Work Experience

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Work Experience

Postby beanoboy300 » 03 Mar 2010, 17:51

Hey all

I have to do my work experience soon and I was just wondering if anyone knew any games companys that did work experience in the U.K???

psn id: beanoboy300

Everybody fails but me :)
beanoboy300 23

Postby lwill » 03 Mar 2010, 18:01

Game are very difficult to get into, as you usually have to contact their HQ to do it.

I did a week at The Sony Centre and a week at Zavvi (Zavvi obviously are closed down now). The Sony Centre was amazing, but, I think it'll totally depend on the staff working there, seeing as it's a franchise.

Ok, so neither are technically game companies, but, I wouldn't advise working somewhere like game/game station - besides, they're not easy to get into anyway, mostly because there's little you can help with, I'd assume.
lwill 61

PSN ID: overkillhunter

Postby beanoboy300 » 03 Mar 2010, 19:40

I have tried contacting loads of games company's and they say because of high levels of confidentiality they can't. I asked SCEE and they said they did do work experience but they were full :( My dad works for sony and he can't get me a place either :(

I wonder if PSM3 would let me do work experience???

beanoboy300 23

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 03 Mar 2010, 19:47

You might not have much to say about it when you get back to school.

"I played PES and made coffee"

Which is more than I f**king did, I followed an alternate universe James May around and looked at some houses.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby i-am-from-space » 03 Mar 2010, 20:02

i worked at a garage as assistant mechanic, it was horrible. standing up all day, not having much to do. :?

playing pes and drinking coffee sounds like fun. :D
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

http://www.last.fm/user/stress_mess
i-am-from-space 45

Postby zozobra » 03 Mar 2010, 20:59

Architect FTW.

The odds of you getting work experience at a games company is pretty much nill.
zozobra 63

PSN ID: zombiebreath1985

Postby frankthepieking » 04 Mar 2010, 00:48

beanoboy300 wrote:I have tried contacting loads of games company's and they say because of high levels of confidentiality they can't. I asked SCEE and they said they did do work experience but they were full :( My dad works for sony and he can't get me a place either :(

I wonder if PSM3 would let me do work experience???

Been there, tried that, got the rejection letter.

Well, I tried future, and they're s**t for services, and PSM3 just didn't contact me, so, good luck. I'd envy you if you got in though.
frankthepieking 46

Postby Multiplayerking » 04 Mar 2010, 08:39

I worked as a teacher in my old primary school the other month, and next week I'll be working in a pharmacy. Only thing I could find!
Hey
Multiplayerking 70

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby gypscanuck » 04 Mar 2010, 21:23

Really does depend on your educational status. If you got some years done on tech, it could help on our resume by a lot into the games industry, it worked for my cousin and he works on MMO's in Korea, though I'm not sure how it really works in UK. Start off as a game tester, do some tech classes, and you will be getting some where. :D
gypscanuck 46

Xbox Live: Nefurnest
PSN ID: Nefurnest
Steam: Nefurnest
Battle.net: Nefurnest
xFire: Nefurnest

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 04 Mar 2010, 22:18

Multiplayerking wrote:I worked as a teacher in my old primary school the other month, and next week I'll be working in a pharmacy. Only thing I could find!

Who would trust you with medications?
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby beanoboy300 » 05 Mar 2010, 08:29

I must off sent about 20 emails to different games places and all i get is either 1) No sorry 2) we're full or 3) We dont do work experience.

It is very frustrating. Ah well. Mbe I'll go work with my uncle for a week up in Durham.

beanoboy300 23

Postby Multiplayerking » 05 Mar 2010, 08:41

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:
Multiplayerking wrote:I worked as a teacher in my old primary school the other month, and next week I'll be working in a pharmacy. Only thing I could find!

Who would trust you with medications?

I'll be dealing with the accounting, not selling poisin.
Hey
Multiplayerking 70

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby greg11 » 06 Mar 2010, 13:49

I went to sony thanks to my auntie working for them yay! :D it is difficult... and you have to sign a non-disclosure so if your a motor-mouth you got no chance
PSN= madzy007
greg11 55

Postby lwill » 06 Mar 2010, 14:05

Try going to the stores in person. That worked for me, in both Zavvi and The Sony Centre.

The Sony Centre being a franchise will probably have a different answer for every store. If the manager is half decent and has a fair amount of trust, he should let you on board, without even an interview.

Honestly, my week at The Sony Centre was really great. I know it's not strictly a games shop. I didn't really have to do much, it was rare they asked me to do anything, I mostly just stood and chatted most of the day. I still got to do the odd delivery/installation of T.V's - with the help of a full - time member of staff, of course. I guess that was kind of cool, in a weird way.

Besides, it's far harder for people to turn you down if you turn up in person. I still got turned down loads, but, it didn't take me TOO long.
lwill 61

PSN ID: overkillhunter

Re: Work Experience

Postby KJ_TWIST » 14 Jan 2013, 19:50

Lionhead run a really good work experience for 14+ years old its for 1 week but is in surrey so can be a little hard to get to if you dont live in the air but its definitely worth a look
KJ_TWIST 2
New user