to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Gaming Today

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Gaming Today

Postby gypscanuck » 01 May 2011, 16:03

Crysis 2 and Mirror's Edge have been soaking up my time.

Crysis is really amazing technincally, gameplay-wise, graphicaly, and there's even a proper story to sting it all together. ON superhuman, AI is really good, using stealth to find options to flank, buildings collapse in realtime, really open gameplay, anything can be picked up, GODLY.
gypscanuck 46

Xbox Live: Nefurnest
PSN ID: Nefurnest
Steam: Nefurnest
Battle.net: Nefurnest
xFire: Nefurnest

Postby The Bossman » 02 May 2011, 16:55

No don't play Spaceman Doug to a sniper duel, he knows all the hiding spots the jammy sod.

OT I've been hammering Dynasty Warriors 7, FIFA 11 and COD Black Ops bot multiplayer recently. Also playing Enslaved and other games, but stuck on a point where I can't even see where to go next, useless camera angle.
The Bossman 44

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby StokedUp » 04 May 2011, 19:39

currently playing PERSONA 3 on the PSP and really enjoying it. It was one of the best RPGs on the ps2 and i really hope that we get a Persona 5 on the PS3.
StokedUp 54

PSN ID: stokesy

Postby mitch91 » 19 May 2011, 18:41

Playing a lot of Bioshock recently. I should've got this game when it first came out cos its exactly what I've been looking for- an intelligent non-military shooter with a good story and atmosphere. Hurrah.
C/P: GTA IV Episodes; Crysis 2
mitch91 55

PSN ID: msuk

Postby mitch91 » 29 May 2011, 13:58

Completed Bioshock the other day, all in all a brilliant game, although the ending (the 'good' one) wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be. The twist halfway through was great though.

I've now got God of War I, II & III to play through, as well as Crysis 2. f**k exams.
mitch91 55

Postby Scotch expert » 11 Jun 2011, 22:54

Just so you lot know, Duke Nukem Forever is s**t. Don't bother with it.
Are you with me Dr. Wu
Or are you really just a shadow of the man that I once knew?
Are you crazy?
Are you high?
Are you just an ordinary guy?
Have you done all you can do?
Scotch expert 68

Postby Boss89 » 12 Jun 2011, 14:14

Scotch expert wrote:Just so you lot know, Duke Nukem Forever is s**t. Don't bother with it.

is it????awwwwwwww no
Playing:Uncharted 2,Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battlecars

Cant wait for:Uncharted 3, Battlefield3, MGS HD (MGS REMAKE FOR 25th Anniversary?????)
Boss89 37

PSN ID: BossDooley

Postby treesmurf 11 » 15 Jun 2011, 00:48

I thought it would be, luckily I never played Duke Nukem in the past and so it has zero appeal to me.
My Twitterings
3DS Friend code: 3866-8000-9437
treesmurf 11 69

PSN ID: treesmurf11
Wii Code: 3916 3672 8458 8486
Steam: treesmurf11

Postby mitch91 » 15 Jun 2011, 23:11

Finished God of War III today as with it the trilogy. Thoroughly enjoyed all three, especially seeing as its a genre I've never really played much of before- possibly the best games series I've played.
mitch91 55

Postby zozobra » 16 Jun 2011, 10:10

Played the original Duke Nukem games and I have no interest in playing the new one. Also, I just have to say that I thought God of War 3 was awful, an insult to the brilliant original two games.
zozobra 63

PSN ID: zombiebreath1985

Postby mitch91 » 16 Jun 2011, 16:15

zozobra wrote:Also, I just have to say that I thought God of War 3 was awful, an insult to the brilliant original two games.

Really? Care to explain?
mitch91 55

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 16 Jun 2011, 16:45

I enjoyed GoW 3 a little, the problem for me was it wasn't as difficult as the first two and it felt completely muddled as you went a long. The first two made you feel like you were progressing through the story by taking on difficult greek beast after even more difficult greek beasts in areas greatly influenced from Jason and The Argonauts. The third however felt disjointed. As though each section of the game was just made up of unused sections of the first and second game, which ended up making it feel like you were playing through different challenge rooms rather than the actual single player story areas.

Duke Nukem. Randy Pitchford was clearly trying to sell a dead corpse with this. Over 12 years of development and people, after seeing the game change so much over the years, thought it perhaps was going to be great. After looking back at early footage of the game I think it looked better then than it does now. It felt like something you would have fun with back in the PS2 days but what do we get now? An obviously badly ported PC game. If you are going to get some if at all any enjoyment out of the game, I would tell you to play the PC version. It eliminates all technical issues with the game. The console versions probably are some of the most ugliest and glitchiest games out today. Loading times which can take up to one whole minute accompanied by some of the most repetitive music annoying you each time the game loads up after you have died due to one of the games many issues, is one thing you will quickly grow frustrated with. Textures and models look like an original xbox game which has been soaked in oil. I understand the anti-aliasing cannot be as good as a PC game when it comes to consoles but this looks as though you could literally cheese grate your own eyeballs if you so much as looked at the game for more than five minutes.

Gameplay is nothing special. The aiming and bullet collision is just flawed entirely. When a shotgun is shot, you expect at least some of the spread to hit outside of the crosshair, but with this game you will never hit an enemy unless the crosshair is red. Doesn't seem like something major at first but when you're being stormed by dual weilding insane pigcops and you aren't hitting them based on the fact your crosshair isn't directly in the middle of their body or head, it frustrates. Obviously the game itself is still using the same game engine as seen in Prey but that game was solid. The gunplay was nicely finished upon release. Here the game just feels unfinished. Can't forget about those unoriginal turret sections either. Overall gameplay wise it's nothing new. There are no new gameplay mechanics which make this feel any different to a game from five years ago. At times it ends up feeling like you're just being bottle necked into going in small areas where you need to kill the next wave of enemies to actually continue.

Humour was always going to be the main thing in this game but what should be a nod to a classic shooter character just ends up feeling as though a has been movie star is trying to reclaim his fame by treating women as though they're a living sex doll. Sure I sound like an extreme feminist but the sexual humour in this feels childish even by 90's standards. Slapping alien wall boobies, alien bosses with three breasts, and Duke Nukem himself just sounding like an annoying asshole who you want to kill as soon as possible. Which is saying something as I still enjoy the original game to this day. I can't help but feel that the creators of the original Duke, have themselves gotten their own video game character completely wrong. Jon St. John himself even sounds as though he can't keep in character anymore as on more than one occasion Duke doesn't even sound like Duke. Pushed down and back by a monster, it's as though he squeals the word, "s**t", in some very unmanly way. There are times when the humour works such as when you use a Dukebot which will muddle up Duke's one liners due to bad wiring but these moments are few and far between. The rest has subtle jokes to Leroy Jenkins of Warcraft fame and a little nod to Halo which ends up making you feel as though Gearbox have no room to make fun of another with a game like this.

The game sure has drawn a lot of attention from people saying it is either a p**s poor game or that it's excuse is it's supposed to be a nod to the old days of gaming but when you think of old school gaming, you don't want the technical f**k ups to come along with it. There is no excuse for a game this much of a shoddy mess to be released by a company like Gearbox. The only thing they have been doing the last little year with the game is adding a pointless multiplayer mode which will no doubt go down the crapper in the next month or so. As for people claiming everyone who hates the game is a gullible twit who goes off any scathing review, utter b*****ks. Maybe, just maybe people expect a competent game in this day and age. Those dismissing haters are just as bad as any person who would dismiss something just because someone else told them. If you get the game, get it on PC, then turn your brain down. Otherwise grabbing a turd from the s**tter and flinging it at the wall will get old in around 12-30 seconds.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby zozobra » 17 Jun 2011, 11:00

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I enjoyed GoW 3 a little, the problem for me was it wasn't as difficult as the first two and it felt completely muddled as you went a long. The first two made you feel like you were progressing through the story by taking on difficult greek beast after even more difficult greek beasts in areas greatly influenced from Jason and The Argonauts. The third however felt disjointed. As though each section of the game was just made up of unused sections of the first and second game, which ended up making it feel like you were playing through different challenge rooms rather than the actual single player story areas.

That's pretty much spot on, the only difference is I enjoyed it less.
zozobra 63

PSN ID: zombiebreath1985

Postby mitch91 » 17 Jun 2011, 18:46

Hmm, I agree that it did feel disjointed at times eg flying up and down that bloody chain several times, but it obviously didn't bother me that much.

Playing Crysis 2 now, still waiting for it to get going.
mitch91 55

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 17 Jun 2011, 20:37

You'll be waiting the whole game.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

PreviousNext