Biggest Gripe about Games

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby csdaveuk » 06 Mar 2006, 10:29

I'm a sodding lvl 41 Beserker who has toppled orcs, gnolls, trolls, skeletons, monstrous spiders, giants and demons. Yet, here I am, running in terror from a deer!?
csdaveuk 64

Xbox Live: csdaveuk
Steam: Giant Haystacks
Battle.net: csdaveuk
xFire: csdaveuk

Re: Biggest Gripe about Games

Postby SPMcCall » 06 Mar 2006, 15:56

seamonkey10 wrote:Right now, I'm taking a break from Destroy All Humans

It's one of those games where you can "buy" upgades to your character. I need an upgrade for this next level, but I don't have enough "DNA" which is like cash. So I've spent hours running the same missions over and over again to get enough for the upgrade. It's like work. It's Saturday and instead of working on a project at work, I'm doing repetative activities for hours to "buy" a virtual something. Come on developers, I bouth this game to be fun, not to put my nose to the grindstone.

Anybody else? What bugs you about games?

Bad camera angles! Really winds me up when you have to fight against the camera just to play the game. Practically ruined Devil May Cry for me. Was quite interested in Shadow of the Colossus but keep reading about it having a bad camera so doubt I'll get it.
SPMcCall 51

Postby csdaveuk » 06 Mar 2006, 17:26

SoC is a beautiful game but after falling off for the tenth time, I realised what it reminded me of - Nebulus. I also remembered nearly being in tears with frustration when playing that, so I cut my losses and reinstalled Gothic instead.
csdaveuk 64

Xbox Live: csdaveuk
Steam: Giant Haystacks
Battle.net: csdaveuk
xFire: csdaveuk

Postby Zigzagoon » 06 Mar 2006, 17:55

I have to agree with illphukir's point about Doom 3, I am sorry but it is s**t. You cannot carry a torch as well as a gun and it is frustrating to have absolutely no visibility at all without a torch. You should at least have basic visibility without a torch, the complete darkness does nothing to scare me, it merely p**ses me right off. I also thought the enemies were gay, maybe I should give it more of a chance but the first couple of levels were rubbish. Doom 2 is a hell of a lot better.

As for Halo 2, I do genuinely hate it, the single player is so pathetic, everything is bad. The Master Chief looks like a character from a s**t kid's robot cartoon and the weapons are crap. In my opinion the enemy design is some of the worst I have ever seen! The Covenant aliens look so crap it is untrue, the little soldiers are like something from a Disney film, about as menacing as Dale Winton. I don't like the level designs or the vehicles, they are rubbish to control and everything about them is wrong. The multiplayer is also the biggest pile of bad awful rubbish ever to be conceived by a special needs child, no bots? Which moron thought of that idea?

Perfect Dark (N64) is so much better in every single department aside from graphics and music, which are undisputedly very good in Halo 2, the music in particular is excellent. But the multiplayer in Perfect Dark is what made it shine and I stand by multiplayer with other people with you being a million times better than any online game ever.
Zigzagoon 65

Xbox Live: Osafune2
PSN ID: Osafune2

Postby renegade_angel » 06 Mar 2006, 17:58

And the fact that Perfect Dark was slow as f**k in multiplayer with bots is a point you failed to make.
Gamertag: PacDan
renegade_angel 65

Postby Zigzagoon » 06 Mar 2006, 18:03

I never really noticed much except when I played against eight bots, one or two Dark Sims were my usual opposition.
Zigzagoon 65

Xbox Live: Osafune2
PSN ID: Osafune2

Postby Crow555 » 06 Mar 2006, 18:26

It's a bit of an obvious one but crappy AI. So many games create such wonderful AI and make it a joy to play over and over again. The marines in Half Life for example. Those guys were scary.

On the other side of the coin is the typical monster enemy who'll come running but stop and star at you cos there is a stone or small fence between you both. But the most irritating was when I was playing GT4 yesterday. Fair enough, I can understand if for example the AI hit me because it didn't see me but to spin and end up on the racing line in a straight and then be hit by EVERY FRICKIN ONE OF THE AI CARS as they drive past is just unrealistic.

I think the only thing worse that AI enemy however is AI squad mates. The squad system in Half Life 2 speaks volumes here. I don't think any more need be said.
Crow555 64

Xbox Live: Crow555
PSN ID: Crow_555

Postby tenshi_a » 06 Mar 2006, 18:26

* dull, repetitive linear play
* ridiculous loading times
* gameplay ruined because of jerkiness (which may be because it's loading!)
* climactic final battle on automatic invincible mode (FF-X)
* downright rude ungrateful NPCs (e.g. everyone in Animal Crossing)
* so dark you can't see anything unless you close the curtains and turn the brightness up (shouldn't need to)
* godawful music that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves
* bad camera angles. It's harsh being killed by a camera angle.
tenshi_a 35

Postby G_Man_007 » 06 Mar 2006, 18:48

leeb1977 wrote:
G_Man_007 wrote:
Ady_M wrote:I hate it when you complete a game and you unlock a 'harder' difficulty level.
If I've spent ages completing a game, why the f*ck would I want to go through it again and get stressed out more?
In the case of Max Payne, so I can have more of a challenge, and so I can play it again...

The dead on arrival mode you talk about on the max payne games was a master stroke imo.

also - after playing max payne the one thing that REALLY annoys me in most games since is the lack of ability to save at any point in the game.

The fact that in the max payne games you couls save anywhere was just brilliant. Theres nothing worse than games with no close checkpoints where if you die towards the end of a level you have to go back and do the whole thing over again eg: Black
I really hope we get more, especially after the huge improving triumph that was MP2. MP was classic; MP2 was so much better.
PCZ/CVG Licence holder
------------
I've got a British word for you - Shitehawk.

"Bite my Beetroot! That is fantastic!"

"My Lincoln Sense is tingling!!"
G_Man_007 73

Postby G_Man_007 » 06 Mar 2006, 19:04

Zigzagoon wrote:I have to agree with illphukir's point about Doom 3, I am sorry but it is muffin. You cannot carry a torch as well as a gun and it is frustrating to have absolutely no visibility at all without a torch. You should at least have basic visibility without a torch, the complete darkness does nothing to scare me, it merely p**ses me right off.
Ain't you hard? Doom 3 may not have been superb, but it had atmosphere, and my sphincter has never so many different sizes... (Well, apart from that time with Undying in the Catacombs...)
PCZ/CVG Licence holder
------------

G_Man_007 73

Postby liquid_metal » 06 Mar 2006, 19:56

Download the sound files the leaked alpha used (the guns sound much more like guns, and the rubbish pea shooter noise of the pistol is replaced with a meaty BANG), download a gaffer tape mod (it sticks a flashlight to a few, or all of your guns depending on which mod you get) and Doom 3 is a much better game.
Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her... Soldiers Fire!
liquid_metal 62

Postby G_Man_007 » 06 Mar 2006, 20:13

liquid_metal wrote:Download the sound files the leaked alpha used (the guns sound much more like guns, and the rubbish pea shooter noise of the pistol is replaced with a meaty BANG), download a gaffer tape mod (it sticks a flashlight to a few, or all of your guns depending on which mod you get) and Doom 3 is a much better game.
Ooo, got a link on that alpha sounds thingy...?
PCZ/CVG Licence holder
------------

G_Man_007 73

Postby liquid_metal » 06 Mar 2006, 20:37

Here you go! As it was meant to be heard.

This sound pack replaces some monster sounds and some weapon sounds with the original Doom 3 sounds by Trent Reznor of NIN.
Were you dissapointed by the lackluster sounds of Doom 3? Do you want your pistol not to sound like a Nerf air gun? Wish the enemies made sounds that could actually scare someone? Long for the far superior sounds by Trent Reznor? Well look no further, for here they are! This mod changes the sounds for the imp, the pinky, the zombie, the fat zombie, the zombie commando, the hell knight, the pistol, the shotgun, the machine gun, the chaingun, the player, that's it!
Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her... Soldiers Fire!
liquid_metal 62

Postby G_Man_007 » 06 Mar 2006, 20:57

Ta.
PCZ/CVG Licence holder
------------

G_Man_007 73

Postby Andy_Monahan » 07 Mar 2006, 02:57

While we are discussing lights in games - what about FPS games which have lights/torches which only last for a few seconds ? And then recharge..
Andy_Monahan 53

PreviousNext