to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo: Third-party games look 'dramatically better' on Wi

Your comments on our articles.

US boss claims the likes of Black Ops 2 benefit from Nintendo's more "graphically intensive" system

One of Nintendo's most senior executives has suggested that third-party games, such as Call of Duty Black Ops 2, look "dramatically better" on Wii U than they do on Xbox 360 and PS3.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby pinkie 2 » 26 Nov 2012, 11:57

Pity about the framerates :roll:
pinkie 2 51

Postby spinoir » 26 Nov 2012, 12:01

I suggest the big boss man should go check out giantbombs wii u quick looks. There's pretty shocking frame rate issues with most of the ports.
Last edited by spinoir on 26 Nov 2012, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
spinoir 45

Postby ensabahnur » 26 Nov 2012, 12:03

Well according to Digital Foundry and Lens of Truth Black Ops 2 runs better than the PS3 version on the Wii-U but is still behind the 360 version. The other recent ports haven't exactly blown the 360 and PS3 out of the water either, ME3 and Batman AC being no better on Wii-U.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Re: Nintendo: Third-party games look 'dramatically better' o

Postby SuperCinos » 26 Nov 2012, 12:08

To be fair, that's more on the developer then Nintendo.
SuperCinos 53

Postby El Mag » 26 Nov 2012, 12:10

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Jon Ahmad » 26 Nov 2012, 12:14

Look Nintendo, I'm not interested in you waffling on about 'our version looks better than yours' because quite frankly, the Wii U launch games are disappointing to say the least. You'd think that a company with such a rich pedigree and a triple A quality catalogue of games would at least get it half right. If they had launched with a sizzling new Metroid, Star Fox or F-Zero to name a few, it would have instantly attracted my attention. I cannot understand their philosophy at times. Yes, Pikmin 3 looks lovely and even though it excites my kids, it still fails to ignite my passion for the Big N. We don't want 'slightly better' versions of Black Ops or Mass Effect etc. What we or I crave are spanking new versions of Pilot Wings, Excitebike, Wave Race, Blast Corps...the list goes on. Ever since the launch of the original Wii, the games have simply not floated my boat. It's all very well releasing triple A content months apart but it's beginning to douse my fire for a company that was once the 'Willy Wonka' of gaming. Sort it out Iwata-San. Cheers.
Creator of The Jellydoodz
Jon Ahmad 53

Postby RSebire » 26 Nov 2012, 12:22

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
During the interview, Fils-Aime said the reasons for buying a Wii U if a customer already has an iPad is that it can play exclusive Nintendo content.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I'm just trying to keep up with this. I haven’t even looked at one properly yet, to be honest.
Can you actually connect you iPad to this home console:?:

I remember firmware 1.01 had something similar on the Playstation. You could just connect your iPod, press triangle and play. Oh, if only they have brought common sense touch's like that back to the industry. I might actually get one.
On the Playstation, only a few app's. :cry:
On the iPad, millions. :P

I know my luck though, if I run off and buy a Wii U, by Christmas this year, there will be an update to remove it.
What media types does the Wii U play :idea: :?:

Reggie "Mr Nintendo” or perhaps the real living Mario. Is quite cool too.
:mrgreen:
PSN ID : RSebire
XBOX ID : RSebire
Steam ID : RSebire
Apple Game Center ID : RSebire
RSebire 39

Xbox Live: RSebire
PSN ID: RSebire
Steam: RSebire

Postby fatherofthenoo » 26 Nov 2012, 12:47

I want to see a comparison of Colonial Marines Wii U to the other versions. After all, Gearbox stated how it was the better looking version. Clearly lazy ports aren't going to play too well on this console.

Besides, based on the high review scores, it is the eshop games that we should be interested in, not these clunky ports.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby nuggit3000 » 26 Nov 2012, 12:53

Jon Ahmad wrote:Look Nintendo, I'm not interested in you waffling on about 'our version looks better than yours' because quite frankly, the Wii U launch games are disappointing to say the least. You'd think that a company with such a rich pedigree and a triple A quality catalogue of games would at least get it half right. If they had launched with a sizzling new Metroid, Star Fox or F-Zero to name a few, it would have instantly attracted my attention. I cannot understand their philosophy at times. Yes, Pikmin 3 looks lovely and even though it excites my kids, it still fails to ignite my passion for the Big N. We don't want 'slightly better' versions of Black Ops or Mass Effect etc. What we or I crave are spanking new versions of Pilot Wings, Excitebike, Wave Race, Blast Corps...the list goes on. Ever since the launch of the original Wii, the games have simply not floated my boat. It's all very well releasing triple A content months apart but it's beginning to douse my fire for a company that was once the 'Willy Wonka' of gaming. Sort it out Iwata-San. Cheers.

Agreed, however Blast Corps is a Rare property, so would be more likely on Xbox
Xbox live gamer tag: The Slythe
PC gaming tag: Slythe
PS3 tag: TheSlythe
nuggit3000 60

Xbox Live: TheSlythe
PSN ID: TheSlythe

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 26 Nov 2012, 12:56

Shock of the century, a brand new system runs third party games better than competition using tech thats nearly a decade old.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby kirankara » 26 Nov 2012, 12:57

Reggie is an utter twonk , if ever there was one.

He doesnt seem to worry about facts, and worse still doesnt seem to actually have the remotest clue about the products or the technology. every time he opens his mouth I cringe.

Wiiu is probably slightly better situated technologically than ps3/360, with a set up that will take time to get best out of(cpu is weaker, but gpu which is stronger and more modern, can be used to offload lot of cpu tasks). black ops was banged out in a year and primarily designed around an engine that doesnt suit the system and play to it's strengths. Add to this that the wiiu will have had less development time, and it's not hard to see why wiiu version has issues(said to be very good frame rate wise in mp though). Activision wanted his out from day 1 on wiiu and in line with other versions, as well as them being known for not investing to make sure parity achieved in multi platform titles, this all seems to add up. Id say wiiu will have some great looking games as devs get used to hardware, just dont expect leaps in terms of visuals.

Tbh though, i have a pc with gtx 590 and can max out most games at 60fps, and im not overawed by any game's visuals any more. They look great , dont get me wrong, Im just not blown away, as they are sharper and prettier than on console, and the frame rates are big bonus(when im not having issues with sli, cough cough sleeping dogs), but whereas in past when new generation came along I was totally in awe, im not anymore
kirankara 57

Postby dax trajero » 26 Nov 2012, 12:57

[Nintendo boardroom]
Reggie: The cpu sucks, the gpu sucks, what do i tell the press?
Exec #1: Tell them the hardware is "feature rich"
Exec #2: Tell them "the developers will need time to unlock the potential"
Exec #3: Tell them " it's graphically intensive" - that's suitably vague
Reggie: Ok, are we all agreed on "graphically intensive?"
dax trajero 14
New user

Postby cult » 26 Nov 2012, 13:01

To be fair by this time next year I expect multi platform games to look better on the U.
I also know those multi platform games will look better again on the X720 and PS4.

Do I spend £320 now and add controllers and hard drive or wait a year and spend £400 or more?
Hmmm, the choices are asymmetric.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby fustacluck » 26 Nov 2012, 13:07

spinoir wrote:I suggest the big boss man should go check out giantbombs wii u quick looks. There's pretty shocking frame rate issues with most of the ports.

Yeah, the Batman QL was hilarious, with the framerate dropping significantly every time a fight broke out.
fustacluck 36

Xbox Live: fustak luck
PSN ID: fustacluck

Postby Jon Ahmad » 26 Nov 2012, 13:17

No doubt, it'll still sell like hot cakes initially but I suspect it will plateau a lot earlier than its predecessor. If only for the extension of the existing user base, but I fear that if Nintendo don't get it right this time, they're heading down the path of annoying their loyal fans for good. I mean how long have we now waited for this new HD super duper Zelda? (remember *that* demo?) and if I'm brutally honest, I really can't be ars*d anymore. The magic is still there but it's beginning to wane. It reminds me of the good old Spectrum era when Ultimate Play the Game (now Rare) totally ruled the gaming world. Every title was a beautifully polished gem but eventually, they faded away with lacklustre titles and a lack of interest for the market. I hope I'm wrong but it's definitely not right when I'm more interested in the release of 720/PS4 than Ninty's new machine. After GameCube (which I loved) its never been the same for me. :(
Creator of The Jellydoodz
Jon Ahmad 53

Next