to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Club or Country?

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Club or Country?

Postby StonecoldMC » 17 Oct 2012, 09:42

So, we were in the pub last night and we were watching Scotland getting pumped, again! And a few of us started saying how bored and disinterested we were in the Scottish national team, the fact that 3 of us are Rangers fans who are pretty much at War with the SFA probably doesnt help and when you have a roaster of a manager like Levein in charge, it only adds to the animosity.

The question is, if you could only have one thing that could happen during your lifetime, what would it be? Your Club to win the Champions League or your Country to win the World Cup?

Obviously for a few of the big English teams this is a distinct possibility that they will win the CL but for the majority of clubs its just a dream to win the Champion League. And maybe even harder for any of the Home Nations to win the World Cup.

So, what is it?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Re: Club or Country?

Postby CrispyLog » 17 Oct 2012, 11:10

Don't know, mainly because I'd love to say Wigan, but when England plays and the whole country is watching them and you go down town and every pub is playing the game and every pub is rammed, it's something special.

If you're disillusioned with Scotland maybe you should start to support your brothers in England? Scotland did get dicked lastnight, which I was disappointed at because there were 3 Wigan players for them.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 75

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby FishyGinger » 17 Oct 2012, 11:18

Club for me. As someone who lives in england, watching them play is just awful. I really can't think why they suddenly become really bad players when they put on england shirts unless they generally are just bad.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby dwhlufc » 17 Oct 2012, 11:30

World Cup for me.

I love Leeds passionately but I can't see their being a mote important win than the World Cup personally.
dwhlufc 76

Postby StonecoldMC » 17 Oct 2012, 11:56

Its a tough one and 5 years ago I would have said Country everyday of the week but now? Everyone I know seems disillusioned by the Scotland set up and we will be lucky to fill out half of Hampden for our next home game, the apathy is kicking in! I can also imagine that the feel good factor that a WC victory would bring to a whole country would be amazing, but for a team like say Rangers, Spurs, Leeds, Crystal Palace (ho ho ho), just for Crispy-Wigan, Celtic, St Mirren, A Villa, West Ham etc to win the CL, for there fans? You would need to scrape us off the ceiling I would imagine.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby CrispyLog » 17 Oct 2012, 12:28

I notice you ignored Wigan from that list, I wonder why. I know there will never ever be a chance for us to win the CL, even in hundreds of years time. We'll never even get to compete in it. Our highlight was being champions of the Third Division!

But there is a chance of England winning the WC and if they did that'd just be the biggest thing of the generation. I mean the party and drinking at that would be out of this world! And as frustrating as it is to watch England, it's not all about the football, it is just about uniting everyone together like a big holiday.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 75

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby Reegeee » 17 Oct 2012, 14:03

I'll get stick for this but I'd be perfectly happy if they abolished International football. Let's be serious lads, it's f**king shite. Whenever the break for World Cup qualifiers comes up it isn't exciting, you're just waiting for it to be over so the proper stuff is played again.

I love it when England or Britian competes in sports so don't be thinking I'm a bleeding hippy or owt. Rugby, athletics, Cricket - all that. That's all quality. But football fans are generally nobheads. Watching England games in the pub is always s**t and ends up with people arguing cos people argue about how this bloke from my club could do better when it shouldn't be about that at all.

And the real clincher for me is - The competition is boring as f**k! It's all so slow paced and defensive. It really puts you off watching. Look at the San Marino game the other day. They're never gonna get a result so why not just have a go? When you see a Mansfield draw a Man City in the FA Cup they are the plucky minnows and they give it everything and try their best to see if they can nick it. At International level though teams like San Marino and Andorra just stick every single person in their own penalty box in the forlorn hope they might get a nil nil. It's pathetic and just sums International football up for me.

There you go. Have a bit of that.
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby FishyGinger » 17 Oct 2012, 14:29

Reegeee wrote:

Sums it up for me, except with more of those wordy things. Players just seem to want it more for club. You'd think, looking at england play, they'd never met each other before and aren't entirely sure who's on their team.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Barry316 » 17 Oct 2012, 14:33

I'd like to see England win the World Cup. But that's easy to say seeing as i've been fortunate enough to see 2 Champions League wins in my time.

But on the whole international football is a bit s**t. I can't remember one classic final that i've actually seen, especially something that compares to.....and this will hurt.....the brilliant AC Milan vs Liverpool final.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby EighteenSky » 17 Oct 2012, 17:47

I'd have to say World Cup, our national team has of late been on the downward spiral despite some great individual talent. We haven't been at a World Cup since 2002 where we finished 3rd and it already looks like we won't make it to Brazil so it's got to be first priority.

Besides all you need to win the CL is a rich owner and a hell of a lot of luck, see last years winners for a prime example.
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U), Pokémon X (3DS), Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Next to play: My Girlfriend is the President (PC), Battalion Wars 2 (Wii), Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
EighteenSky 70

Wii Code: Wii U - EighteenSky

Postby TheLastDodo » 17 Oct 2012, 20:00

Reegeee wrote:I'll get stick for this but I'd be perfectly happy if they abolished International football. Let's be serious lads, it's f**king shite. Whenever the break for World Cup qualifiers comes up it isn't exciting, you're just waiting for it to be over so the proper stuff is played again.

And the real clincher for me is - The competition is boring as f**k! It's all so slow paced and defensive. It really puts you off watching. Look at the San Marino game the other day. They're never gonna get a result so why not just have a go? When you see a Mansfield draw a Man City in the FA Cup they are the plucky minnows and they give it everything and try their best to see if they can nick it. At International level though teams like San Marino and Andorra just stick every single person in their own penalty box in the forlorn hope they might get a nil nil. It's pathetic and just sums International football up for me.

Well we're both gonna get stick then because AMEN.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby flash501 » 17 Oct 2012, 20:59

Reegeee wrote:I'll get stick for this but I'd be perfectly happy if they abolished International football. Let's be serious lads, it's f**king shite. Whenever the break for World Cup qualifiers comes up it isn't exciting, you're just waiting for it to be over so the proper stuff is played again.

I love it when England or Britian competes in sports so don't be thinking I'm a bleeding hippy or owt. Rugby, athletics, Cricket - all that. That's all quality. But football fans are generally nobheads. Watching England games in the pub is always s**t and ends up with people arguing cos people argue about how this bloke from my club could do better when it shouldn't be about that at all.

All good points but, for me, it's hard to beat that feeling of excitement you get in the weeks leading up to a European Championships or World Cup, and Ireland usually aren't even involved! The excitement is increased tenfold when they are! I know the Tournaments are shite more often than not nowadays but I still love being able to switch on the telly and have a few matches to watch every day for the best part of a month. The group stages are always the best part of the big Tournaments though imo.

Completely agree about the qualifiers, btw. They're literally like watching paint dry 99% of the time. And don't get me started on friendlies!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby treesmurf 11 » 17 Oct 2012, 23:02

Club for me, probably most likely down to club games being more frequent and I feel a lot closer to the team, I've never been to a live England game and whilst I would like to I don't think it'll ever be the same as club football as I can't imagine the atmosphere is anywhere near the same.

That being said I do love when a tournament comes around and the whole country gets behind the team, the hopefulness and the feeling that we could actually do it is great, until we play Germany or reach penalties that is.
My Twitterings
3DS Friend code: 3866-8000-9437
treesmurf 11 69

PSN ID: treesmurf11
Wii Code: 3916 3672 8458 8486
Steam: treesmurf11

Postby ginsin » 18 Oct 2012, 11:19

If you would have asked me in the 90s, I would have probably said England winning the WC. But over the past decade or so it's club all the way. Most of the English team p**s me off, and I seem to just watch them out of what feels like duty nowadays.

Of course it helps that I support Arsenal, so I do have a chance of seeing them win the CL within my remaining lifetime... I hope. Chelsea winning the thing has put more of an emphasis of wanting Arsenal to win it now.
Victory is just a prelude to the next battle.
ginsin 67

Xbox Live: Nocuous Penguin
Steam: ginsinuk

Postby Carbon64 » 18 Oct 2012, 12:23

TheLastDodo wrote:

Well we're both gonna get stick then because AMEN.

Agreed.

The only time internationals really get exciting is when it gets to the semi's and the final. Take the euro's , it was boring as anything up until Italy played Germany ! That was a great match to watch and I thought the final was an exhibition on how to just completely overpower a team by holding onto the ball. Some of the play in the final was unreal.

But other than those 2 matches lets be honest there wasn't much else that was really exciting. Hell even Germany holland was a bit of a damp squib.
Carbon64 56

Xbox Live: XB JACK
PSN ID: Carbon64

Next