, for example the 7770.
MPH 53

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 13 Dec 2012, 15:06

Will PSN work properly on PS4 this time?

I say this as I have never had a problem with Xbox Live but just could not get the damn PSN to work properly, hence why I ditched the PS3.

I have never changed my internet only upgrading it to make if faster and it works with everything else perfectly.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby kovin » 13 Dec 2012, 15:33

I'm old, and scared of change and the future
kovin 60

PSN ID: GregorKovin

Postby ingy » 13 Dec 2012, 15:54

qSPARTANp wrote:If they dont F**K OFF the lame excuse they call a controller I will skip it all together this time round!! Fed up of that little B*****D ruining my ability to play games properly, as well as idiot developers putting gun TRIGGERS on the bumbers?? HELLO??!!!

Agreed, they really have to sort out the controller this time around, having experienced the 360 controller there's no going back.

Also they need to sort out the little things like inverted thumbstick control settings that are stored, i know it might seem petty but these are just one of many annoyances that sony overlooked this gen' and while they're at it move the thumbsticks apart so my thumbs don't hit in the middle (big hands) and do something about the awful quality of chat, ie in box headsets ala 360 would be a blessing, relying on the public to buy their own headsets inevitably results in an awful mess of differing quality voice chat.

Oh and one more thing, drop the useless motion control and 3d rubbish...phew that's all for now bye.
ingy 63

Postby ingy » 13 Dec 2012, 15:59

kovin wrote:I'm old, and scared of change and the future

Change is only good if it's better, oh and if it wasn't for your elders you wouldn't even be here.
ingy 63

Next