to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dissected: The Phantom Pain trailer - and its 21 Metal Gear

Your comments on our articles.

1970s dashboards, banded blue lights and cast iron proof Phantom Pain is linked to MGS: Ground Zeroes

The Phantom Pain is a Metal Gear Solid game. That's beyond debate.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dissected: The Phantom Pain trailer - and its 21 Metal Gear

Postby StonecoldMC » 12 Dec 2012, 12:37

Kojima really is a scamp, ain't he?

Not a big fan of MGS Games but if the hints and messages seen in this article are true, he sure pays some amount of attention to the fans.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Re: Dissected: The Phantom Pain trailer - and its 21 Metal G

Postby Barry316 » 12 Dec 2012, 12:54

Well whatever it is it's certainly got a buzz going in a pretty stale time.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby XpAcErX » 12 Dec 2012, 13:52

It would be hilarious if this was just a dream sequence for big boss which would essentially be confusing by nature and Kojima released this particular scene knowing it would through everyone for a loop trying to figure it out.
XpAcErX 22

Steam: VGBetas
xFire: VGBetas

Postby Yupppi » 12 Dec 2012, 13:58

Few things you didn't mention at all:

The statue of Saladin - Big Boss has been called Saladin.
The female soldier in flames without any mask.
In the end of the trailer the same kid hovers in the air over Big Boss when the soldier is pointing at him.
Yupppi 1
New user

Postby HBgamer » 12 Dec 2012, 14:06

Why has no-one discussed/mentioned the similarities between the missing arm and the Liquid/Ocelot arm situation from previous games? Has to be significant.
HBgamer 33

Postby Cogglesz » 12 Dec 2012, 14:24

Yeah, I feel the Psycho mantis puppet apears at the end too next to the soilder pointing the light at snake, i had a little look on google at the dolls in mgs4 that screaming mantis had and the arms on the dolls have a slight angle to them like an elbow but lower down, but comparing what i seen with the trailer they seemed to line up pretty well if not perfectly, the size of the object looked really similiar to the psycho mantis doll, i was a little too hyped up feeling it was 100% MGS V to come up with any type of theory about what its actually all about, i do alot of audio work and i'm really into my music and i could just feel that everything in there was metal gear but a little darker and had more composition than ever before giving me that sense of evolution, the sounds and music was the second give away for me, first being the character is spot on with snake down to the scars, big thanks to Daniel for dissecting it visually though, i'm really looking forward to the next article.

The only Theory I do have though is the feeling that Ground Zero will be the current gen Fox Engine game and MGS:V The Phantom Pain is next gen due for 2014/15 its a long way away i feel but its going to be a beautiful game, they've showed plenty to get fans hyped up and i love all the subliminal messages right down to those hexagonal floor tiles but not enough to properly show you what the game will be like to play, thats what has me so excited, the fact that it will be a true evolution of a big franchise that i love, we've not seen any big franchises show off next gen capabilities apart from zelda and that was to current gen standards, i'm really looking forward to when kojima confirms it as the 5th MGS and not some crazy dream troll trailer designed to wind us up, i don't think he'd do that to us though, he did say that if the fans wanted more snake they'd get it and we did :D, not to mention the fact i don't think he's denied anything and is just keeping his mouth shut, i think if this was another game not related kojima himself would have assured all the fans by now its not his work and has nothing to do with metal gear.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby tootupontheroof » 12 Dec 2012, 14:31

The hospital is actually in a British territory in Cyprus, not Africa.

Here's proof... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=3654

Also, the guy in the corridor that's on fire is very likely to be Volgin...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=5676
tootupontheroof 5

Postby Ali_ » 12 Dec 2012, 14:32

HBgamer wrote:Why has no-one discussed/mentioned the similarities between the missing arm and the Liquid/Ocelot arm situation from previous games? Has to be significant.

It might be deliberately misleading, but Ocelot lost his right arm, not left.

A lot of the article seems pretty well researched but I don't think the harness is remotely similar. Most prosthetic arms have to have a harness. How else would they stay on? Here's a technical diagram from the interweb:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/wp-co ... phic_f.jpg
Ali_ 56

Postby HBgamer » 12 Dec 2012, 16:21

Ali_ wrote:
HBgamer wrote:Why has no-one discussed/mentioned the similarities between the missing arm and the Liquid/Ocelot arm situation from previous games? Has to be significant.

It might be deliberately misleading, but Ocelot lost his right arm, not left.

A lot of the article seems pretty well researched but I don't think the harness is remotely similar. Most prosthetic arms have to have a harness. How else would they stay on? Here's a technical diagram from the interweb:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/wp-co ... phic_f.jpg

I know it's the other arm I just think it's quite an odd subject to cover again don't you?

I thought the harness part was the weakest similarity but it still impressed me someone noticed it.

Gutted they didn't talk about the person on fire with no mask though. Relation to Meryl perhaps?
HBgamer 33

Postby Ali_ » 12 Dec 2012, 17:18

The thing that's starting to bug me about MGS is the soap opera level of how everyone is related to/has snogged/has tried to kill/is cloned from (delete as applicable) everyone else. Can't we have new characters?
Ali_ 56

Postby MattyR95 » 12 Dec 2012, 18:53

Didn't even think of a lot of these, impressive. Although, I didn't even notice the kid in the elevator (due to crappy videos).
MattyR95 53

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 12 Dec 2012, 19:07

I do think Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are one and the same, if anything Phantom Pain looks slightly less impressive graphics-wise so I wouldn't expect a generation gap between these two.

What's interesting is the timeframe, though; Kojima said Ground Zeroes was a prologue and it looks like Big Boss (if that's him) gets severely wounded in Phantom Pain. The "confidential" artwork from earlier this year shows him with longer hair, a new affiliation ("Diamond Dogs") and a left hand that's significantly different from the right (no wrist-long glove). And the Ground Zeroes trailer implied Mother Base being under scrutiny, while Kojima confirmed a smartphone companion app for the base-building and micromanagement gameplay (which would make sense gameplay-wise only if Mother Base was rebuilt from scratch).

My theory's that Cuba is a bare bones introduction akin to the tanker level from MGS2, where you only learn the ropes and a few story elements, only for Big Boss to be severely beaten, waking up in this Phantom Pain hospital in Cyprus (if the map - and wikipedia - is correct, it looks a hell lot like Britain's Sovereign Base Areas) with a prosthetic limb, no Mother Base and a score to settle with Zero regarding Les Enfants Terribles. Then the base-building starts again (in Africa?) and the more open-world elements like helicopter travel and such are introduced.

And that "V has come to" bit with the supposedly russian accent, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is The Boss ("V" for Voyevoda) being revived as a cyborg ninja or cloned, as a parallel to Big Boss' "phantom pain" (the loss of his limb, and the liquidation of his mentor he could never cope with). Sounds preposterous alright, but less than Liquid's mind located in his arm :mrgreen:
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Cloud-xviii » 12 Dec 2012, 20:09

I'm pretty sure the pants are from mgs games aswell end of mgs4 raiden in hospital =)
Cloud-xviii 1
New user

Postby MithEd » 12 Dec 2012, 21:49

You write that the car shown in the trailer is right hand drive and probably british origin, probably right as there's a union jack flag on the wall at the very beginning of the trailer.
This game looks so awesome :D
MithEd 43

PSN ID: MithEd
Steam: Mith1987

Postby Imaduck » 13 Dec 2012, 05:51

Hey why is Joshua Graham in it ?! :shock: Also good to see MGS continuing the trend of terrible Engrish naming :lol:
Imaduck 58

Next