to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

stop the adverts!!

Website announcements, tips for users, welcome pages and feedback

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

stop the adverts!!

Postby kovin » 24 Aug 2012, 14:23

getting really angry no with the constant pop up adverts.
Opening a page has the Transformers video take over, I close that and then a Sleeping Dogs video starts up, sometimes a Sleeping Dogs pop up ad.
Now repeat the above everytime i go through a multipage article on every single page.
Having side adverts is fine, but I just want to read the article
kovin 59

PSN ID: GregorKovin

Re: stop the adverts!!

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 25 Aug 2012, 00:18

Use an adblocker.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby Lady Gagagged » 23 Sep 2012, 17:16

spaceman_DOUG wrote:Use an adblocker.

Why is that everyones answer to complaints like this without checking if the browser they're using supports such a feature? I usually browse on my PS3 and don't have the luxury of an adblocker.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 23 Sep 2012, 19:43

Buy a computer.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby flash501 » 23 Sep 2012, 23:00

I haven't touched the settings on either, yet still I haven't encountered a single add whilst browsing this site on my IPod or when using Google Chrome on my laptop. Surely everyone has access to Chrome and/or Safari in this day and age?! Add blockers surely aren't that hard to set up either???
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby SoulChimera » 28 Sep 2012, 09:55

I only really view CVG on my iPhone these days apart from the odd one or two times I want to comment or view the media they have posted in the article (quite often this doesn't display on the mobile page). Lately the full screen take over ads have become a nightmare. Everyt ime I click on a link I'm shown a full page LittleBigPlanet Vita ad. Which quite often takes me to Sainsbury's when I try to close it. Is there any reason why we have to see it every time we view a page? Surely once per visit is enough?
Big Money!
Big Prizes!
I Love It!!
SoulChimera 60

Postby Rob Crossley » 28 Sep 2012, 11:04

Hey all. I'm speaking to the management to sort this. Will try and sort it ASAP
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby SoulChimera » 28 Sep 2012, 14:49

Excellent. No problem with the odd full page ad to pay the bills to keep the site running but the same thing over and over again is a bit much.

Thanks for the update.
Big Money!
Big Prizes!
I Love It!!
SoulChimera 60

Postby nefariousbig » 17 Jun 2013, 13:23

Having to use an external means to overcome a shortcoming on the sight should never be the answer... if there are overly invasive ads, which I know I've certainly experienced to an annoying degree, that's an issue for the site and not the user.
nefariousbig 51

Postby Balladeer » 17 Jun 2013, 14:43

Adverts are necessary for money, which keeps the site running. I get that. But do we have to include the adverts for an "explicit fantasy game", which have been popping up recently? An explicit fantasy ripoff of WoW, no less: down to being called Wartune and using very similar logo presentation.

I log into this site at work. I probably shouldn't. But it gets you hits: hits which will disappear if I'm worried about my colleagues spying ridiculous barely-covered bosoms plastered all over the page.

EDIT: Ooh, I can "mute" certain ads! Not sure if it's Chrome or the advertising service, but good to know either way.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby OfWolfAndBiggs » 19 Jun 2013, 22:39

This keeps happening to me too on my Nexus 7 and it's always an advert for Sony.

Any decrease in their frequency would be appreciated.
OfWolfAndBiggs 46

Xbox Live: OfWolfAndBiggs

Postby Balladeer » 25 Jun 2013, 16:59

The Jack Wolfskin adverts are too large and push the forum layout down when they load. Get rid or shrink please.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

Balladeer 77

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Jul 2013, 10:50

This advert, something to do with questy looty stuff, is absurdly large on the main home page.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 68

Postby billysastard » 31 Jul 2013, 11:48

my ad blockers says it blocked 11 ads on this forum page alone.

EDIT: and 6 on the post reply page.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Balladeer » 16 Aug 2013, 16:07

Okay, the Firefall advert is getting silly. While viewing the pictures in the LEGOformers article (i.e. nothing to do with space, shooters, or F2P games), I had to keep scrolling down as four of the buggers spawned in a column, one above the other. Sort it out, chaps. It's not as if F2P games are popular around these parts anyway.

Balladeer 77

Next