to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The C-bomb, article comments and recent controversies

Website announcements, tips for users, welcome pages and feedback

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The C-bomb, article comments and recent controversies

Postby Johnh420 » 07 Dec 2011, 13:27

There’s been quite a bit of traffic and PMs about swearing and the specific use of the c-bomb (to put it politely) in article comments.

Much as I’m really reluctant to get involved with semantics and especially the banning of particular words or phrases, clearly this has got to a stage where some action is required as we’ve got disgruntled mods, banned users and a generally bad feeling about the whole business.

Here’s my judgement, not everyone is going to like it, but you asked for it, so here it is.

CVG is a gaming site for adults and swearing is part of the language that gets used on the site. We mitigate this by starring out offensive phrases.

The c-word is one of the most offensive of all swear words - if you have to use it, you should only use it extremely sparingly or for emphasis in rare cases. It loses its ability to shock if you use it all the time.

On email, message boards and forums there are none of the nuances or subtle pointers we get in everyday face to face interaction or even phone conversation. It’s very easy to offend people, even if you are apparently just 'joking'. If you call someone a c**t, don't be surprised if they're offended.

So from now on:

If you must use stronger swear words - and to be honest there are much wittier and better ways to get your point across - please confine it to the forum where it’ll be seen by the CVG community, rather than article comments where it’s on view to the whole world,

If you’re warned or banned for swearing in article comments don’t be surprised.

Furthermore:

The CVG editorial tech and admin teams have little to no time to moderate the site, that’s why we ask for volunteer moderators who sacrifice their own valuable time and effort to do a difficult and often thankless job.

If they ask you to do something or moderate your behaviour, then please comply. That’s what they are there for.

If you’ve been banned, take it on the chin, serve your ban and return to the boards an older and wiser man (or lady) – and especially, don’t sulk or bait the moderators. That will earn you a perma-ban.

If you think the mods are doing such a bad job, ask yourself why you haven’t volunteered to moderate the site.

I'm really reluctant to put together a definitive list of restrictive rules and FAQs mainly because I think with sufficient goodwill and a bit of understanding between users, mods and admins, an adult gaming community should be able to moderate itself, however if this proves not to be the case, then clearly we'll have to develop one.
My first novel [url]http://amzn.to/qvQ8XN[/url]
Johnh420 99

Re: The C-bomb, article comments and recent controversies

Postby slick loose » 07 Dec 2011, 15:04

Completely agree, although I think you kinda bypassed how roy dealt with the situation. Personally, I didn't have a problem with him until then.

If you think the mods are doing such a bad job, ask yourself why you haven’t volunteered to moderate the site.

Hell, I volunteer. I have plenty of free time and doesn't seem to hard...although I don't fancy my chances for some reason. Still the offer is there if you want a fair mod who will take criticisms on the chin.
slick loose 67

PSN ID: slickloose

Postby Johnh420 » 08 Dec 2011, 16:03

Thanks Slick... I'll put you up as a candidate in the Staff & Mods forum and let you know.
My first novel [url]http://amzn.to/qvQ8XN[/url]
Johnh420 99

Postby StonecoldMC » 08 Dec 2011, 18:01

Clarification!

"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby roynluc » 09 Dec 2011, 09:04

Thanks for the clarification, John, much appreciated.

I'm sure I have a few bridges to build with some disgruntled users, but hey, I don't think what I was asking for was unreasonable.

The abuse I got from some of the other posters was probably warranted to some extent, but like I have said before, I'm a reasonable man and will usually stand my ground on things I believe in. If I ask people nicely to not do something and all I get is abuse back, I'm going to react, much like many users reacted to my banning of Grolsch. It's human nature and none of us are perfect.

Please accept my apologies if I have p**sed any of you off in the last week, I meant no harm in doing what I did, I just want to make this place a friendlier environment to come to. Is that too much to ask?
roynluc 64
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: Stonie uk
PSN ID: Stonie_uk
Wii Code: 3DS- 0216-0774-2209

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Dec 2011, 10:02

There was rights and wrongs on both sides and to be honest Roy, some of the Users who posted against you was nothing more than a lynch mob.

Heres hoping we have all learned our lessons and we can move on and put the sorry mess bhind us.

Peace people!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 09 Dec 2011, 19:13

Well I've apologised to Roy personally. But what's done is done so we can only move on from here.

Anyway! It's Christmas time!!!!! :D :D :D
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Lady Gagagged » 12 Dec 2011, 19:16

I'd also like to put myself forward for the position for moderator.

slick loose wrote:Completely agree, although I think you kinda bypassed how roy dealt with the situation. Personally, I didn't have a problem with him until then.

Roy admitted he dealt with the initial problem incorrectly, at least that was how I took his monday post. Like Stonecold said there was quite a lynch mob mentality from a lot of users, and a great deal of pointless profanity when trying to discuss two serious issues.

I don't think the moderation is as bad as the recent C Word and spate of bans issues would have you believe.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 12 Dec 2011, 20:53

I'll also throw my hat in if you're making new mods, I've got the time and I'm on here a lot.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 12 Dec 2011, 21:16

I'd vote Doug before but I'm getting the feeling it will be too PC around here though. Still I think he deserves a chance, decent member of the site and a regular unlike half the mods on board.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 12 Dec 2011, 22:36

I'm not "PC", that nonsense was made up to take the p**s out of liberals, democrats and the like.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG