to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Recently Abandoned Games - Jim'll Leave It.

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Recently Abandoned Games - Jim'll Leave It.

Postby Reegeee » 03 Jan 2012, 19:37

Just realised we don't have one of these threads and it's my go to read over on Eurogamer.

I find myself doing it quite a lot these days, getting so far in a game and then just stopping. Sometimes it's cos it gets boring, sometimes too frustrating. Most recently I chucked Prince of Persia: Two Thrones. After a pretty decent start I just got p**sed off with the 'stealth' which was basically QTE sequences without the button prompts, the trial and error nature of the game, and the drawn out combat. I'm a big fan of the Prince of Persia games in that I loved Sands of Time, thought the 2008 version was decent, and thought the Forgotten Sands was really good, but this has just lost it for me. It just doesn't have the same flow to it.

Anyone else binned anything recently?
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Re: Recently Abandoned Games

Postby Balladeer » 03 Jan 2012, 19:47

No, actually. Maybe I'm just getting more cautious/restrictive with my game choices, but I've finished all the last five games I got. And the one before them was pathetically easy with a really awful story.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby TheLastDodo » 03 Jan 2012, 20:35

Dead Island and Deus Ex HR.

Dead Island is fun but it's shallow and repetitive so I consciously put it aside before it wore out it's welcome.

Love Deus Ex, bosses aside, it's one of my faves of 2011, but I've done what I normally do and got distracted by something new, it's in my mind to go back to it regularly so it's not like I'll trade it in anytime soon though.

Looking through my collection, I must've completed about 33-50% of all my games, I have noticed a pattern developing though, most my uncompleted games tend to be RPG's or have RPG heavy aspects, which is bad as while I like a quick CoD sized campaign, I find myself drawn to RPG's over other genres these days without having the patience to see them through.

Other games I haven't finished in my collection: Borderlands, Mass Effect 2, Skyrim (which I'll be trading soon anyway) and guess what I ordered yesterday, Dark Souls.

All RPG's :lol:.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 03 Jan 2012, 20:52

I finish pretty much all my games, at least complete the campaign anyway. The exceptions are FF13 and Resistance 2 because I lost my save files, and I simply refuse to restart any game unless its for a Plat :wink:

But I actually broke that trend last night when I get fed up of Bayonettas combat system. I was enjoying the crazyness of the game but I just don't like the combat, I'm not saying its crap, I just can't be arsed to learn all the combos and s**t so I'm just button bashing my way through. I'd much prefer the combat to be more simplified like GoW as I feel more skilled rather than a lucky t**t. Anyway after telling Dave that I gave up on a boss fight I felt bad so went back to it tonight with a better attitude of wanting to learn how to play the game properly and nailed the boss fight and now I'm enjoying it a lot more.

But I think its stupid buying games if you're not going to complete at least as close to all of them as possible. Especially if you've paid anymore than £10 for these games.

Edit- Crysis 2. That was just one s**t game. Thats my excuse anyway.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Reegeee » 03 Jan 2012, 20:55

@ Balladeer - I suppose only having Nintendo stuff you have the advantage of being totally starved of content and so you pretty much have to finish everything. :D

I gave up on Deus Ex aswell. It was always my intention to go back but my PS3 broke so I lost my save and so will have to start again. I'm sure I will at some point though because it was excellent.

I gave up on Mass Effect 2 for the longest time, but I eventually revisited it and I urge you to do the same as it does get very good despite being hugely overrated in my eyes.

Another one I never finished was Assassins Creed Brotherhood. I've tried to go back to it a few times, but it just didn't do it for me even though I really liked Assassins Creed 2.

@Grolsch - I always buy them wanting to finish them, but it just happens sometimes where you get distracted by something else or you just get p**sed off and give up with it.
Reegeee 74

Postby flash501 » 03 Jan 2012, 21:01

Off the top of my head: Outland- I love the look of it, and at the start I did enjoy it, but the further into it I got, the more boring it became, until I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

FFXIII- I despise the battle system with a passion. I soldiered on with it for as long as I could, but just thought, what's the point in continuing when I know I won't like it any more than I do now?

Borderlands- I have no idea why I gave up on this really. I got about half way through with a mate and was enjoying it a lot but just kinda forgot about it. I keep meaning to get back to it but never do.

Gears 2- Same as Borderlands really. I got about half way through it in co-op and then just stopped for no reason!

Gran Turismo 5, F1 2010, Forza 4- I bought the three of these at launch and barely played any of them past the first week, so racers can f**k off in the future! :P

Oh, and looking at Grolsch's post has reminded me that the same thing happened to me with Resistance 2, and I didn't bother restarting it either!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby middle finger » 03 Jan 2012, 21:06

Darksiders, POP trilogy, MGS ttilogy, outlandish, beyond good and evil.
middle finger 66

Postby gippobeater » 03 Jan 2012, 21:24

I have a ton of games I have yet to start that I got over the holidays. Made the mistake of starting Skyrim and now any game that I have isn't going to be played for another month or so. By that time more games will be out and i'll have fallen behind even more. :lol:

Games that I haven't finished or started that I can think of off the top of my head:
Driver: San Francisco
Rayman Origins
Rage
Red Faction Armageddon
Ico collection
Alpha protocol
Alice: Madness
Ass creed revelations
Dead Rising 2 off the record
Dark Souls
Eternal Sonata
Halo Anniversery
Dead Island
NBA 2k12
The Gunstringer
ocarina of Tine 3D
From Dust
Bastion
Crysis HD
Joe Danger
Tales Of Vesperia
Outland

:shock: Look at that list, i'm dreading trying to finish all of them rather than excited. Think i'll just hide away in Skyrim and come out when Mass Effect 3 arrives. With all those unfinished games, i'm worse than Reegeee! :lol:
It's Resolutionary
gippobeater 71

Postby Balladeer » 03 Jan 2012, 22:55

Reegeee wrote:@ Balladeer - I suppose only having Nintendo stuff you have the advantage of being totally starved of content and so you pretty much have to finish everything. :D

Cheeky git. :P Actually two of my most recently finished games weren't Ninty offerings, although they were Nintendo exclusives. You can (almost) always be assured of quality when you're buying a Nintendo game, though, which I suppose feeds into the caution.

And I still won't finish everything. Couldn't be bothered with Skyward Sword's heart pieces, for example, or ferreting out all of the new Professor Layton's puzzles. I'll only play a game until it stops becoming interesting, at which point I'll forget about gaming for a month or so (a luxury my one-company approach gives me, I'll agree, so have your goddamn point!) and compose or write or summat.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby Reegeee » 03 Jan 2012, 23:09

:lol: It could be worse, you could be a sad bastard like me that owns everything and wastes all his money buying the games and then not playing them! :)

I have managed to curb my crazy buying habit recently and don't have too much to be getting on with recently, but then the steam sales come along and just knacker everything up. Thing is as well is that I'm finding that just having Battlefield and FIFA to be enough at the moment. I appear to becoming one of 'those' people.
Reegeee 74

Postby CrispyLog » 03 Jan 2012, 23:38

gippobeater wrote:I have a ton of games I have yet to start that I got over the holidays. Made the mistake of starting Skyrim and now any game that I have isn't going to be played for another month or so. By that time more games will be out and i'll have fallen behind even more. :lol:

Games that I haven't finished or started that I can think of off the top of my head:
Rayman Origins
Rage
Red Faction Armageddon
Ico collection
Alpha protocol
Ass creed revelations
Dark Souls
Eternal Sonata
Halo Anniversery
Dead Island
NBA 2k12
The Gunstringer
ocarina of Tine 3D
From Dust
Bastion
Crysis HD
Joe Danger
Tales Of Vesperia
Outland

:shock: Look at that list, i'm dreading trying to finish all of them rather than excited. Think i'll just hide away in Skyrim and come out when Mass Effect 3 arrives. With all those unfinished games, i'm worse than Reegeee! :lol:

More money than sense.

Of my 360 games there are precious few I haven't completed. IloMilo, Eternal Sonata and Dead Rising (wasn't mine, but I gave it back as I couldnt be arsed with it). I think that's it. Luckily I only got about 10 games, but there's a couple I've not started yet and a few downloads.

Child of Eden. Loved Rez and f**king Gippo was saying it was the best game ever and a real experience, but it just didn't click and I f**ked it off.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 75

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby El Mag » 04 Jan 2012, 00:05

Almost every game I've got off the PS store. Happened with both Resi games, Burnout Crash, NBA Jam, Beyond Good & Evil HD and a load of others. I just lose interest in them easier for whatever reason.

Got Dead Island and traded it a week after. Nothing to it, it wasn't as awful as some reviews said but I can't be arsed with the nothing but fetch quest missions.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby TheLastDodo » 04 Jan 2012, 00:38

El Mag wrote:Almost every game I've got off the PS store. Happened with both Resi games, Burnout Crash, NBA Jam, Beyond Good & Evil HD and a load of others. I just lose interest in them easier for whatever reason.

Got Dead Island and traded it a week after. Nothing to it, it wasn't as awful as some reviews said but I can't be arsed with the nothing but fetch quest missions.

Oh god I forgot about PSN games, lemme count em............

21 PSN games currently on my HDD, I've finished...........3............:lol:
TheLastDodo 77

Postby ginsin » 04 Jan 2012, 01:25

gippobeater wrote:Games that I haven't finished or started that I can think of off the top of my head:
Rayman Origins
Rage
Red Faction Armageddon
Ico collection
Alpha protocol
Ass creed revelations
Dark Souls
Eternal Sonata
Halo Anniversery
Dead Island
NBA 2k12
The Gunstringer
ocarina of Tine 3D
From Dust
Bastion
Crysis HD
Joe Danger
Tales Of Vesperia
Outland

Tsk. Get back to Dark Souls! Oh, and start Rayman Origins, because it's an awesome game. Unfortunately it's been overlooked thanks to endless shooter sequels, with their lack of imagination and depressing shitness.

I more or less complete every game I buy, and if I'm not enjoying it I'll sell it on almost straight away. Banjo-Tooie and Puzzle Quest 2 (XBLA, so I can't get rid of them) are two games I currently own in which I have yet to complete.
Victory is just a prelude to the next battle.
ginsin 67

Xbox Live: Nocuous Penguin
Steam: ginsinuk

Postby Multiplayerking » 04 Jan 2012, 01:35

The main one that niggles at me is Resistance 2. I just couldn't trudge through anymore. Everything about it was just so, so below-average. It was such a chore. I've no idea how the sequel was so awesome!
Hey
Multiplayerking 69

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Next