to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

OPINION: Why Far Cry 3 is the best game of the year

Your comments on our articles.

Ubisoft sequel is everything Assassin's Creed should have been, argues Michael Gapper

Let's start by talking about why Assassin's Creed 3 is pish. It's a game obsessed with making you play exactly how the designers had intended. Those rewards you get for full synchronisation aren't rewards for playing well; in fact, withholding them is a punishment for playing a mission any way the designers didn't intend. Assassin's Creed 3 wants you to hit certain beats to look stylish and will end the game if you don't dance to its tune.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby RadiNightingale » 11 Dec 2012, 11:39

Wow fantastic article, and first I've ever read on CVG, scrolled to the bottom to see it was by my favorite games journalist!
RadiNightingale 10
New user

Postby karkify » 11 Dec 2012, 12:06

It's a great game that builds on many successful ideas of recent games (The hunting from RDR, the exploration and viewpoints from AC and so on) but no one seems to mention the awful pacing on the game.
The first island is nicely paced and ends well, and could wrap up there and then, but then it throws you over to the next island for a very short repeat of the first and ends on such a weird note.

Within 20 hours I had:
Crafted everything (which can be done completely on the first island)
Unlocked all signature weapons
Owned all regular weapons via radio stations/ bought attachments
Collected just under half the relics and half the letters
Completed just under half of the hunting quests and most wanted
MAXED OUT MY SKILL TREE (way before the end of the game)
Completed the story

Now tell me, after 20 hours of doing that, what point is there to complete the rest when, one, money is now useless, and 2, XP goes towards nothing at all. This makes supply drops, races, wanted dead and hunting missions pointless. One of the main things for money to go towards is weapons, but, you can unlock every single weapon for free via radio towers. The skills were also strangely tied into the campaign, so rather than leveling up or completing certain requirements to unlock skills, all you had to do was progress a little further in the story and all of a sudden you can buy every skill available, aside from 3 or 4 skills which required things like "buy 3 bulletproof jackets"... really?
So yes, seems people are forgetting that despite being fun, it really was poorly thought out. It's like they fixed many of the flaws of Far Cry 2 (respawning enemies and bases) but then broke others in the process (meaningful currency and progression).
A good game? Yes.
GOTY? Definitely not.
karkify 50

Re: OPINION: Why Far Cry 3 is the best game of the year

Postby ingy » 11 Dec 2012, 12:07

Great game , it's just a shame flashing weapons/items and on screen prompts spoil the illusion.

Being told for the millionth time to press 'x' to pick something up or press thumbstick to steady aim etc etc, ....please, please developers give us the choice to switch this hand holding rubbish off.
ingy 63

Postby illage2 » 11 Dec 2012, 12:17

Fantastic Article.

Far Cry 3 is amazing, but there needs to be some incentive to play the game after you've completed the main campaign. A "New Game +" mode or something is needed, but Ubisoft don't seem to give two f**ks about the Xbox version, only offering updates to the PC version and DLC to the PS3 version.

- Needs New Game +
- Needs more Single Player DLC
- Needs more Single Player guns such as a Crossbow and minigun.
- Needs more attachments for AK47
- Needs more Camos for guns such as Gold Camos.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby nolim » 11 Dec 2012, 12:53

Those comments about Assassins Creed at the start sum up exactly why i haven't bothered with AC3, AC2 was a great sandbox but since full sync was introduced each sucessive game has become less enjoyable and more restrictive until Revelations put me off the franchise altogether. Do the designers really not see that doing the missions in your own way is what makes games like this fun?
nolim 39

Postby SWiscool » 11 Dec 2012, 13:11

Just for clarification, in AC3 do you fail the mission if you don't get full sync? Or is there some kind of negative effect if you don't get it?
SWiscool 29

Postby rubblemaker » 11 Dec 2012, 13:14

RadiNightingale wrote:scrolled to the bottom to see it was by my favorite games journalist!

you have 'favourite games journalists'? thats just a bit ... creepy dude. Journalists aren't rock stars you know. You're not gonna go trying to pap the guy or camp outside his house hoping to get his autograph are you? ..man... the worlds full of weirdos... :?
rubblemaker 42

Postby StonecoldMC » 11 Dec 2012, 13:21

I'm struggling to get into it at the moment. Haven't been able to invest enough time into it to have a proper session and get a proper feel for the game yet. Reckon it'll be a few weeks before I can get into it proper :cry: .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby lonewolf2002 » 11 Dec 2012, 13:49

StonecoldMC wrote:I'm struggling to get into it at the moment. Haven't been able to invest enough time into it to have a proper session and get a proper feel for the game yet. Reckon it'll be a few weeks before I can get into it proper :cry: .

Bah call yourself a gamer, :P :lol:
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby lonewolf2002 » 11 Dec 2012, 13:51

illage2 wrote:Fantastic Article.

Far Cry 3 is amazing, but there needs to be some incentive to play the game after you've completed the main campaign. A "New Game +" mode or something is needed, but Ubisoft don't seem to give two f**ks about the Xbox version, only offering updates to the PC version and DLC to the PS3 version.

- Needs New Game +
- Needs more Single Player DLC
- Needs more Single Player guns such as a Crossbow and minigun.
- Needs more attachments for AK47
- Needs more Camos for guns such as Gold Camos.

PC has not received new game plus only fixes for bugs, is the 360 version bugged at all?
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Solm » 11 Dec 2012, 14:07

It's a great game but I'm not sure it's game of the year for me. Most time spent playing this year was Kingdom's of Amalur, 60 hours and still play it from time to time. I'm loving Hitman as well it's great imo. I never played any of the other Hitman's but this one is brilliant. What about the Walking Dead what a story.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 53

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby flash501 » 11 Dec 2012, 14:16

rubblemaker wrote:
RadiNightingale wrote:scrolled to the bottom to see it was by my favorite games journalist!

you have 'favourite games journalists'? thats just a bit ... creepy dude. Journalists aren't rock stars you know. You're not gonna go trying to pap the guy or camp outside his house hoping to get his autograph are you? ..man... the worlds full of weirdos... :?

He has a favourite games journalist so now the guy's a stalker? Get a damn grip, man!

I thought that was a very entertaining article, I can see why RadiNightingale is a fan of the writer.
Last edited by flash501 on 11 Dec 2012, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby StonecoldMC » 11 Dec 2012, 14:16

lonewolf2002 wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:I'm struggling to get into it at the moment. Haven't been able to invest enough time into it to have a proper session and get a proper feel for the game yet. Reckon it'll be a few weeks before I can get into it proper :cry: .

Bah call yourself a gamer, :P :lol:

I do! Im a Casual Gamer 8) .

:wink:
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby wishface » 11 Dec 2012, 14:41

Game of the year? It's not even game of the month!

Spoiler:

the poker match at the end is one example of the sheer utter stupidity of the story. If Hoyt knows who you are why not just shoot you? He's happy to stab Sam in the neck. How then do you go from playing poker with him and him chopping your finger off to suddenly going into purple light quick time knife fight? If you fail that QTE it just loads it up again and you try again! What utter nonsense! YOu can't actually fail, you just get bored. Never mind that nonsense with killing/saving your stupid friends.
The game is padded to f**k with a ton of repetition. Hunt animals....endlessly. Liberate outposts...repeatedly.
Did ubisoft put something in the water? Where did people's critical faculties go? The UI sucks, the controls are unchangeable and awkward on the 360, the graphics look poor with lots of technical problems. The island is empty. Is it kool becuz you can shootz ppl? Wow!
wishface 41

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 11 Dec 2012, 14:47

The Walking Dead is better :P
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Next