to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Biggest Gripe about Games

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby User removed » 07 Mar 2006, 03:33

hy CVGers
I feel bad making my first post on the forum one that slanders video games, but this is the first thread on the list so here goes:

I dont like realisim getting in the way of computer games. I can think of many examples but since I've just finished playing Dark Cloud 2:

why must you need to repair weapons in Dark Cloud 1/2?
Instead of littering dungeon floors with too much repair power to hold in your inventory, let alone run out of the stuff,(all three different kinds of it) why dont they just have weapons not break and leave the whole process out?

emagine if final fantasy games had such time wasting nonsence?
Barret "Quick Cloud the reactor is set to blow"
Cloud "lets go!, whoops, my big sword has got stuch in this railing"
Better "I told you to oil it properly with weapon oil"
Cloud " I did, oh wait no, I think I forgot to spin around in a circle three times after killing that last monster"
Barret "no you did, I saw you do it"
Cloud " Wait! I know I forgot to equip my anti stupid nonsence materia"
Berret "you fool! we had loads in our inventory!"
Cloud "I know, but it's such a pain, it seems pointless having an Item in a game that is designed espically to do something that isin't really nessessary in the game at all"
Barret "your right!, oh s**t I forgot about the bomb, Jesse? how much time do we..."BOOM!
User removed

Postby User removed » 07 Mar 2006, 03:47

I also hate cheats in games

why have hours upon hours on unlockables in games only to design a cheat to unlock everything in a matter of moments.

picture it, you've just finished 3 years of work on side scrolling magic 'em up "streets of mage"

how many hours of game play? "about 50, but since we've put the cheat in you can beat everything without a chance of losing in about 20 minutes"

I hate s**t, milked to death sequals (tomb raiders, Suikoden3/4, and most titles by capcom)
if your going to make a sequal MAKE IT PROPERLY!!!
User removed

Postby cjw101 » 07 Mar 2006, 11:48

aurongroove wrote:I also hate cheats in games

why have hours upon hours on unlockables in games only to design a cheat to unlock everything in a matter of moments.

picture it, you've just finished 3 years of work on side scrolling magic 'em up "streets of mage"

how many hours of game play? "about 50, but since we've put the cheat in you can beat everything without a chance of losing in about 20 minutes"

So that during the game's development, testers can make sure stuff works without having to spend days on end playing through the game to get to that level / get that equipment / whatever... :wink:
cjw101 72

Postby alberthammond » 07 Mar 2006, 12:18

Being "injured" by the tiniest of ickle spiders that really you should not even notice yourself treading on. b*****ks
alberthammond 49

Postby rjcanty » 07 Mar 2006, 15:15

alberthammond wrote:Being "injured" by the tiniest of ickle spiders that really you should not even notice yourself treading on. fruit pastilles

What game/s is that?
rjcanty 62

Postby tenshi_a » 07 Mar 2006, 17:28

Any game that gets you to try and kill small insects with a gun. Granted the bullets are normally bigger than the insects, but a large mallet would have been so much more fun.

Also, bad voice acting. You'd think if they're spending a million on making a game, they could afford decent acting talent.
tenshi_a 35

Postby keyser7 » 07 Mar 2006, 21:17

unskippable cut scenes are a pain in games especially when you are replaying levels eg the getaway and theres a ten miute cut scene, f - off.

not being able to save at any point is definitely a bad one. some of us do have other things to do you know games developers..

games which dont show you how to play as you go along, so instead you have to read the boring manual.

games where your character cant negotiate a tiny little fence about half their size or even step up a small mound of grass, so you have run miles round it or get to the point where they are able to traverse the terrain.

auto targetting that targets the wrong thing or person. yes thats right gta theres a bad guy shooting me, but i want to shoot the old lady across the road first of course.

not being able to move or strafe when firing in third person action games. yes ill just stand here as you shoot me and ill shoot you back and we will see whose energy runs out first, what a test of skill.
keyser7 55

Postby User removed » 08 Mar 2006, 02:22

The're not in alot of video games anymore, but:

Dungeons where if you fall once in a 5 or 10 minute series of near impossible jumps you end up back at the front door (tomb raider & Soul Reaver for example) when you mis time one jump by a fraction of a second and you gotta start the level again.
they also have a habit of putting the hardest jump last.

--
Overly strict Item limits (espically in rpg's) im not talking about your alone in the dark & Res evil types, what items you bring with you are a matter of skill, but in games like Dark Cloud 2, Grandia1 etc where players carry far more items than realisticly possibly anyways.
I'm aloud carry 20 bombs, but 23 would be unrealistic....
or i cam carry 16 Long swords one in each slot but 20 potions wouldnt work.... :roll:
again, learning from FF give a max of 99 for each item, and a item bank large enough to accomodate anything you pick up,

or better yet, if you want each player to carry a "realistic" amout of items, set up some sort of banking system in towns and villages for a place to put exess stuff, we don't need but don't want to sell.(which leads neatly to my last gripe)

--
Another RPG terror, when rare items sell for 1 gil/gp/gilda/zenny whatever your currency
"sorry pal, I know you cant hold any more items, but Im only going to give you 1 pence for your super ultima thunder bolt Super sword "
User removed

Postby Cal40k » 08 Mar 2006, 17:24

Beat-em-up games with dodgy difficulty jumps are a new one for me.
Noticed when I was playing Soul Calibur 2 that I can go through arcade mode pretty much with my eyes closed, except for one fight. First few opponents are easy, as are the last but the 3rd or 4th always wipes the floor with me no matter what the difficulty is.
I'm convinced it's just trying to keep me out of the high score table. Completed it with every character and only got in once.

In my quest for disk space I just noticed how annoying big games are, especially ones with decent mods. My Half-life folder's taking up a rather obscene 16.5GB from all the mods I might play sometime, plus the non-steam install of HL1 for quick LAN games (which I've done maybe twice in over a year).
Can't see myself playing any of them anytime soon but it'll be too much hassle re-installing HL2 next time I fancy mucking about in garrysmod.
Say no to vandalism,
or I'll tan yer windaes.
Cal40k 52

Postby User removed » 08 Mar 2006, 21:13

My Half-life folder's taking up a rather obscene 16.5GB
lord have mercy!!!
and I was giving out to my sis for having the sims on this pc,
User removed

Postby rjcanty » 08 Mar 2006, 22:41

My Limewire folder is up to 68.7GB. :cry:

*Measure e-penis*

That's an extra inch or so.
rjcanty 62

Postby DiddyKong_Jr » 08 Mar 2006, 23:05

Someones said it before, but bad camera angles are a pain.
Apart from that, it's really bad game glitches I hate, I know some of these are just accidently looked over but when you get a game filled with bugs, it takes the enjoyment out of it.

For example, Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness.
You'd be sneaking along a wall, the camera angle flips and you're suddenly inside Lara's head, looking at the inside of her eyes and mouth, and let me tell you something, that's scary.
Sometimes you'd be runing along, go for a jump, and the camera angle would flip and you'd miss.

Worst one I can remeber from this game though was when you died. Lara gets shot/falls into a pit/gets spiked/blows up/gets bit by a dog. And here comes the death scream. She's dead, the scream continues.
The loading screen comes up, and Lara is still screaming.

Couple that with the inside of her head and it'd give you nightmares.

Oh, and someone mentioned standing on a little bug and getting hurt. This was in Metal Gear Solid 3. When you're running about underneath Groznyj Grad in the cells, you'd turn a corner and you'd suddenly lurch forward and become poisoned. Turns out on the floor, there's a spider that's extremely poisonous.

He's a handy little bugger though, tranquilize him and throw him at guards. :wink:
Wrathy: I like it Hawaiian
this is where I twit, this is where I tumbl
DiddyKong_Jr 69

Xbox Live: Diddy40
PSN ID: Diddy40

Postby Chris_Eals » 11 Mar 2006, 14:38

The single biggest thing that annoys me about gaming at the moment is the number of needless generic updates of games that are releasedevery year, like the Fifa games, although since they now have 'Street' they're getting at least two guaranteed chart toppers a year.

Similar to that, I hate the way some popular and good game franchises are used to sell a variety of games and demean the franchise as a whole *glares at Nintendo*.
Chris_Eals 44

Previous