The last game you completed, and rating.

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: The last game you completed, and rating.

Postby ricflair » 23 Dec 2012, 21:55

Oh they're definitely more popular. I do wonder what would happen if these companies properly pushed these games that aren't your Hollywood blockbuster type games - they're the only ones you see on TV for the most part. It's like the way Sega treated Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns.

Apart from polish, I couldn't say I thought Gears is really any better than Binary Domain, at least in terms of campaign, but it doesn't get the big push, or the coverage, and therefore isn't even close in terms of review scores or sales. And there was no ridiculous French robot in Gears either!
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby gippobeater » 24 Dec 2012, 15:10

Driver San Francisco

Can't decide if it was good or not, but the story was so dumb that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It just keeps getting crazier and crazier, i couldn't stop laughing at the stuff near the end. Tanner's voice actor is horrible, so that adds to the B movie feel of the whole game. Didn't touch the multiplayer, cuz I'd had my fill of the game from the 6 or 7 hours it took me to complete it. I'd recommend playing through it, if only to see how ridiculous the last few chapters get.

7/10
It's Resolutionary
gippobeater 72

Postby gippobeater » 29 Dec 2012, 18:57

Resi 6: Jake's campaign.

It's average at best, making absolutely no sense at the best of times. It's a spit in the face to all the japanese game developers that are trying to create something unique, instead of trying and failing to make a western game. I could be here all day listing the problems I had with it.

4/10

On to Chris' campaign, give me strength Jebus. :P
It's Resolutionary
gippobeater 72

Postby dwhlufc » 29 Dec 2012, 18:58

gippobeater wrote:Resi 6: Jake's campaign.

It's average at best, making absolutely no sense at the best of times. It's a spit in the face to all the japanese game developers that are trying to create something unique, instead of trying and failing to make a western game. I could be here all day listing the problems I had with it.

4/10

How long is each campaign, mate?
dwhlufc 76

Postby gippobeater » 29 Dec 2012, 19:53

dwhlufc wrote:
gippobeater wrote:Resi 6: Jake's campaign.

4/10

How long is each campaign, mate?

5 or 6 hours maybe? Jakes had 5 chapters, each varying between half an hour to an hour and a half.
It's Resolutionary
gippobeater 72

Postby slick loose » 29 Dec 2012, 20:49

Saw II: Flesh & Blood

+Has Got the Saw 'feel' bang on
+Some puzzles are pretty good...

-...the first time round, you tend to do different variations of the same puzzles throughout the game
-Story is a bit naff
-Graphics are also naff
-A bit too long for me
-Crashed and glitched a few times

A game with some promise but it's basically a Saw themed puzzle game, with about 10 different puzzles in the whole game. Only get if you're a hardcore fan! You don't really see anything gruesome but I think that's more down to technical limitations than a censorship thing.
4/10
slick loose 68

PSN ID: slickloose

Postby Yellow6 » 31 Dec 2012, 06:57

Homefront
8/10
I thoroughly enjoyed this game.
It has some excellent firefights and a good mix of mission types.
I thought the "Goliath" was cool.
I took around the same time to play it as I did for Medal of Honour.
I liked the settings, in the backyards of Americana, gun-nut farms, the Golden Gate bridge etc.
The colour pallette was pleasing to my eye.
The "follow Connor" constantly was pretty annoying but if you just put up with it the game delivered
excellent bang for the buck.
I got this maybe a year ago, pretty cheap price on Steam at christmas (I think) so it was excellent
value for money. Given the ludicrous prices you could have got it for recently I would advise anyone who
enjoys a good FPS to snap this up.
I played the campaign only and have no interest in multi-player so my 8/10 stands on the single player only
in case that makes a difference to you.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46

Postby dwhlufc » 31 Dec 2012, 21:18

Rescue City - iOS

Don't dismiss this because its an iOS review. I haven't been as addicted to a game as I have with this since my PES days, back on the PS2.

It's very simple. You have a birds eye view of a few small city blocks. You control the police, fire brigade and ambulance service. Each emergency service has a home base and when there icons flash on different parts of the city, its your job to dispatch the relevant service to the distress call, or in the case of an ambulance, make sure it reaches the hospital on time. All three service's have time limits, the fire brigade have the longest time limit as their vehicle is the slowest, the police car is the fastest and you can make multiple arrests with their car, but you only have thirty seconds before you have to return to the station to drop off your prisoners and the ambulance is just dispatched from the scene straight to the hospital.

The tutorial is very good in explaining it all and the first city (of four) is basically there to just ease you in and show you the ropes. By the time you reach the third city there's potholes to keep your eye on - they'll slow your vehicle down and make those time limits even tighter. Shortly after that the game introduce fast lanes, where your vehicles double their speeds, which helps with the pothole problem, but also forces you to watch and time your vehicles routes more efficiently. The final city then throws a huge curve ball at you.......traffic! It doesn't ramp up the difficulty to a frustrating level, but actually improves the game and makes the final city a real challenge. There's also the odd lightning strike thrown in which blinds your view for a second or two but this never once caused me to crash.

The controls are bang on and play to the touch screens strengths as they should - simple and responsive. It also allows you to stop any vehicle mid-journey by simply tapping it once to stop it, and then tapping it again to re-start it back to its set destination.

I know a lot of you don't really game on iOS or android but if your going to try one game and if your after a game thats perfect in five minute bursts, or on the "s**tter" as RBT would say, then I recommend this highly.

4/5
dwhlufc 76

Postby gippobeater » 31 Dec 2012, 22:18

I'll have to check that out Dave. Cheers.
It's Resolutionary
gippobeater 72

Postby gippobeater » 01 Jan 2013, 01:50

Resident Evil 5 - Chris' campaign.

Worse than Jake's probably, it's just a chore to get through. The achievement you get for completing it is called "Duty Calls", which basically sums up the campaign nicely. It's a third person Call of Duty game, it has everything from slow mo hostage situations to on rails jet sequences. It's actually more Medal Of Honor than COD, it'd be an insult to COD to say it's anywhere near as good as it. There are two good parts to the game, that last about 5 minutes each, but they involve ripping enemies straight out of previous Resi games. Less QTE's in Chris' campaign which is probably the only plus I can think of. Oh, and the hilariously bad dialogue.

2/10

On to Leon's, which has started terribly. Happy New Year to me. :P
It's Resolutionary
gippobeater 72

Postby Multiplayerking » 01 Jan 2013, 05:24

Play a good game!! :P
Hey
Multiplayerking 69

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby dwhlufc » 01 Jan 2013, 09:16

I'm not going to bother after those reviews.
dwhlufc 76

Postby jim2wheels » 01 Jan 2013, 11:38

Darksiders 2 - 7/10

I'm not quite sure if I really like this game. I loved the original and by the numbers the sequel is an improvement across the board. However the game is like two huge slices of bread with a single filling - there's not enough going on. At the 15 hour point I would have given it an 8.5 but it just dragged on for far too long. It's a shame THQ own this IP, a more accomplished studio could really do something special with it.

+ loads of good loot with really cool configurations
+ good amount of character build flexibility
+ some interesting puzzles that combine with special abilities
+ tonnes of boss fights
+ easily 60+ hours of gameplay on a single play

- combat is essentially hit roll hit special move roll hit etc
- the game gives if an air of open world, but it's just an illusion. The game is quite linear once you take a step back and look at the big picture
- it was too long and the game became a grind after 20 hours. There's just not enough variety in a game of that size.
- underwhelming ending
- some really annoying bugs still remain
jim2wheels 69

PSN ID: jim2wheels

Postby middle finger » 01 Jan 2013, 12:46

After reading the last few pages here, I cant wait for upcoming high quality, polished and bug free PlayStation exclusives.
middle finger 68

Postby gippobeater » 01 Jan 2013, 14:19

Multiplayerking wrote:Play a good game!! :P

I'd love to, have Far Cry 3 and Hitman waiting for me. But I have a mate who's played the game for over a hundred hours and I wanted to see if the game was actually good or if he's actually a pyschopath in the making. I have no idea how anyone could play Resi 6 for a hundred hours. He must love to torture himself.
It's Resolutionary
gippobeater 72

PreviousNext