to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby lordirongut » 20 Nov 2010, 15:45

I originally posted this in response to jaded remark on an article earlier, but I feel that more people need to see it. I'm just sick of all the hate aimed at Final Fantasy XIII and XIV. I feel the need to defend both games.

I have played every Final Fantasy and I think that XIII and XIV stand up well with the rest. I'm as big a Final Fantasy fan as you could find, and I don't think either achieve the dizzying heights of IX or VI, but then, what else really can claim to? XIV, despite being somewhat lacking in content, is beautiful and the effort that went into it is tremendous. With some patching, it'll be the best MMO out there, I'd predict by about March of next year. And it'll only grow even better after that.

And I still fail to see why people hate Final Fantasy XIII. It has one of the strongest plotlines in the series, and is astoundingly beautiful. If you can't appreciate the effort and polish in FFXIII, then there is somthing wrong with you. 'Ooooh! No towns!', 'Ooooh! It plays itself!'. These are all I hear about FFXIII. The game's entire story revolves around the hostility shown to the cast - how everyone fears them, and how people are willing to be executed just because they saw some Pulse L'cie. The main characters aren't just going to casually traipse into a shop and buy some potions, are they? And anyone who says that it plays itself seriously needs to play past the six-hour mark before opening their mouths.

What's more, people hated Final Fantasy XII, too. XIII is essentially the exact opposite, and people still hate it. The FF fanbase who choose to be vocal sure are fickle, aren't they? I like both, because both are excellent games. Most of the Final Fantasy fanbase like both, because they are epic games. It's just the vocal minority that choose to hate things because they aren't exactly like Final Fantasy VI. Square Enix have never put anything less than 100% into Final Fantasy, which is why the series is so well loved and always has been. I will continue to be excited about Final Fantasy. The stories told by them are almost unparalleled. Only those told by Hironobu Sakaguchi, the original creator, and those told by Sega with Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza even hope to compete. The graphics have always been incredible - benchmarks for their respective systems. The gameplay has always been deep, involving and strategic, and often an extension of the storyline. And the music? As missed as Nobuo Uematsu was during XIII, the music in that game still surpassed just about anything else that money can buy. When the series at it's worst is still better than it's competitors, you know you have something incredible.

No doubt, with XV and Versus XIII, people will still complain. People will still moan and say that Square Enix is rubbish and everything should be the same as it was in the SNES era. And no doubt I will still be annoyed by these comments and write more stuff like this - but that won't stop me from enjoying Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy will probably always remain my favourite series. It would take a catastrophic change to alter that. I have faith that Square Enix will continue to offer their very best. Others should do the same - Square have done nothing else up to now.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 67
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby ste hicky » 21 Nov 2010, 13:37

personally,i don't rate XIII that highly. the lack of a world,towns,npc's,sub quests or anything else to do apart from grind in a straight line for 80 hours hurt it.

the plot was laughable,the characters annoying,enemies were unimaginative being little more than colour swaps. awkward level caps and abilities being handed out post game were just a nonsense and outside the odd set piece and the hunts towards the end i'd say it was pretty dull myself.

there was no limit breaks and the summons were awful. why can't nomura design a decent bahamut for once; FFIX style? the magic was poor too: check ultima out when you get hit with it,it's weak as hell. then check divide(holy),annihilation(meteor) etc.. in lost odyssey. that's how you do a spell.

the battle system was also a major step back from XII's micro management of your allies.

i'd even put FFVIII above it,that's how lame XIII was for me man. IV,VI,VII,IX,V,III,II and X all top it easily and as far as FF goes it's one of the poorer efforts.

picture this,i'd never gotten around to it( to my eternal shame) and i had lost odyssey and FFXIII to clock,i did XIII first and then moved to LO. thank god. FFXIII is a joke compared to lost odyssey and once you play it you realise that the heart and soul is long gone from FF and all that's left is a brand name that the bobby kotick a like yoichi wada will destroy given time.

LO is a mans rpg,FFXIII is for emo kids.

sad but true.

oh and as you know man,i'm one of those who thinks that square are a bit s**t these days and that their snes and ps output far outstripped anything they've served up since FFIX.

i certainly wouldn't throw the boot in for nothing but they just haven't got it anymore.

i expect the last story to confirm once and for all just what square are missing these days.
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
User avatar
ste hicky 64
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 19:23
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby lordirongut » 21 Nov 2010, 15:40

Look, I would agree that LO is a better game (like I say, Sakaguchi is one of the rare few that can surpass Square, IMO), but that doesn't make FFXIII bad. They were wildly different in their approach but I think that both succeed epically.

I really think that the plot is very good, too. I found all of the characters to be believable. Lightning became the thing that she hated the most, L'cie. She wasn't exactly a happy bunny in the first place, either. She had lost her parents before, and she had failed to protect her sister, too. Her personality is perfectly acceptable for someone in that situation.

Snow felt it was his responsibility to lead (as he previously lead NORA) and thus had to be dauntlessly happy. He was fighting for, more than anyone else, love. Everything he did was out of love for Serah. He even continued to after she became L'cie. As a personality, he is quite, for lack of a better word, admirable. In many ways, he is the 'Knight' of the game.

Vanille is just dauntlessly optimistic. She is believable because she represents sacrifice and selflessness, more than anyone else. She betrays herself for the good of others - even to the end when she sacrifices herself with Fang. She is afraid, but hides it for everyone else. She represents someone in a hopeless situation - if she succeeds, she reverts to Crystal Stasis. If she fails, she becomes a monster. She also represents the last of her kind. Her personality is again, acceptable. She does what she can to protect others and help, before the inevitable happens.

Sazh is trying to protect his son - he does what any caring father would do. He almost sacrifices himself for his son. Fang is very similar to Vanille, although she is less optimistic and more down-to-earth. Again, for someone who has seen what she has, very believable.

Hope, the most hated character in the game, to me, is arguably the most believable (although not the best). At the start, he is confused, much like everyone else. However, he loses his mother almost immediately because of Snow - it would seem natural that he wanted revenge, especially since his hate figure didn't apologise or acknowledge what he had done. He just continued making bigheaded comments. While wanting to kill Snow was maybe a bit extreme, he realised that, and his sense of justice prevented him from following through. Much like most people would have done.

The plot was genuinely strong. It represented desperation, hopelessness and confusion, and it succeeded at showing all of them.

FFX was just as linear as XIII, too, and all Final Fantasy has been linear to an extent. It's the nature of JRPGs in general. While towns would have been nice, like I say, they really wouldn't have fit with the themes of the plot.

As for the current state of Square Enix, well, that's up for debate. I have personally enjoyed all of their Japanese-developed games this gen. Even Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 67
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby Izo » 21 Nov 2010, 17:14

Can't talk about XIV as I haven't played it but imo both FFX and FFXIII went down the wrong path for the series and I'll highlight why the heavily linear approach has hurt the series. Being story driven doesn't mean you have to be heavily linear one of the major elements throughout the series was the sense of adventure that came with the story and this was all due to the free roaming approach.

In FFVII, FFIX, FFVI and FFIV the free roaming element of the games provided by the world map has been the driving force for the adventure part of the games as it serves as a hub for events both story and optional and also allowed players to manage what they'd want to do next much like you'd do in your own adventure. An example is in FFVII the two optional characters Yuffie and Vincent are ran into by chance if you're exploring the right areas and even their personal sidequests are also encountered in the same nature, most people who like exploring will most likely run into Yuffie's quest and get caught off guard by it. When all said and done you can get back to the main quest, it's the same in IX, VI and IV, now what FFX did what throw the main free roaming mechanic out the window and FFXIII took that even further, now what you have is a game that is no different in structure to games like God of War and so on.

Yes it may be one of the stronger plot driven games but the fact is JRPGs suffer more from the heavily linear approach then gain from it as the gameplay elements in them aren't solid enough to hold the game up unlike games like Vanquish, God of War or Gears etc... You also can't even do sidequests until the game allows you and in FFXIII case you can't even pick your own party until later on. FFX did away with the free roaming but still allowed some of the series' elements to remain, Final Fantasy no longer feels like an RPG adventure like the previous games did no story no matter how good would of got FFXIII a better reception as the gameplay approach that helped compliment previous game's stories isn't there. It may not seem like much but that world map mechanic provided a lot more to the games then people realize.

As for SE they've been sub-par this gen, I ain't going to hold no punches here Level 5 have been the better RPG developer by far and I'm glad Horii retains full control of the DQ series as he and his team obviously still have an idea of what made the previous games great and it's a master stroke having L5 help out in development, here's to DQX's now inevitable run to becoming the best console rpg of this gen when it's released and the DQ franchise once again becoming the best rpg of the gen following DQVIII and DQIX. Persona 5 won't be too bad either, SE's main consolation is that they'll be publishing these games in the west when they show up.
Image
Image
User avatar
Izo 71
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6581
Joined: 17 Mar 2007, 19:51
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: The Wyrdness
PSN ID: Wyrdness
Battle.net: Wii U: Wyrdness

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby ste hicky » 21 Nov 2010, 20:41

all the characters come out of the build a jrpg handbook,have no depth and very little character development and with the odd exception annoyed the arse off me to a man/girl/boy/girlyboy(see hope). while i agree that X was linear it smoked XIII for depth and gameplay ideas. imo that shows how bad XIII really is at it's fundamental level: even X looks deep next to it.

the spells were decent,limit breaks,sub quests everywhere,auron (the last cool FF character),reasons to revisit a few odd places,decent summons and the odd vaguely heartfelt moment. i hated the voiceacting and the linearity of the map but there isn't a single scene in XIII that matches X's sending fmv and at the very least the team still kind of understood what made the franchise tick. maybe cos sakaguchi was still around in some capacity?

these days the games are shallow representations of a once worldclass franchise that captivated millions for over a decade. now people are losing interest and the sales are starting to slip along with the quality. even the die hards like me who could even pull a few redeemable points out of X-2 (the den of woe and that atb set up,the best in the series) and XII(the battle on the bridge with gilgamesh and learning how to chain quickenings) are looking elsewhere for a more authentic FF experience. LO and TLS,to name two. though you could say i've gone with the FF team.

XIII has more in common with cod and mass effect: too many narrow corridors,running forward,no exploration,shallow worlds,etc..

i don't mind it but as FF's go it's a pretender to the throne.

internal politics have cost square here,big time. i'd file them along with capcom as having a bit of an identity crisis and wada has to go for the sake of any talent still there.

lastly,i just can't look at FFXIII the same after playing lost odyssey,after about 20 minutes i realised that it had XIII beaten,hands down. XIII's just not that good and that's the standard that the series should be judged by. anything else is letting it off the hook imo.

maybe if XIII had jansen or sed (cid) in....
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
User avatar
ste hicky 64
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 19:23
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby lordirongut » 22 Nov 2010, 17:08

Izo wrote:Can't talk about XIV as I haven't played it but imo both FFX and FFXIII went down the wrong path for the series and I'll highlight why the heavily linear approach has hurt the series. Being story driven doesn't mean you have to be heavily linear one of the major elements throughout the series was the sense of adventure that came with the story and this was all due to the free roaming approach.

In FFVII, FFIX, FFVI and FFIV the free roaming element of the games provided by the world map has been the driving force for the adventure part of the games as it serves as a hub for events both story and optional and also allowed players to manage what they'd want to do next much like you'd do in your own adventure. An example is in FFVII the two optional characters Yuffie and Vincent are ran into by chance if you're exploring the right areas and even their personal sidequests are also encountered in the same nature, most people who like exploring will most likely run into Yuffie's quest and get caught off guard by it. When all said and done you can get back to the main quest, it's the same in IX, VI and IV, now what FFX did what throw the main free roaming mechanic out the window and FFXIII took that even further, now what you have is a game that is no different in structure to games like God of War and so on.

Yes it may be one of the stronger plot driven games but the fact is JRPGs suffer more from the heavily linear approach then gain from it as the gameplay elements in them aren't solid enough to hold the game up unlike games like Vanquish, God of War or Gears etc... You also can't even do sidequests until the game allows you and in FFXIII case you can't even pick your own party until later on. FFX did away with the free roaming but still allowed some of the series' elements to remain, Final Fantasy no longer feels like an RPG adventure like the previous games did no story no matter how good would of got FFXIII a better reception as the gameplay approach that helped compliment previous game's stories isn't there. It may not seem like much but that world map mechanic provided a lot more to the games then people realize.

As for SE they've been sub-par this gen, I ain't going to hold no punches here Level 5 have been the better RPG developer by far and I'm glad Horii retains full control of the DQ series as he and his team obviously still have an idea of what made the previous games great and it's a master stroke having L5 help out in development, here's to DQX's now inevitable run to becoming the best console rpg of this gen when it's released and the DQ franchise once again becoming the best rpg of the gen following DQVIII and DQIX. Persona 5 won't be too bad either, SE's main consolation is that they'll be publishing these games in the west when they show up.


That heavily linear approach has been intrinsic to the series since it's beginning. The world maps really meant very little - look at the way VII was designed, after leaving Midgar you can go to Kalm or the Chocobo Ranch, and do the latter means nothing. You advance from there to Fort Condor which you can miss or Junon, from there to Costa del Sol, etc. A very linear series of towns. Yes, the game opens up later on, but so does FFXIII in Gran Pulse. The only difference is in one you get an airship and in XIII you can't revisit all your previous areas. Pulse is extremely nonlinear and free - and to be honest, is my least favourite part of the game. I think the linearity of the games does them a favour, too, it really helps with the pacing of the narrative. When you compare it to something like Oblivion or Fallout, you appreciate how much better the plot is for the linearity. The plot feels tacked on in those games, whereas in Final Fantasy the plot is arguably the most important thing. Final Fantasy XIII took this to an extreme, but I thought it was a good extreme. As I say, I think the plot would make very little sense if you had the freedom to do what you wanted in Cocoon. The thing is, for me, and a lot of other FF fans, the story is the most important thing. Square realise that, and so they went to efforts to make sure it was good in XIII. I think they succeeded.

I really do still think that Square still good, too, or at least, Square's Japanese franchises. And really, they haven't made most of their HD stuff in-house - at least two were from Tri-ace (Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4), Nier was from Cavia and FME was from Double Helix for some reason (and I still liked all of those except the last one, which I haven't played yet). Out of Final Fantasy, it was only really The Last Remnant. And I enjoyed that, on PC, even if the Xbox version wasn't necessarily great. On the Wii, it's been Crystal Chronicles, mostly, with a few DQ games, and that's all been pretty decent. And the portable games have been well-received, so no real complaints in that direction. I'm no fan of Square's western games, but then I was never a big fan of Eidos anyway, and again, most of those games have been well-received. That said, though, I've liked all of Level-5's RPGs, too, and I look very forward to Ni No Kuni, Inazuma Eleven and White Knight 2. I also look forward to the future of DQ, since I love the style of Akira Toriyama, and Persona 5 would be very much an insta-buy.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 67
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby lordirongut » 22 Nov 2010, 17:45

ste hicky wrote:all the characters come out of the build a jrpg handbook,have no depth and very little character development and with the odd exception annoyed the arse off me to a man/girl/boy/girlyboy(see hope). while i agree that X was linear it smoked XIII for depth and gameplay ideas. imo that shows how bad XIII really is at it's fundamental level: even X looks deep next to it.

the spells were decent,limit breaks,sub quests everywhere,auron (the last cool FF character),reasons to revisit a few odd places,decent summons and the odd vaguely heartfelt moment. i hated the voiceacting and the linearity of the map but there isn't a single scene in XIII that matches X's sending fmv and at the very least the team still kind of understood what made the franchise tick. maybe cos sakaguchi was still around in some capacity?

these days the games are shallow representations of a once worldclass franchise that captivated millions for over a decade. now people are losing interest and the sales are starting to slip along with the quality. even the die hards like me who could even pull a few redeemable points out of X-2 (the den of woe and that atb set up,the best in the series) and XII(the battle on the bridge with gilgamesh and learning how to chain quickenings) are looking elsewhere for a more authentic FF experience. LO and TLS,to name two. though you could say i've gone with the FF team.

XIII has more in common with cod and mass effect: too many narrow corridors,running forward,no exploration,shallow worlds,etc..

i don't mind it but as FF's go it's a pretender to the throne.

internal politics have cost square here,big time. i'd file them along with capcom as having a bit of an identity crisis and wada has to go for the sake of any talent still there.

lastly,i just can't look at FFXIII the same after playing lost odyssey,after about 20 minutes i realised that it had XIII beaten,hands down. XIII's just not that good and that's the standard that the series should be judged by. anything else is letting it off the hook imo.

maybe if XIII had jansen or sed (cid) in....


I thought that they had lots of character development - pretty much every cutscene was character development. For example, when Snow stayed back to chisel out Serah, a lot was revealed about him - his devotion to Serah, his bravery to risk capture by the Army and a slight selfish streak to abandon his friends as he did. Another example is where Hope's mother dies - he is shown to be very much broken and in despair, which drives his character for a lot of the story. X was very good, and I agree that it surpasses XIII, but for me, that's more to do with the battle system and music - I think the actual stories are on par, although I would say X had more high points, like the Sending and the Lake scene.

I really don't think that Auron was the last cool FF character, either. He wasn't even my favourite character in FFX (that would be Yuna). He was good, but I think that Basch and Ashe in XII and Lightning, Sazh and Fang were just as good in XIII. I'm not saying the game has the strongest cast in the series by any means, but I really think it had a strong one. I've always liked the spell and summon graphics - I've always been impressed by them, FFXIII was all the more breathtaking, imo since it was the first to be made in HD. Sakaguchi definitely left his mark on his games, and I don't think FF will be as good as when he was at his best, but to be honest, my order of FF preference has a lot of the games he worked on lower than XIII. I love all the FF series and I don't want anyone to think otherwise, but I, III, V and VIII are, imo, all worse overall than FFXIII, the first three in almost every respect and the gameplay half of VIII (the story was wonderful, though). Like I said before, though, I don't think they'll ever surpass IX, VI or VII. LO really is a better game than FFXIII, I won't argue with that, but LO is an incredibly high standard to set and I think that it'll go down as a classic. I don't think it's as good as Valkyria Chronicles, either, which I see as another future classic. But, FFXIII still surpasses just about everything else I can think of. It surpasses everything I've played in 2010 except for Valkyria 2, which it's a cat's whisker lower than. To even compare it to Valkyria 2 is a monumental compliment.

I also very much disagree that it is anything like Mass Effect or Call of Duty. If it was, I'd hate it! Mass Effect is another of those games which I would call too free... it was too free to have a coherent, entertaining plot. And it had much weaker combat and characters. Call of Duty... well they've just stopped putting effort into the single-player, haven't they? FFXIII is still Final Fantasy, with beautiful, imaginative environments, a strong story and a fun, strategic battle system.

I'm no fan of Yoichi Wada, either, but the very fact that he let FFXIII stay in development for so long and have such a large budget shows that he still cares about the quality of the series. If he didn't, then FFXIII would have been out in 2008, half as long with lots of bugs. He's no Bobby Kotick - FF doesn't come out yearly 'because it can' at an inflated price tag.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 67
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby ste hicky » 22 Nov 2010, 18:34

to be honest irongut,i had a similar thing with zelda a while ago. the only standard for that series is a link to the past and ocarina,anything else is failure. brutal,i know but i'll give credit only where i think it's due. i used to defend the zelda series til the cows come home because they're my favourites on the planet but even that won't save them if they're not AAA,gold standard with me unless they try something new in gameplay terms (see majora's mask's 72 hour system). same for the marios.

they may be better than 90% of games,even on an off day,but by the series standards all is not gold and the name on the box will never make me forget that man.

we've spoke about FF many a time,i'm not saying your wrong but i'm definitely saying we're sitting in different camps right now and there seems to be a divide in the FF community between the snes junkies like me and the playstation generation that just can't seem to be breached. for example: i'd take amano over nomura every day of the week and ito over kitase too. i'd take a well written,coherent plot over a game that was designed on the drawing board and only had a story added when the world was complete and needed a thread to tie the levels together. square admitted this themselves around the time they said cod4 influenced it's design and it shows man,it really does. to me at least.

that's where the cod,me comparisons come in for me: narrow corridors with little scope. looks great,little interaction.

as games they've gone backwards yet on the plus side the games look better than ever,tech has finally allowed square to catch up to the original vision,it's just that the vision's been lost. shame.

peace irongut,i'll still be there to see if they've still got it next time too but they're treading water with me now and better step up or they'll be ignored in future. i'm too old for loyalty,if the quality is there so am i.

not saying you should agree man,just sayin where i'm at with square these days.
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
User avatar
ste hicky 64
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 19:23
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby lordirongut » 22 Nov 2010, 21:33

I did come to Final Fantasy on the PS1 with FFVII, so maybe I don't see the SNES ones in the same light as you, but you're right, few things in recent memory have been as polarizing as FFXIII. I really see why XIII is as disliked as it is, even if I don't agree with it. I just get tired of hearing people say 'Hyuk Hyuk, FFXIII iz TEH SUCKZZZ trololololol' - I mean, at least you and Izo give reasons for not liking the game. To be honest, by tolerance threshold for JRPGs is very high. It has to be really, really bad for me to dislike it - the only example of that this gen has been Enchanted Arms, IMO.

The only thing I really disagree with in your last post is the 72-hour system in Majora's Mask! That thing just made me angry - my first attempt at that dungeon on the mountain - just outside the frakking boss room when time ran out :evil: .
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 67
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby Izo » 23 Nov 2010, 00:03

The HD era has really been a hard one for Jrpgs, I reckon if they stuck to the usual free roaming element in the series it would of averaged over 90 easily and possibly be seen the same as the PS1/Snes games, it had the story to carry it and the game was an improvement over previous game, the structure was just a huge change for people. They realize this because look how quickly Nomura told people Versus would have the usual FF traits, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it's taking so long is because they've overhauled and added them after the reception XIII has got, this may actually be the first gen where an FF spin off may end up with a better reception then a main series game. It's not really a case I don't like FFXIII but more a case I feel they've undershot the bar and not just by their own standards but in general.

Persona 5 and Dragon Quest X really can't turn up any sooner, DQ may first be reveal late next year but for Persona 5 we'll have to wait until Catherine is all done and dusted, I also hope they don't FES players again as that was a slap in the face for many, I was about to buy P3 when I heard about FES.
Image
Image
User avatar
Izo 71
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6581
Joined: 17 Mar 2007, 19:51
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: The Wyrdness
PSN ID: Wyrdness
Battle.net: Wii U: Wyrdness

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby ste hicky » 23 Nov 2010, 15:53

lordirongut wrote:The only thing I really disagree with in your last post is the 72-hour system in Majora's Mask! That thing just made me angry - my first attempt at that dungeon on the mountain - just outside the frakking boss room when time ran out :evil: .
y'didn't play the son of time backwards then to slow each day down to a more managable level?

it was a hidden tune along with the song of double time and the scarecrows song (which was your own).

i imagine the game would be nigh on impossible without those hidden tunes. i fluked it by messing the song of time up and everything slowed down. happy days.

imo,that was the last time nintendo were brave with the zelda series.
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
User avatar
ste hicky 64
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 19:23
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby lordirongut » 23 Nov 2010, 16:06

ste hicky wrote:
lordirongut wrote:The only thing I really disagree with in your last post is the 72-hour system in Majora's Mask! That thing just made me angry - my first attempt at that dungeon on the mountain - just outside the frakking boss room when time ran out :evil: .
y'didn't play the son of time backwards then to slow each day down to a more managable level?

it was a hidden tune along with the song of double time and the scarecrows song (which was your own).

i imagine the game would be nigh on impossible without those hidden tunes. i fluked it by messing the song of time up and everything slowed down. happy days.

imo,that was the last time nintendo were brave with the zelda series.


Well, it's easy to say that now! When I beat the game I had it on pretty much all the time, but that was my first attempt and it ended quite badly for the N64 controller.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 67
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby ste hicky » 23 Nov 2010, 16:21

lordirongut wrote:Well, it's easy to say that now! When I beat the game I had it on pretty much all the time, but that was my first attempt and it ended quite badly for the N64 controller.
yeah,it was brutal wasn't it?

it's one of the most rewarding systems i've ever come across though. i actually felt for the inhabitants of the world as one by one they slowly gave up,despite 3 days earlier being defiant and too proud. pretty dark stuff,considering it's a nintendo game.

the score depresses me everytime,in a good way too. the oath to order and song of healing are quite special.

i'd love nintendo to expand on the system in future. maybe make it over the course of a month and really run with it.
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
User avatar
ste hicky 64
 
Posts: 4289
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 19:23
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Crystal Defender: Final Fantasy XIII and XIV

Postby lordirongut » 23 Nov 2010, 16:41

As frustrating as it was, it was a good system. I liked how the town steadily got more empty as the days went by - that was a depressing feeling and it was great how they pulled it off. It's reputation as the darkest Zelda is well-deserved, from the shrill cry when Link transformed to the fact that it was the first in the series where you could kill an NPC. People say that TP had mature themes but I'd like them to try something as dark as MM again. They're making Skyward Sword in a more bright style again and while it looks awesome, I'd like them to balance that out with the next Zelda.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 67
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flash501 and 7 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]