to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U: The launch verdict

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo's new console aims to satisfy every audience - but is it worth purchasing before Christmas?

Targeting the untapped potential of casual gaming masses made the Wii the best selling home console in Nintendo's decorated history. In the process, core gamers shifted attentions away from the Japanese giant - but Nintendo wants them back. Or, at least, we think it does.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Imaduck » 30 Nov 2012, 14:50

Good balanced read. Thanks CVG. Agree with you for what it's worth :lol:
Imaduck 58

Postby richomack360 » 30 Nov 2012, 14:52

If you have got the cash and love Nintendo - get one

If you want to wait for the next generation of machines - don't

My only slight point is that the sales will not be as good as the Wii. Reason being is that the fatties (who were probably accountable for about quarter of the sales) , with their dusty WiiFit's will realise they didn't actually use it and will avoid getting something similar. I won't be getting my bird one as she used the Wii board twice I think !

Cannot wait for the first next gen machine to be finally released ! :)
Last edited by richomack360 on 30 Nov 2012, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richomack360 59
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Wii U: The launch verdict

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 14:53

Seems like a waste of 3 pages just to say what was said in the summation........I guess I will never understand hardware reviews. Then again i didnt like usa todays 5/5 review when I read it in the paper either.

@richomack, its next gen any way you slice it.
stealth 47

Postby Imaduck » 30 Nov 2012, 14:55

I'd argue that it's in a gen of its own frankly. It's not current, or what will be seen as "next", but somewhere in the middle. I believe the sole aim of the console is to bridge the gap and attempt to win over the PS3 and 360 fans before the "next gen" from Sony and MS hits.
Imaduck 58

Postby richomack360 » 30 Nov 2012, 14:56

stealth wrote:Seems like a waste of 3 pages just to say what was said in the summation........I guess I will never understand hardware reviews. Then again i didnt like usa todays 5/5 review when I read it in the paper either.

@richomack, its next gen any way you slice it.

It's really not dear, adding a bigger exhaust and fuzzy dice to my old BMW doesn't make it a Ferrari. It's a halfway house until Nintendo release their new SNES in 2016

If only.

richomack360 59
Global Moderator

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 14:58

This is why I say gen has everything to do with being the next system in the line and nothing to do with specs.

Ex 1. wii, ps3, 360. These constitute the 7th gen. Not because of spec parity but because they were all the next systems in in the line...........

Ex 2. Portables. Ok the ds. Its specs pretty much mirror a high end n64 but is it actually a 5th gen device? No of course not, its a 7th gen device as well.........

Ex 3. Devs have already said whatever the ps4 and 720 are like mid end and up pc's will already be more capable. So should we call the pc thats the only thing next gen? Of course not. The ps4 and 720 are the next systems in line for there product lines.

So I conclude next gen=time/product line and not specs.
stealth 47

Postby Barry316 » 30 Nov 2012, 15:00

It was easier when the bloody consoles said 16bit. I had no idea what it all meant but by crikey it didn't half look good on the box.
Death to Ming!
Barry316 64

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 15:04

Barry316 wrote:It was easier when the bloody consoles said 16bit. I had no idea what it all meant but by crikey it didn't half look good on the box.

It was easier when nobody cared and we all just gamed with reckless abandon
stealth 47

Postby TOKEN » 30 Nov 2012, 15:07

Imaduck wrote:I'd argue that it's in a gen of its own frankly. It's not current, or what will be seen as "next", but somewhere in the middle. I believe the sole aim of the console is to bridge the gap and attempt to win over the PS3 and 360 fans before the "next gen" from Sony and MS hits.
leap frog gen?To be honest i got wii u last night and its here by be now still boxed and i cant be bothered to open it(why?).About 4-5 people bought wii u last night and a few bought farcry 3.
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Postby FishyGinger » 30 Nov 2012, 15:11

What gay days they were
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby StonecoldMC » 30 Nov 2012, 15:33

Ill be happy when the furore over the Wii U has died down and everyone gets back to moaning about the usual stuff . . .

Peter M
Sales
Motion Control
Specifications
etc

Oh . . . wait a minute . . .

:wink:
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 30 Nov 2012, 15:49

Firstly if this is next gen I'll stick with the current one thanks, it so clearly isn't from both the specs and the games I have played. It is a Wii with a turbo boost and a fancy, rather questionable, controller. i love Nintendo, hell I grew up on a sound diet of NES, SNES, Gameboy and those 'one game' little handhelds so it gives me no pleasure to predict this system will flop big time achieving only reasonable results in the long term due to the less gaming educated/casual gamers lapping up it's shiny prettiness. For me the system is ludicrously expensive with it's overpriced periphials, the games I have played are good but offer little (so far) over many old Wii games I enjoyed. It's discernable difference is the pad, personally I find it cumbersome, gimmicky and highly likely to become tedious in the longer term.

Just my views and i hope I'm wrong but Im just don't see any substantial justification for it been a raging success.

Currently own: PS4, PS3, PS2, Vita, Wii, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Megadrive
KK-Headcharge78 60

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby toaplan » 30 Nov 2012, 15:50

stealth wrote:
Barry316 wrote:It was easier when the bloody consoles said 16bit. I had no idea what it all meant but by crikey it didn't half look good on the box.

It was easier when nobody cared and we all just gamed with reckless abandon

I'd say the tech debates were just as lively back then... Was the PC Engine a "true" 16-bit console and thus next-gen, or essentially just a tuned-up 8-bit console? Was the Neo Geo a "24-bit" console? Why was the SNES more powerful than the Megadrive, even though the SNES had a slower CPU? "Blast processing" - WTF?

All of the many 16-bit systems ranging from the mid-'80s launched Amiga / Atari ST to the MegaCD in the early '90s were considered part of the same "16-bit" generation. The Sega Master System was released in 1985, but was always considered to belong to the previous 8-bit generation, since it was technically undoubtedly an 8-bit machine.

I think technically the Wii U could be said to belong to the same generation as the PS3 & X360, as it most likely is much closer in specs to those machines than it will be to the Orbis & Durango. The term next-gen has tended to imply a clear-cut and very significant increase in graphical power - taking it to a whole new level.
toaplan 72

Postby stealth » 30 Nov 2012, 16:06

Tended and what actually is are 2 seperate issues.

We have no idea what the wii u can actually do.

I can almost guarentee whatever the first game is that uses either

A) a wii u engine

B) A proper engine that works well with wii u

it will look better than things this gen, not that it matters
stealth 47

Postby richomack360 » 30 Nov 2012, 16:21

toaplan wrote:
I'd say the tech debates were just as lively back then... Was the PC Engine a "true" 16-bit console and thus next-gen, or essentially just a tuned-up 8-bit console? Was the Neo Geo a "24-bit" console? Why was the SNES more powerful than the Megadrive, even though the SNES had a slower CPU? "Blast processing" - WTF?

All of the many 16-bit systems ranging from the mid-'80s launched Amiga / Atari ST to the MegaCD in the early '90s were considered part of the same "16-bit" generation. The Sega Master System was released in 1985, but was always considered to belong to the previous 8-bit generation, since it was technically undoubtedly an 8-bit machine.

I think technically the Wii U could be said to belong to the same generation as the PS3 & X360, as it most likely is much closer in specs to those machines than it will be to the Orbis & Durango. The term next-gen has tended to imply a clear-cut and very significant increase in graphical power - taking it to a whole new level.

This!

richomack360 59
Global Moderator

Next