to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Xbox World investigates: The 14 game-changing features of Xb

Your comments on our articles.

Mag uses penultimate issue to 'tell you everything we know'

Way back in January, Xbox World revealed everything its sources had to say about the next Xbox, from CPU specs to details on the bizarre augmented reality glasses you'll likely be using in late 2014. Six months later, a leaked Microsoft document confirmed it all.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Xbox World investigates: The 14 game-changing features of Xb

Postby metallicorphan » 10 Dec 2012, 16:37

I thought Battlefield 4 was for current gen systems,wasn't there to be a beta next year when you bought MoH game a few months back?..i doubt that beta was to be on next gen machines

This is the only system(depending on price)i plan to buy day one...I have had a lot of great times with the Xbox 360 and have turned the sodding thing on nearly every day :D (which aint bad as i bought mine Launch day)

Hopefully Microsoft will stick with the same controllers they have now,best controllers out there,and nothing wrong with them(especially now the new ones have that twirly D-Pad)...they can keep all the gimmicky b*****ks that Nintendo have forced them into though
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Re: Xbox World investigates: The 14 game-changing features o

Postby adison » 10 Dec 2012, 16:44

So it's going to be like a Playstation 3 then!?
there's a time and place for everything. and this is neither the time nor the place

psn id :- Johnny_Damage_
adison 43

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 10 Dec 2012, 16:47

I know many people dont like Kinect or motion gaming but I have a feeling Kinect 2 could revolutionise the genre. Microsoft are obviously serious about making it happen and are investing a lot of money in the technology, making it a prominent feature of the next xbox, rather than an expensive add on half way through its life cycle. If we are to believe what is being said, developers will have had 2+ years to work with the tech and could bring about some truly amazing results; proper 3d, proper augmented reality....f**king minority report kinda stuff. I really am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby wwinterj » 10 Dec 2012, 16:57

adison wrote:So it's going to be like a Playstation 3 then!?

That's all it needs to be but with better graphics. The same an be said for PS4. The price is going to be the biggest issue here.
wwinterj 49

Postby moogiesboy » 10 Dec 2012, 17:08

So, if this stuff is for real (big if), technically we don't even need joypads. Even if we insist on using them, they could be easily produced holographically with kinect tracking finger and thumb movements. WOWser.
moogiesboy 50

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby mus42 » 10 Dec 2012, 17:15

Nothing about backwards compatibility with 360 games? and they really should allow the use of 360 controllers too, but of course they wont I expect..
mus42 31

Postby toaplan » 10 Dec 2012, 17:21

adison wrote:So it's going to be like a Playstation 3 then!?

Basically. Except that it'll have better gffx, be profitable and bundled with the latest installment in the popular franchise "Gears of Halo".
Last edited by toaplan on 10 Dec 2012, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
toaplan 73

Postby rivariad » 10 Dec 2012, 17:40

i'm up for paying up to $1000 for a next gen console, i mean whats the point of bitching if a single game costs $60 nowadays
rivariad 46

Postby Farmboy74 » 10 Dec 2012, 17:55

If this article is true, the new Xbox is going to cause some serious wallet damage. If Nintendo are charging between £250 - £350 for a Wii U in the Uk I think this is going cost somewhere between £450 - £500 minimum. The point being I can't afford these prices this time round as at the beginning of this gen I didn't have three kids and the economy hadn't gone down the pan!!. Price is going to be a big factor for me this time around.
Farmboy74 52

Postby casshern09 » 10 Dec 2012, 18:15

I'd like to know exaclty what CPU this is. Because it sounds at the moment, like he is talking out of his rear. Most people will know that any high end CPU for PC is multithreaded. Meaning it makes each pyhsical core run as two cores. So where are they getting this new one that splits it in to four. As far as I know, this tech does not exist. Not for mass production anyway.
I had heard they were using one of the AMD octo cores previously. Which tbh are awful compared to Intel cores, but still.
casshern09 37

Postby Black Mantis » 10 Dec 2012, 18:22

If this is accurate, then I'm very interested. :D
Black Mantis 67

Postby Spider82 » 10 Dec 2012, 18:33

Its going to be a long year waiting for the true next gen consoles. Can't wait to see the improvements in physics and bigger MP scale. Stick to the standard Controller design please MS...If its not broken, don't fix it!
Spider82 37

Postby flyfletch » 10 Dec 2012, 18:56

The next Xbox is going to see MS dominate, i can see it coming, they would need to f**k up big time not to take over completely this time around. They can afford to take a hit on each system unlike the others, so i can see them doing it to get ahead especially with the tech listed here,

I would be VERY surprised if Sony could afford to match this. Again you never know though!...
flyfletch 70

Postby Taus » 10 Dec 2012, 19:07

casshern09 wrote:I'd like to know exaclty what CPU this is. Because it sounds at the moment, like he is talking out of his rear. Most people will know that any high end CPU for PC is multithreaded. Meaning it makes each pyhsical core run as two cores. So where are they getting this new one that splits it in to four. As far as I know, this tech does not exist. Not for mass production anyway.
I had heard they were using one of the AMD octo cores previously. Which tbh are awful compared to Intel cores, but still.

You're getting multi core processors and multi threading processing mixed up, which is a easy mistake to make

Multicore processors are at a hardware level and have been around for many years as I'm sure everyone know

Multithreading is a software / code level operation where the thread is a basic unit / process / function ready for execution via the CPU, schedules / queue for processing via the OS. You are right, you can multithreading on a single core, if the OS supports context switching, I.e. it makes it appear to the application that concurrent processing is happening on two or more threads but what it is actually doing is the OS switching processing cycles between multiple threads sequentially

Obviously, multithreading is much simpler when you have multiple physical cores to truly process different threads concurently but context switching will still happen and the processing capacity is not linear, there are diminishing returns to multiple cores. Fundamentally, according to chip architecture, each core will eventually share resources on the processors such as the BUS & the registries etc. Also, from an application point of view, you need to optimize the code, little point in having multiple cores if each process needs to access the same piece of code on the disk, the I/O off the disk will be sequential

Having said all of that, the new box sounds like a 4 socket, quad core, x86 workstation / server hosting a cut down version of windows. Nothing implausible or far fetched about that, technology is already available and deployed in Business, I have designed systems based on this architecture myself

The only question is how much will the box cost, it doesn't sound very cheap
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby flyfletch » 10 Dec 2012, 19:20

Taus wrote:
casshern09 wrote:I'd like to know exaclty what CPU this is. Because it sounds at the moment, like he is talking out of his rear. Most people will know that any high end CPU for PC is multithreaded. Meaning it makes each pyhsical core run as two cores. So where are they getting this new one that splits it in to four. As far as I know, this tech does not exist. Not for mass production anyway.

You're getting multi core processors and multi threading processing mixed up, which is a easy mistake to make

Multicore processors are at a hardware level and have been around for many years as I'm sure everyone know

Multithreading is a software / code level operation where the thread is a basic unit / process / function ready for execution via the CPU, schedules / queue for processing via the OS. You are right, you can multithreading on a single core, if the OS supports context switching, I.e. it makes it appear to the application that concurrent processing is happening on two or more threads but what it is actually doing is the OS switching processing cycles between multiple threads sequentially

Obviously, multithreading is much simpler when you have multiple physical cores to truly process different threads concurently but context switching will still happen and the processing capacity is not linear, there are diminishing returns to multiple cores. Fundamentally, according to chip architecture, each core will eventually share resources on the processors such as the BUS & the registries etc. Also, from an application point of view, you need to optimize the code, little point in having multiple cores if each process needs to access the same piece of code on the disk, the I/O off the disk will be sequential

Having said all of that, the new box sounds like a 4 socket, quad core, x86 workstation / server hosting a cut down version of windows. Nothing implausible or far fetched about that, technology is already available and deployed in Business, I have designed systems based on this architecture myself

The only question is how much will the box cost, it doesn't sound very cheap

Unless as i said they take a (sizable) hit on each system! :)
flyfletch 70

Next