What makes a gamer?

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

What makes a gamer?

Postby Bambis Dad » 02 Nov 2012, 12:24

I know I'm often accused of being a fanboy as I slate the 360 and its library and have a dim view of PC gaming. My views on the 360 are really meant to be tongue in cheek, I own a 360 and play it as much as I play my PS3. PC gaming it is more that I often find myself playing games on a pad as I don't like keyboard and mouse set ups and so feel it is more like a souped up console. But if you put a game on either in front of me I will try it.

A few years back, the day after the Wii launched, I took mine into work. There were a lot of gamers there and instead of a lunch time session playing on the PSP I thought why not. We got it set up and everyone wanted a try except for one guy. Even people that wouldn't normally play video games had a try and were quite impressed. But as I said one guy wouldn't touch it. He often described himself as a 'hard core' gamer though it later transpired he only played WoW and Final Fantasy games and nothing else. What are your views?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Re: What makes a gamer?

Postby Whitby » 02 Nov 2012, 13:19

Fingers.
Bought to you by Google Images!
Whitby 55

Xbox Live: Electric Col
PSN ID: Powderfinger13

Postby FishyGinger » 02 Nov 2012, 14:13

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, playing games as a hobby makes someone a gamer. My girlfriend plays a few iphone games and sims 3 but you could say she is a gamer to an extent (she reads a lot more and watches more films than playing games). Hardcore I'd only relate to the amount of time someone plays but enjoys anything. Someone who only plays WoW or final fantasy isn't hardcore, just a muppet.

One thing that does annoy me, think it was Ali and someone else who stated it, but folk who say 'play this console as it's a real games console, that one is just a toy'. Was stated in relation to the vita and 3ds/ds but quite commonly used against the wii also. If ones a toy because it plays games, so is the other one. Such a moronic outlook.

Either way, one person is not more or less of a gamer because of the console they play on, just as someone who owns all games consoles isn't more of a gamer than someone who owns 1. I'd more than happily play on any console/gaming device. I just chose xbox and pc as I use a pc anyways and xbox is more suited to my needs.

I'm sure S-smith and his wife Jboo would say I'm wrong but that's why they/he are pricks.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby TheLastDodo » 02 Nov 2012, 14:50

Pretty much what Fishy said.

If you play games on your PC, console or phone like his girlfriend then yes I'd consider you a gamer.

As for "hardcore" then I'd say that's someone that plays anything ranging from AAA blockbuster right down to small budget indie and smartphone games.

Again, like Fishy, I'd say playing X for 20 hours straight does not make you hardcore.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Multiplayerking » 02 Nov 2012, 15:48

What makes a gamer?

When a man and a woman love each other very much...
Hey
Multiplayerking 70

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 02 Nov 2012, 20:34

Same as what ginge and dodo said, to me a gamer is anyone that regular plays games.

A hardcore gamer to me is someone like me and you lot that have a deep interest in the industry, likes to try a range of games and knows about indie games etc.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Balladeer » 02 Nov 2012, 22:40

"Gamer" has been well documented above. However, I'd disagree with Grolsch on the definition of "hardcore gamer": for me it's just someone who would describe gaming as a "principal hobby", and can talk about what's happening in the world of gaming to some extent. Doesn't matter if you've only ever played Angry Birds: if you know all the angles to fire the birds at for every level, that's hardcore enough for me. Possibly a little too hardcore, actually.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 03 Nov 2012, 03:18

games make a gamer
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby middle finger » 03 Nov 2012, 07:19

Multiplayerking wrote:
What makes a gamer?

When a man and a woman love each other very much...

:lol:
middle finger 68

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 03 Nov 2012, 18:16

PC gaming [] it is more like a souped up console

stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby gadgetguy » 12 Feb 2013, 02:40

Whitby wrote:Fingers.

:)) I was going to say the same thing:)) You beat me to it...my second answer is "a PC"
gadgetguy 7