Wii U: The ultimate launch guide

Your comments on our articles.

CVG consolidates every last detail: Launch games, hardware specs, online features and more

... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii U: The ultimate launch guide

Postby justforkicks101 » 18 Nov 2012, 14:48

im a bit excited chaps
Im Playing tons of Planetside 2 with
Rock Planet Shotgun, on Miller, Join us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPlanetShotgun
justforkicks101 65

Xbox Live: jfk101
PSN ID: jfk101
Steam: jfk101
xFire: justforkicks101

Re: Wii U: The ultimate launch guide

Postby me4pd » 18 Nov 2012, 15:15

Reggie looks so suspicious in that photo at the top....
me4pd 48

Postby Balladeer » 18 Nov 2012, 15:21

You think that's suspicious?

justforkicks101 wrote:im a bit excited chaps

Me too, but not six pages' worth excited.
Balladeer 78

Postby alan666 » 18 Nov 2012, 15:31

Why are the prices all in US dollars though ?
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Balladeer » 18 Nov 2012, 15:35

Because it's only out in the U S of A-ee at the moment, and presumably the UK prices haven't been revealed (thus preventing an entire generation of British Nintendo fans from bursting blood vessels).
Balladeer 78

Postby Cogglesz » 18 Nov 2012, 15:38

Any specs of the hardware yet? I understand the ram but the cpu and graphical clock speeds are something i'd love to know.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby ricflair » 18 Nov 2012, 15:38

I thought the sensor bar isn't included in the Basic version in EU?
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby billysastard » 18 Nov 2012, 15:49

still p**sed off at the retail (and digital) pricing on launch games, especially on those games that are either just tarted up ports of older and already available classics / goty games or ea titles using last years game engines (fifa, maden), i mean why buy mass effect 3 with some included dlc but no promise of more for £45 when you can buy the mass effect trilogy on 360 / ps3 for £5 less?

there were a bunch of games i wanted at launch but the completely screwed up "not" friend codes system** and launch prices combined is making me think i could survive with nintendoland an mario then wait for the rest until post xmas sales.

** whilst not using friend codes but named accounts you still cant just add a friend but must type in their name then they have to type in yours, so you have to exchange details off console just like with friend codes, which is an absolute disaster.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby ricflair » 18 Nov 2012, 15:57

Apparently that's completely not the case billy... according to IGN anyway.

Adding Friends can work in two ways - through a request system or by both of you adding each others' names. Our live, retail environment proved both would work, but sending out requests seemed to have a strange delay, with some not seeing requests. Yet adding the other person manually worked instantly. A strange glitch that with any luck will be worked out in the days to come.

One more key piece of information - you can only register/add up to 100 Friends.

You can also view gamers you've played online with recently, and can send requests to them. Requests can be blocked as well, and you can flag your account so your friends can see when you're online and what you're playing.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby HelloLadies » 18 Nov 2012, 16:16

Balladeer wrote:You think that's suspicious?

justforkicks101 wrote:im a bit excited chaps

Me too, but not six pages' worth excited.

Thats the look a man gives you right before he snuffs out your life. He could stare a hole through a brick wall.
HelloLadies 52

Postby only_777 » 18 Nov 2012, 21:04

Am I the only one that really couldn't care less for the Wii U?

It's the first time new hardware is being released and I really am not interested and I've bought every console on launch day (apart from 3DS, but at least I was interested to see the hardware and try it out).

I just don't see anything so far in the Wii U that really strikes me has must have or at least something that might grow into a must have. Like the way PS3 was quite poor at launch but the future promise was pretty clear to everyone right away. Or the 360 didn't have a stella launch line up in my opinion, but all the new ideas that the machine brought with it were great to explore.
Earn Money from clicking a link, stupid but true: http://paid2refer.com/ref.php?refId=239717
only_777 62

Postby Balladeer » 18 Nov 2012, 21:18

You can probably see the same things I can. Touch screen controller, halfway-house power, Nintendo exclusives etc. I can't see why the machine has any less potential than the PS3/360 (apart from Nintendo's dubious online record), but those things don't rub you the right way there's no reason why you have to like it.

You're not alone, though. Check pretty much anything Nintendo-related that CVG posts on Facebook and you'll see. (Then again, after doing so you might be embarrassed to be lumped in the same boat. At least some of the trolls on here make an effort...)

One thing that people might have missed is that the WiiU seems to be attracting a fair few interesting downloadable titles, at this stage at least. Then again, "a fair few" for a Nintendo fanboy might not be "a fair few" for those with PSN or "Ksblah".
Balladeer 78

Postby billysastard » 18 Nov 2012, 22:47

ricflair wrote:Apparently that's completely not the case billy... according to IGN anyway.

Adding Friends can work in two ways - through a request system or by both of you adding each others' names. Our live, retail environment proved both would work, but sending out requests seemed to have a strange delay, with some not seeing requests. Yet adding the other person manually worked instantly. A strange glitch that with any luck will be worked out in the days to come.

One more key piece of information - you can only register/add up to 100 Friends.

You can also view gamers you've played online with recently, and can send requests to them. Requests can be blocked as well, and you can flag your account so your friends can see when you're online and what you're playing.

thanks for that, i guess the reviews were a bit rushed and if there was a delay / failure but it worked using a direct add then added to the somewhat strange statement in the nintendo direct they had to assume the worst with the rush to publish.

that said i'd like to see that option in parental controls so the youngers couldn't just add anyone although the fact that it seems that all messages are public may help to ensure any unsavory characters get quickly removed from the service.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Agent75 » 19 Nov 2012, 02:32

Those white gloves he's wearing is very odd, shows how odd Nintendo gets as the years go by. High gloss consoles are not so good, but the white one is better than the black one. No white gamepad = odd. Glad I kept my LAN adaptor, as the good old cable is much more realiable (it's 2012 and wireless connection is still p**s poor...). Can't say Nintendo Land is a premium game that took years and millions to make, so it should of been included with all packs (same as Wii Sports), even it it came in a crap cardboard sleeve. Thought Nintendo would of dropped game manuals, but game prices wouldn't of dropped anyway (less production costs and all that...). Can't see a lot of new games coming out for it, which is typical with all Nintendo consoles since the Nintendo 64. I think once the hardcore buy into it (the minority), the price will drop, but saying that, the typical (and planned) shortage will come along. I suppose the pressure is on Nintendo to knock out new games, but I just can't see it happening, still waiting for a new Wave Race and Stunt Race FX. The gamepad priced at £40 is just not on, they should be about £20 and I can't see it being as good as the Xbox 360 controller, more so the build quality. Looking forward to the Wii U, but I won't forget my Xbox 360 and PS3. Not sure if a sensor bar comes with the Basic Pack, hope it does as I've not got a Wii. Moaning over.
Agent75 49

Postby Agent75 » 19 Nov 2012, 02:41

only_777 wrote:Am I the only one that really couldn't care less for the Wii U?

It's the first time new hardware is being released and I really am not interested and I've bought every console on launch day (apart from 3DS, but at least I was interested to see the hardware and try it out).

I just don't see anything so far in the Wii U that really strikes me has must have or at least something that might grow into a must have. Like the way PS3 was quite poor at launch but the future promise was pretty clear to everyone right away. Or the 360 didn't have a stella launch line up in my opinion, but all the new ideas that the machine brought with it were great to explore.

Got a feeling that Microsoft and Sony will delay their next gen consoles for a little bit, as their current consoles can keep going. But with the Wii clocking up 96 million units, I can see the Wii U heading in the same direction, even if hardly any games come out for it, which was the case with the Wii. It's a mass headache for Microsoft and Sony. Even if Microsoft and Sony knocked out monster consoles with loads of games, I don't think it'd make a difference.
Agent75 49

Next