to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

New Super Mario Bros U review: New ideas layered on a famili

Your comments on our articles.

Something borrowed, something U...

What better way to christen your brand spanking-new dual-screen Nintendo console than with a classic slice of dual-faced Nintendo magic? New Super Mario Bros U's riotous multiplayer sees Ninty at their duplicitous, treacherous, hilarious best.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 19:53

"the New Super Mario Bros template has been exhausted."

Eh I dont know about all that but they did say 1 2d mario per system. So dont expect another for a good long ass time
stealth 47

Postby ricflair » 15 Nov 2012, 19:55

Solid 8s is what I was ultimately expecting for this, unless they had made a proper SMW type epic. Bit disappointed to hear it's a bit easy, but then a weekend is all you need to complete a lot of games these days.

So, have you got your consoles then CVG? I'm still curious about how Gamesmaster managed to review this before the big American sites even had their consoles!
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Re: New Super Mario Bros U review: New ideas layered on a fa

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 19:57

ricflair wrote:Solid 8s is what I was ultimately expecting for this, unless they had made a proper SMW type epic. Bit disappointed to hear it's a bit easy, but then a weekend is all you need to complete a lot of games these days.

So, have you got your consoles then CVG? I'm still curious about how Gamesmaster managed to review this before the big American sites even had their consoles!

Other sites are saying its harder so I would take it with a grain of salt until you try it yourself. This is as close to a smw epic as we are getting. So far every review is over an 8.

Thats pretty solid
stealth 47

Postby charliecheswick » 15 Nov 2012, 20:01

SOLD! Will be picking this up for Christmas as i like the gist of the reviews as a whole ( 9.1 on ign ). Waiting for ZombieU reviews to roll in now.
charliecheswick 48

PSN ID: pulpeto_san
Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby ricflair » 15 Nov 2012, 20:12

Destructoid review was positive, not sure I got an 9.1 from IGN's text - Destructoid seemed to think it looks great; IGN thought it looked average. Although IGN's Nintendo Land has made me rethink (wasn't going to get it, but 9/12 games can beplayed and enjoyed in single player too).

Every review is over an 8? For Nintendo on top form I expect the vast majority of reviews to be well over a 9. Pointless number at the end of the article withstanding. But let's be honest, no matter how great this may be, this isn't SMW.
Woo
ricflair 77

Postby Rhodes666 » 15 Nov 2012, 20:16

Just looks pretty much the same as all the other New Super Mario Bros games really. I have soft spot for Nintendo although admit to not owning any of there home consoles since the N64, I do have a 3DS (and long for a new Advance wars!) - But the Wii U, i just dont seem to be able to generate any enthusiasm for it, I have enjoyed the current generation and am looking forward to the next gen although in no hurry for it. I dont see where the Wii U will fit into the market, it seems a little gimicky and nothing ive seen so far has persuaded me that i need one. That said, the bloody Wii sold bucket loads....
Rhodes666 17

Postby Balladeer » 15 Nov 2012, 20:21

No surprises there then - either from the game's contents or the review. I'm positive that Nintendo can do fun new things with 2D platformers, and it always saddens me when they don't. Ho hum. At least they say they're on one per console for now.

I enjoyed NSMB2; I'm sure I'll enjoy this, so long as I go into it prepared for a Mario-by-the-numbers. Which is still pretty good.
Balladeer 78

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 20:24

ricflair wrote:Destructoid review was positive, not sure I got an 9.1 from IGN's text - Destructoid seemed to think it looks great; IGN thought it looked average. Although IGN's Nintendo Land has made me rethink (wasn't going to get it, but 9/12 games can beplayed and enjoyed in single player too).

Every review is over an 8? For Nintendo on top form I expect the vast majority of reviews to be well over a 9. Pointless number at the end of the article withstanding. But let's be honest, no matter how great this may be, this isn't SMW.

This is just as good as smw minus the cape to me.

Why does it matter what the number is as long as they enjoyed it? And I think every reviewer as enjoyed it so far............

Whats shocking to me is the high nintendo land praise
stealth 47

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 20:26

Balladeer wrote:No surprises there then - either from the game's contents or the review. I'm positive that Nintendo can do fun new things with 2D platformers, and it always saddens me when they don't. Ho hum. At least they say they're on one per console for now.

I enjoyed NSMB2; I'm sure I'll enjoy this, so long as I go into it prepared for a Mario-by-the-numbers. Which is still pretty good.

Challenge mode? boost mode? those are new arent they? for nintendo. People are saying challenge mode is one of the coolest things theyve ever done.

In my view NSMB2 will be tripe ( isnt that a uk fish?) compared to this.

This isnt mario by the numbers like the portable ones ( mario WII was good) :wink:
stealth 47

Postby dwhlufc » 15 Nov 2012, 20:27

@stealth, same here. Nintendoland seems like it could be the one to own from reviews so far.
dwhlufc 76

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 20:29

dwhlufc wrote:@stealth, same here. Nintendoland seems like it could be the one to own from reviews so far.

I Got a deluxe so it comes with it. If I got the basic before these reviews. I Probably would of skipped nintendoland. Now I might have actually gotten it seperate ( we will never no)

The other shocking news is gamestop has said the software attach rate for wii u is 3x that what the wii was at launch.
stealth 47

Postby Barry316 » 15 Nov 2012, 20:33

Tripe is offal from the stomachs of different animals that's edible stealth. Southern people have it on sandwiches here.

Pork dripping 4 life yo.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 20:35

Barry316 wrote:Tripe is offal from the stomachs of different animals that's edible stealth. Southern people have it on sandwiches here.

Pork dripping 4 life yo.

Ok I am stupid. I Got confused, yeah its usually sheep stomach right? I was thinking of kipper
stealth 47

Postby ricflair » 15 Nov 2012, 20:42

stealth wrote:
ricflair wrote:Destructoid review was positive, not sure I got an 9.1 from IGN's text - Destructoid seemed to think it looks great; IGN thought it looked average. Although IGN's Nintendo Land has made me rethink (wasn't going to get it, but 9/12 games can beplayed and enjoyed in single player too).

This is just as good as smw minus the cape to me.

Why does it matter what the number is as long as they enjoyed it? And I think every reviewer as enjoyed it so far............

Whats shocking to me is the high nintendo land praise

You brought up the numbers, Carol. So let's forget the numbers then... do the words/tone in the NSMBU reviews read like the reviews for SMW?

None of us have played it yet, so we don't know. I'm just going off the words in the reviews. SMW is regarded as a classic - this might be a lot of fun, but I don't see it being deserving of that type of lofty praise. I'm not saying it has to be as good, games that aren't as good are still lots of fun, but I personally just don't see it.
Woo
ricflair 77

Postby Agent75 » 15 Nov 2012, 20:47

It was on the cards that it was going to look, sound and play top dollar. And what with this being Nintendo's new milking franchise, it was always going to be more of the same. I bet mags and websites went over to Nintendo UK, played it for a few hours and thought we'll just give it an 8 or 9 out of 10, and even though we've not had much time on it, we sort of know anyway from playing the DS, 3DS and Wii versions. I mean, how can you really trust reviews these days? How different is the Wii U version to other versions? Just a few bits and bobs here and there...
Agent75 49

Next