to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Daily Digest: 5 other dream console launches

Your comments on our articles.

Japan loves the Nintendo 3DS XL! In the two days since the bigger, better handheld was launched Nintendo has sold close to 200,000 units. No doubt debuting alongside New Super Mario Bros. 2 helped.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Daily Digest: 5 other dream console launches

Postby toaplan » 31 Jul 2012, 18:17

The PS3 is in the record books for at least the biggest European launch of all-time - 600K units sold in 2 days.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/4a4dc0ee ... z22DkoU1Po
toaplan 73

Re: Daily Digest: 5 other dream console launches

Postby photoboy » 31 Jul 2012, 19:13

No Super Famicom launch? People in Japan were mugged taking theirs home!

It's still depressing to read about people not buying the Dreamcast based on Sony's PS2 promises.
photoboy 48

Postby Papzotic » 01 Aug 2012, 00:03

5 pages!
Papzotic 29

Postby MrPirtniw » 01 Aug 2012, 02:44

Apart from having 2 pretty awful Sonic games (which should've been amazing), I consider the Dreamcast to be possibly the greatest, and loudest console I've ever owned. Great to relive the classics through downloadable titles (though Crazy taxi just isn't the same without The Offspring and Bad Religion!)- just hurry up with Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue and Powerstone please!

(Waves lighter above head) Viva le Dreamcast!
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby billysastard » 01 Aug 2012, 03:53

The Wii's eventual success was understandably uncertain prior to launch.

i cant believe you even dared to type that sentence, after those queues at e3 there was no doubt that getting a wii was going to be next to impossible in its launch window and the fact that even 2 years after launch it was still sold out for the holiday season proved that out, only an idiot like pachter would even imagine that it wasnt going to sell.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby ensabahnur » 01 Aug 2012, 09:45

Wait, wasn't the Xbox discounted by £100 a few months after release to encourage sales? They even refunded anyone who had paid the original price for theirs, I remember my big brother had bought one a few weeks before this happened and he was given a £100 worth of games or accessories.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby El Mag » 01 Aug 2012, 10:23

ensabahnur wrote:Wait, wasn't the Xbox discounted by £100 a few months after release to encourage sales? They even refunded anyone who had paid the original price for theirs, I remember my big brother had bought one a few weeks before this happened and he was given a £100 worth of games or accessories.

Yep. I got Halo, Dead or Alive 3 and a control pad through the post after getting a form from HMV to send off.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Ali_ » 01 Aug 2012, 11:22

PS2? It had an amazingly lousy launch line up of games IMO. SSX and Fantavision were the only decent games I could find. Dreamcast and N64 stick in my mind for the best quality launch, regardless of sales.
Ali_ 56

Postby Asinine » 02 Aug 2012, 10:55

Ali_ wrote:PS2? It had an amazingly lousy launch line up of games IMO. SSX and Fantavision were the only decent games I could find. Dreamcast and N64 stick in my mind for the best quality launch, regardless of sales.

Love it as much as I do/did, I got the PS2 shortly after launch too, the release titles were dire, I remember even playing some PS1 games on it like IIS Pro Evo...
...the PS3 was almost exactly the same for me, PS2 titles were the mainstay for a while there.

Despite some crackingly good hardware, Sony haven't learnt to join up with the release titles yet.
Asinine 49