to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Frustrating site problems that need fixing!

Website announcements, tips for users, welcome pages and feedback

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Frustrating site problems that need fixing!

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 29 Aug 2012, 12:28

This site is becoming an increasingly frustrating experience, 12 months or so ago it was great, everything worked and was nice and clean. Here's the issues that seriously ruin this site at the moment.

1) passwords!! It's so god damn annoying being asked to enter my password every few pages on both my PC and my phone, more so on my phone as its eating away at my limited data allowance. This has only been a problem since last week when you did something to the password encryption.

2) Mobile site is garbage. I can't easily switch between mobile and none mobile version of this site! I can switch to classic but then not back to mobile until about an hour later for when some stupid reason it changes it back to mobile.

Now I'd be more than happy to use your mobile version if I could actually read and write comments. To me the comments are the best thing about the articles, so having to go into article comments to read them and find the story separately is frustrating.
For that reason I have stopped reading the vast majority of articles all together.

3) This is the worst offender for me, numerous pages for one news piece! I've lost count of how many times I've gone to another website to read news pieces because I refuse to click through pages and pages of mini paragraphs. There's just no need for it whatsoever, it makes the experience poor.

Just a simple button for us to click saying 'view whole article on one page' or something like that would greatly improve the site if you seriously do intend on milking articles into so many pages? Better yet using 1 page for all articles but just an option would be great.

4) Adverts, now this isn't one for me as I use an ad blocker so haven't seen a ad on this site for years apart from on my phone, but I know this infuriates a lot of users when you have automatic videos playing when loading pages and pop ups.
I think everyone understands the need for adverts but can we stop with the intrusive ones?

On a final note, sorry if this sounds like I'm throwing my toys out the pram. It's just that I really enjoy coming to this site because of the fellow posters here, not so much for your articles at the moment or up to date news but because of the community.
Now I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's noticed? But this site has been on its arse at late with hardly anyone posting here anymore.

On a more positive note, Rob has been great lately with interacting with members, it's really good to see and he defo seems to care about what people think and takes criticism on bored most of the time.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Re: Frustrating site problems that need fixing!

Postby TheLastDodo » 29 Aug 2012, 15:55

I wouldn't say you sound unreasonable at all Grolsch.

And if you're unreasonable then so am I because when CVG had one of their "improve the website" surveys a couple of months ago I said exactly the same things (with the exception of passwords which is a new irk).

- Cut out multiple articles based on one report/interview/whatever, just update the first one.
- Same as Grolsch, the mobile site needs work, I'd like to at least be able to read comments.
- Passwords *sigh*. I had my laptop at side of me on CVG signed in, didn't touch it for 5 mins, refresh, I'm logged out? :shock:
- Adverts, thanks to recently accidentally discovering Ad Blocker this ain't an issue anymore but those Transformers adverts and that sodding post E3 MOH video that automatically played whenever you clicked on homepage are frankly a nuisance.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby dicky1993 » 29 Aug 2012, 22:17

they don't read here until someone comments saying they don't read here
Currently Playing Xbox360: Beyond Good & Evil HD & Casual Gears Of War 3 fun

will be up for gears co-op give me a shout!
dicky1993 48

Xbox Live: dizzzzeehaskell

Postby Balladeer » 29 Aug 2012, 22:50

They don't read here. My work here is done.

And the passwords are becoming an utter nuisance. Sort please.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby dicky1993 » 11 Sep 2012, 17:08

oi cvg you wanks

dicky1993 48

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 17 Sep 2012, 18:28

They seem to have fixed the password issue but now they destroyed the site for me to use on my mobile thanks to the god damn stupid LBP advert!!!! It pops up in your face and you have to click the X in the corner to get rid of it but it reloads the page which is using even more of my limited bandwidth :|
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Postby StonecoldMC » 18 Sep 2012, 12:41

Impressions + Multiple articles = x Impressions = Money / CVG

A simple business equation that means the ads will continue.

Couldnt agree more with the Mobile platform though. the sooner CVG sort that out and allow me to read and post comments on it the better. Although, if I am on my phone the Mobile platforms videos perform better than if i'm on the main site. Weird?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby flash501 » 18 Sep 2012, 13:36

The passwod issue hasn't been resolved for me. I'm using Chrome and it still logs me out constanty.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 18 Sep 2012, 15:20

I'm not against ads stoney, it's the intrusive ones that are a p**s take. Luckily for me I don't see adverts on my laptop thanks to ad block software.

Anyone notice that the reviews are broke on the mobile site as well? They just have a star rating system and the Borderlands 2 was a 4.5 star, although the scores don't matter to the review it's still nice to see what the rating of the game is instead of waiting for someone to say in the comments.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Postby dicky1993 » 18 Sep 2012, 23:38

oi cunty cvg do you acknowledge us

dicky1993 48

Postby Rob Crossley » 27 Sep 2012, 16:22

Christ, this is going to be a lot of work.

Bear with me. I'll do everything I can.
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby Rob Crossley » 27 Sep 2012, 16:23

Let's start with passwords.

Does the problem still exist?
Associate Editor, CVG
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby flash501 » 27 Sep 2012, 16:31

It appears to be a lot better now for me. It still logs me out from time to time but not nearly as much as it did a while back.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Rob Crossley » 27 Sep 2012, 16:54

How often are people being logged out, and is it too much?
Associate Editor, CVG
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby TheLastDodo » 27 Sep 2012, 17:27

It always says "logged out for security reasons" for me and can happen a good few times per day.

Sometimes it can be hours between, sometimes it's been minutes between, it seems random.
TheLastDodo 77

Next