to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

NintendoLand review: A mixed bag but a clever showcase for G

Your comments on our articles.

All the fun of the (un)fair

NintendoLand is, in the truest sense, the Wii U's equivalent to Wii Sports. Like its predecessor, NintendoLand is a light and chirpy mini-game festival that exists primarily to teach players about the unique possibilities of their new console, yet manages to do so in a framework that provides lasting entertainment in its own right. However, it is there that the similarities end.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

NintendoLand review: A mixed bag but a clever showcase for G

Postby Jingee » 16 Nov 2012, 01:39

I've played the Animal Crossing, Luigi's mansion and the Zelda one, and agree that the Luigi one is brilliant. It can be surprisingly tough if your mates can work together.
Jingee 50

Re: NintendoLand review: A mixed bag but a clever showcase f

Postby stealth » 16 Nov 2012, 01:43

I read the review, and was prepared for a final score of 6. An 8? Shocker
stealth 47

Postby richomack360 » 16 Nov 2012, 09:00

Its amazing that Luigi's Ghost mansion creates more tension and frights than Resident Evil 6 - that tells you something !

Interesting little bundle, but it seems a bit "seen it before" ?
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Balladeer » 16 Nov 2012, 09:02

The scoring seems a bit optimistic for some of those games, given what you said. I'm thinking of Pikmin and F-Zero here: very few plus points presented, yet still average? Ah well: such is the way of videogames reviewing nowadays. Looks like my family and I will have fun here, anyway.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby darren_mccoy » 16 Nov 2012, 09:25

Is CVG American now? Why the hell are you talking about baseball??
darren_mccoy 59

Postby budge » 16 Nov 2012, 09:43

darren_mccoy wrote:Is CVG American now? Why the hell are you talking about baseball??

I wonder if there were any fist pumps whilst they reviewed this?
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby cult » 16 Nov 2012, 10:13

If this was packed in with every console I would say it was a fantastic demo disc that shows how to implement the new features of the new controller.

But its not, it is a full price retail game.

How many times are you really going to get the gang round tablet swapping before this mini game compendium gets boring?
Fantastic for those who have multiple waggles from their partying days of mini games on the Wii.

That doesn't sound like me, what about U?
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby Cogglesz » 16 Nov 2012, 10:19

If anyone from CVG or anyone thats had a shot of a wiiu could let me know about the resolutions? i'd be really thankful for that, the Nintendoland and NSMB's pictures appear to be about 720p (i could totally be wrong though its just a guess) are these two titles native 1080p? or does it stick at 720? At that kind of price i'd expect 1080p, thats something really holding me back from this console, call me graphical whore all you like its just when i spend £300+ on a piece of hardware thats 6 years newer i expect it to not pull any fake upscaling tricks on me like the ps3 and 360.

Its been something i've always been worried about since ME3's announcement of running in 720, thats a pretty demanding game on the pc compared to the previous games so i wasn't sure if that was down to bad port skills or lack of power.

The launch titles aint much for me to grab for at the moment though, (a demo disk priced at full retail with a milked nsmb's? thats not really their A game is it? Even their adverts on the telly don't have a clue about what to show and just show you some dude flicking the gamepad then text tells you to visit this page online to learn more :lol:) i'm much more a zelda fan than a mario fan however i do like the look of the zombie game but like many games i've noticed its already one that could be done on any other console, i'm wanting something graphically outstanding and 'u'nique to the console while showing off what that extra ram can do (like total war on pc, thats a perfect example of what can and can't be done because of processing power and ram), it needs a huge rpg with towns packed with tons of advanced npc and what not, i want to see something that can't be done on the 6 year old consoles, I know the gamepad is all the hype of the console but i've been playing my ds/3ds for like 6 years as well now, i'm more than used to having a secondary touch screen for maps, items etc and is the last thing i'd call 'u'nique, I guess you could say i'm an old fanboy who doesn't like seeing nintendo act lazy, it makes me question their abilities as a software maker, i've got tons of love for nintendo though, i'm sure it'l be a huge success none the less and people like me will eventually be cartered to but for now all we can do is wait.

Anyway if anyone does know about those resolutions, i'd be most greatful, cheers :)
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby stealth » 16 Nov 2012, 13:24

^ some of the games are in 720 but others are in the real 1080 for the first time.

If you look at ninja gaiden. Not only does it look better than the 360 version the lighting is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUC8Qe4FsL4
stealth 47

Postby Robcarroll93 » 16 Nov 2012, 13:39

I think it looks like good fun, can't wait for the Wii U to come out!
Robcarroll93 10

Postby ensabahnur » 16 Nov 2012, 17:01

I saw the Ninja Castle advert on the TV last night and wondered if this is the sort of thing Smartglass will be able to replicate?
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby rip_it_up » 16 Nov 2012, 18:10

stealth wrote:^ some of the games are in 720 but others are in the real 1080 for the first time.

If you look at ninja gaiden. Not only does it look better than the 360 version the lighting is better

Ign said that it looks worse then xbox360 and ps3 and theres no aa going on either.
rip_it_up 49

Postby stealth » 16 Nov 2012, 19:04

rip_it_up wrote:
stealth wrote:^ some of the games are in 720 but others are in the real 1080 for the first time.

Ign said that it looks worse then xbox360 and ps3 and theres no aa going on either.

This is the answer to your question. Its IGN, they f'd up
stealth 47

Postby PBUH » 18 Nov 2012, 15:07

CVG, can you edit this review to include how many levels/ maps/ modes are in each mini game? I appreciate the individual review of each mini game, but it would be really helpful to know how much content is included in the package.
PBUH 29

Postby slamatron » 30 Nov 2012, 16:25

i played it for a few hours and for me it got old fast, i liked mario chase, luigis mansion was probably my fav game but overall i was disappointed, i dont like the asynchronous gameplay, not my bag.
slamatron 50

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Next