to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 review: In the future, there is on

Your comments on our articles.

"The numbers, Mason! What do they mean?"

Well, you can't say that Call of Duty never takes you anywhere. This, the ninth mainline entry in Activision's ludicrously-popular military shooter series, serves up yet another breathless foxtrot around the world's circumference.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby killingabbcwae » 13 Nov 2012, 09:16

a call of duty game that gets 7.8? bloody hell it must be christmas lol,i thought all magazines gave them 9 or 10 out of 10, lol good for you cvg :)
killingabbcwae 42

Postby Smelly Cheese » 13 Nov 2012, 09:18

So is it better than that clusterf*ck that was Modern Warfare 3? Your review reads like it is, but your score says it is not??????
Smelly Cheese 49

Postby flyfletch » 13 Nov 2012, 09:19

7.8....Never saw that coming CVG?? lol I applaud you on not falling for the hype! Im still buying it though, i do like a bit of Blops :)

Another thing, so glad they have tried to deal with campers, really cant understand how anyone finds fun in doing that....just goes a long way towards ruining it for everyone.
Go ahead and add me on PS3, 360 & Wii U, please note! Weirdo's will be blocked immediately :)
flyfletch 68

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch
Wii Code: Wii U code Fletch76
Steam: Flyfletch1976

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 review: In the future, there i

Postby adison » 13 Nov 2012, 09:29

Remember everybody this is a post #Doritosgate review.

Games journalists are trying to be more honest, which is great.

So black ops 2 may well be better than MW3 but the scores tell a different story, I think its about time CVG and all other games review magazines got rid of the stupid score systems and trusted the reader to make his own conclusion from reading the review.
there's a time and place for everything. and this is neither the time nor the place

psn id :- Johnny_Damage_
adison 43

Postby ChotaDon » 13 Nov 2012, 09:35

LOL is CVG trying to be the new Edge? they've been giving out a lot of low scores lately. Still haven't received my copy yet :(
ChotaDon 23

Postby Cogglesz » 13 Nov 2012, 09:36

Nice honest review, and thanks for the details about the zombie mode, i've already got the game installed but i've yet to play it, Most reviewers are saying its one of the best COD experiences to date giving it almost flawless ratings but you guys point out the flaws it has and give it an honest score based on that, i missed out on a couple COD's when MW came along so i still enjoy the fast pace shooting & hollywood like scenes, i'm sure it'l be a pretty decent game at the end of the day.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 58

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby bamozzy » 13 Nov 2012, 09:37

compared to MW3 this is so much better!. I am really surprised by this score!

I know that this may be the latest in a long line of CoD titles but I personally think this is the best so far.

The MP has removed all the death streaks and refined the perk/attachments. It has tried to eliminate camping and those that try will not reap the rewards they used to get. The focus has been moved to Objective based play. This is definitely the best and most refined MP in a call of Duty game.

Zombies has also been expanded on and is as good as Black Ops (if not better) and they have tried a new format for the Campaign.

Whilst it does feel like a CoD game, it seems that Treyarch have listened to their community and addressed many of the issues we had with previous games. Based on your score, you are basically saying that MW3 is a much better game than this but the reality couldn't be further from this!

If all CoD games were available to play (without all the hackers etc) then given the choice, I would much rather play Black Ops 2 than any of them - not just because it is the latest BUT because of the way they have approached and fixed many of the issues from before!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 13 Nov 2012, 09:45

I agree CVG if you liked CoD (single player at least) you should check out Spec Ops. Beats CoD with bloodied frenzied hands untill it's retinas detatch.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby TheBusterMan » 13 Nov 2012, 09:49

Refreshing review.Now Gamer's too.Just waiting for Eurogamer's verdict,and maybe Game central's.Glad I'm not the only one who hated MW3!
TheBusterMan 46

Postby flyfletch » 13 Nov 2012, 09:49

bamozzy wrote:compared to MW3 this is so much better!. I am really surprised by this score!

I know that this may be the latest in a long line of CoD titles but I personally think this is the best so far.

The MP has removed all the death streaks and refined the perk/attachments. It has tried to eliminate camping and those that try will not reap the rewards they used to get. The focus has been moved to Objective based play. This is definitely the best and most refined MP in a call of Duty game.

Zombies has also been expanded on and is as good as Black Ops (if not better) and they have tried a new format for the Campaign.

Whilst it does feel like a CoD game, it seems that Treyarch have listened to their community and addressed many of the issues we had with previous games. Based on your score, you are basically saying that MW3 is a much better game than this but the reality couldn't be further from this!

If all CoD games were available to play (without all the hackers etc) then given the choice, I would much rather play Black Ops 2 than any of them - not just because it is the latest BUT because of the way they have approached and fixed many of the issues from before!

I think the problem is, (and CVG wont like me saying this), but without doubt they overrated MW3, so now that the reviewer's are giving out (what they believe) are more honest scores its hard to back up the previous score, especially when this is clearly head and shoulders above MW3.
Go ahead and add me on PS3, 360 & Wii U, please note! Weirdo's will be blocked immediately :)
flyfletch 68

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch
Wii Code: Wii U code Fletch76
Steam: Flyfletch1976

Postby illage2 » 13 Nov 2012, 09:52

Hasn't that Afghan level been done in a certain violent film before ..... (Hint Stallone was the main character in this film).

With that aside it's nice to finally see a fair and honest review. While the game may not be crap it certainly won't deserve a 9. a 7.8 a very fair score.
ImageImage
illage2 52

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby illage2 » 13 Nov 2012, 09:57

Some of the branching paths are obvious; at certain points the game will grab you by the collar and ask you if you want to shoot someone in the head or the kneecap.

I assume this will be done with an arrow?
ImageImage
illage2 52

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Nov 2012, 10:09

Its just shy of an 8 which means its an enjoyable Game. Think CVG gave Halo 4 an 8 and considering id give that title a 10, I would say if your a fan of COD then your probably going to love the Game.

Dont always look at the number at the end of a review to justify it or not, if COD is your cup of tea, it probably still is.
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 13 Nov 2012, 10:10

Can i just bring up the fact that review scores measured against previous scores is a really silly point to make.

Because Modern warfare 3 got 9/10 and this got 7.8/10 doesnt mean that this is worse, its reviewed as its own package score wise probably by a different reviewer than the last game and a year later etc.

Heres an example to clarify what im saying.

When perfect dark on the 360 was released it got some quite high scores 7,8 even the odd 9 however a year later and the average review score for it was down to like 6 now it would struggle to get a 4, as time moves on scores usually go down because more faults are found and better stuff comes along or newer stuff etc.

Considering this is the 3,000th game in the series means it cant really be fresh anymore, any sensible reviewer is going to know this, strip away the explosions and voice overs and soundtrack and all its going to be is a fps, its all it can be and that genre is tired......Very tired.

Sure the MP has had some tweaks to make campers and cheaters struggle but thats just a natural thing for a developer to do, the general opinion is that modern warfare 3 mp was so dire that anything else would have been better.

At the end of the day people who sit on this game night after night after night are going to love it, they wont care what the review score is because the community and content is what they want and with 40 million people playing cod every month online it pays for itself value wise.

Personally i hate cod MP, never liked it, never will, i do like the zombie thing however 1 map per map pack is a real joke and the constant re-releasing of older maps is cheap and tacky but i will play the game at some point for the single player campaign just for an evening or two's blasting action, thats why i never get these games straight away but i do always get them.

I literally just got black ops yesterday on the 360 for 2.40, in mint condition which for the 8 hours im going to play it for makes me pretty chuffed, plus its got that awesome little zombie game built in to the computer on the title screen.

Considering COD gets the kids off of other games mp so i have less cheating and glitching to put up with is a real plus to me, maybe thats why HALO 4 is so much fun online right now so for that im always thankful. Oh and STONECOLD its not a 10/10 game buddy, come on.........It's 11 ha ha.

Have fun with it everyone, im obviously not going to get it yet, i want the community to hammer the hell out of it for a while and wait for the overall average scores 6 months or so down the line but again for those that love this, have a blast peeps.
Megatrons_Fury 49

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Nov 2012, 10:12

illage2 wrote:Hasn't that Afghan level been done in a certain violent film before ..... (Hint Stallone was the main character in this film).

With that aside it's nice to finally see a fair and honest review. While the game may not be crap it certainly won't deserve a 9. a 7.8 a very fair score.

Muppet, Rocky 4 took place in Russia.

And stop with the bloody knee things.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Next