to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Gaming Novels

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Gaming Novels

Postby Barry316 » 02 Jan 2013, 22:24

What i don't like is when a series that starts as a game gets a novel that has much more story in than the actual games ever do. So those that supported the game in the first place but don't get chance to read that much will miss out on a lot of the finer details. It's especially bad if the new game in a series refers to something that happened in a novel, you're sat there without a bloody clue!
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby TheLastDodo » 02 Jan 2013, 22:41

It depends on how much story they give away with the game really Carbon.

Halo doesn't give enough to me, I love that encyclopedia in Mass Effect 2, I got ME2 on PS3, hadn't played the first game so the interactive comic + the encyclopedia helped fill in the blanks, it was all in-game and it was free.

It makes sense to hide story in Bioshock as it adds to the mystery of what happened in Rapture and the tapes on the floor fill you in on some events.

As long as it doesn't get ripped out of the game for you to buy later like DLC then I'm ok with it, as long as it's nothing important thats ripped out then I'm ok with it.

EDIT: What Barry said is the kind of the thing that makes me uncomfortable with gaming novels.

Ideally I'd like it to be a Walking Dead like thing, they share characters but the TV show and the comic do their own things.

Another example is Nolan's Batman films, I don't need a novel, I don't need to play a game, don't need to watch the Burton films to fill me in. Nolan creates his own universe for the story and characters, what happened in a comic a few years ago is irrelevant.

Just keep everything separate, game has it's own universe, comic has it's own universe.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Carbon64 » 03 Jan 2013, 11:32

Mass Effects a 30 odd hour game ( minimum ) though so they can put more story in it where as halos an 8 hourish fps , there's only so much you can put into that time.

The books make sense in that way in that it fleshes everything out while letting the games do what they do. Halo 4's story is a bit messed up because of the time between it and 3 , there's no way try could have covered that without either putting it in books or making 4 a multi layered campaign that probably would have been rather boring to play.

4 is basically a game for the fans who have been there since the beginning and know about the universe and who everyone is I think , not the best idea for the majority I agree but it makes a change for those who are.
Carbon64 56

Xbox Live: XB JACK
PSN ID: Carbon64

Previous