to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The last game you completed, and rating.

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: The last game you completed, and rating.

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 16 Nov 2012, 03:36

More like Assassin's Creed 3/10 amirite.

Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby CrispyLog » 16 Nov 2012, 13:31

Halo 4

Tis brilliant.

Going through my Legendary playthrough and it's tough but good fun. Only used the noob combo a couple of times as melee and Needler are still very effective against elites. Struggling with the knights though, not got enough ideas to take them down other than take out watchers and crawlers first then try to lure the knights into a one-on-one and use the suppressor.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 74

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby Carbon64 » 16 Nov 2012, 14:35

That's probably gonna be your best bet for them crispy , a plasma grenade takes off their shields but you never really have them when there's a few knights.

Come up against any spikes in it yet in terms of there being to many power weapon wielding ones ?
Carbon64 56

Xbox Live: XB JACK
PSN ID: Carbon64

Postby Multiplayerking » 16 Nov 2012, 15:42

spaceman_DOUG wrote:More like Assassin's Creed 3/10 amirite.

Nah, I'd give it 5.5/10, I think.
Hey
Multiplayerking 68

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby middle finger » 16 Nov 2012, 21:37

2 was the best in the series.
middle finger 64

Postby Fr33Kye » 18 Nov 2012, 00:01

ACII wasn't even that good....that's sad.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby slick loose » 18 Nov 2012, 00:05

I only played 1 & 2 and I couldn't take it anymore.

Easily one of the most repetitive game series this gen.
slick loose 67

PSN ID: slickloose

Postby theideal » 18 Nov 2012, 00:13

II was great, Brotherhood was amazing.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 18 Nov 2012, 00:38

Black Ops 2 - Campaign

Just finished my run through on normal mode. Overall I'd say Treyarch impressed me with their campaign, I didnt play Blops 1 after the abominations that were W@W and COD 3. I didnt really get what was going on at the start, but got to grips with it the more I played.

Beginning with the positives, I liked the style of the campaign, flicking between the past and present with Mason Sr and Jr. It narked me a bit that Wood and Future masons partner looked virtually the same, surely it cant be that hard to design different looking characters but thats a small grievance. The flicking between past and future, linked with the x-com style missions really kept me interested, the variety was a welcome change. Whilst I was sceptical about the future setting, I actually really enjoyed it! The weapons and their subsequent attachments really feel different from each other, rather than just being re-skinned versions of the same few guns. You are able to really taylor a set-up that suits your play style with the different scopes, guns and attachments. I also have to say I liked Menendez as a villain. In past COD games I simply havent had a scooby doo what is going on and why I am trying to kill the person Im being told to. Menendez is the first villain that Ive really liked, probably because you can almost emphasise with his point and reasoning, he isnt an 'evil for the sake of it' villain.

Onto the negatives, well really these can just be lifted off any of the other Call of Duty titles. Whilst the gameplay isnt bad, it really hasnt evolved at all from MW2, which is inexcusable seeing as there have been at least 2 other games in-between MW2 and Blops 2. The game is generally very cheap, enemies can see you from miles away and are pin point accurate, you get stuck on ridiculous invisible walls when trying to move and often get killed by enemies you just cannot see. The game forces you to keep moving forward due to the re-spawning soldiers, but doesnt provide you with any cover to do so. You often get to the end of a section, thinking you've killed everyone, just to be insta-killed by a random grenade, or even worse an enemy who has spawned right behind you. I said in the Blops 2 thread that shooting enemies through some cover isnt a new feature, so why its been removed in this game I dont know. Unless you have a specific sniper rifle, you cant hit enemies through cover, meaning that the enemy you can clearly see through a bush is invincible, it really is a cheap move.

Overall, I actually enjoyed the game more than I thought, and im glad I actually played through the campaign this time, unlike MW3 which I never touched. Blops 2 is a solid game, but its beginning to age quite a lot. The series cant get away with simply re-skinning MW2 any longer, and really needs dragging into the next generation with some refreshed gameplay and even a new game engine. Well worth playing, but its not a GOTY contender.

8/10
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby TheLastDodo » 18 Nov 2012, 03:47

Little bit awkward now.

Black Ops 2

Really enjoyed it, it's your typical CoD campaign, explosions, traitors in the mist, cocksuckers, explosions, slo mo room breaches, cocksuckers, plot twists, explosions, crappy AI, cocksuckers, explosions, cocksuckers, explosions, you get the picture. I thought Treyarch did a good job of building the story up, yes the action is pretty much non stop but I liked that the first half is spent trying to flesh out the story, characters, motives, explaining what happened between end of Blops and the future sections of Blops 2 then the second half sees Menendez finally unleash the inevitable armageddon on US soil.

I liked Raul Menendez as the villain, rather than just trot out another generic Bin Laden style terrorist Treyarch created a charismatic villain with character and motive, a villain you could almost empathise with. I know it was the guy that worked on the Nolan Batman movies that wrote the story for Black Ops 2, I think Menendez is clearly inspired by the villains of Nolans Batman movies and to an extent the old Bond movies too.

For the first time playing a CoD game I haven't thought "God it needs a new engine." Treyarch have pushed the engine more than I thought possible, Black Ops 2 looks great, sounds great and runs great. The character animations look better than before as does lip syncing, environments look more detailed, fancy visual effects have been added, levels seem bigger than before too. I thought the future setting worked well, the ability to choose a loadout before missions start, been able to take control of drones and things (still not learned the names lol) via the 'Access' areas in levels was a nice addition and added more variety to the firefights.

The only real negative I had with the campaign was the Strike Force missions. In theory they sound good, in practice they failed hard for me. My main complaint was with the structure. You're given a time limit, you only get a select amount of troops, you only get a select amount of attempts to complete the missions and the friendly AI are completely useless to the point that you end up just having to "go all Rambo" which will fail miserably when you're faced with ten IOD bots each with a machine gun and a rocket launcher. Somehow I made my way to the final mission where you have to kill Zhao but I never even threatened to get the job done. Cool idea, poor execution for me, if it's to return then it needs lots of work.

As far as CoD campaigns go it's probably lacking in standout moments (my highlights would be the Battle of Los Angeles, the floating city chapter and the flooded chapter in Pakistan I think it was) but it made up for it with an excellent new villain, a better than usual plot and more variety in combat.

9/10
TheLastDodo 77

Postby dwhlufc » 18 Nov 2012, 09:18

Nice write ups chaps. Ill rent this after Christmas and play through the campaign.

Would you advise on just skipping the strike force missions, dodo?
dwhlufc 75

Postby TheLastDodo » 18 Nov 2012, 13:06

They're just weird and random dave.

It's supposed to add something different with the overhead view and strategy but you end up switching to the regular view and having to do it all yourself.

I was playing on the difficulty above normal. Hard? Hardened?

Picture the dumb enemy AI you face in a COD campaign, standing out in the open, not shooting you when you're stood right next to em, they're the guys on your side in StrikeForce missions.

The last mission was awful to me, didn't matter what I tried the IOD bots slaughtered everyone, I tried flanking a squad of enemies, I tried sending all my squads the same way to brute force my way through, I told my squads to focus their fire on the turrets, IOD bots. Nothing worked.

Another one you have to rescue someone and it was just me left and I was in a tunnel with just a pistol and there were 7-8 guys rushing towards me so I threw a grenade and hoped for best and it cleared them all out, the funny bit was afterwards as I was making my way towards the extraction point, there were loads of enemies on the other side of the map that I just ran past and they didn't make any effort to kill me.

It just needs a lot of work for me.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 18 Nov 2012, 21:33

The strike missions do affect the story so they're worth doing, if you're doing it on recruit or normal you can probably just one man all of them, but on vet I just didn't see how I was meant to do India or Iran, your guys just die if you leave them on their own for a few seconds, and you can't take control of everybody at once, then when the enemies are attacking all your positions at once it's all over.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby Multiplayerking » 18 Nov 2012, 22:09

Noob.
Hey
Multiplayerking 68

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby jim2wheels » 18 Nov 2012, 22:16

Bitch slapped.
jim2wheels 68

PSN ID: jim2wheels

PreviousNext