to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Last game you completed and rating...

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Last game you completed and rating...

Postby zozobra » 02 Jun 2011, 11:09

Multiplayerking wrote:
zozobra wrote:Portal was amazing? Really, well, I beg to differ.

Why didn't you like it?

Well, the gameplay mechanic was the only good thing about it. I know that might sound ridiculous, as if you want one thing about a game to work its that. Nevertheless the mechanic of the portal gun might have been good but the game didn't implement it that well as when it comes down to it, the game thrives on trial and error which is possibly the worst thing a game could be. Annoying, basically. On top of that, it completely lacked the drive to motivate you towards completing it, you only continue because you started. The same for the atmosphere, the game doesn't have one its dead, cold, and ultimately boring. Nowhere near as funny as people think it is either. On top of everything else though, it feels more like a tech demo than a game.
zozobra 63

PSN ID: zombiebreath1985

Postby gypscanuck » 02 Jun 2011, 21:21

Crysis 2-Plays amazing, story is a bit abrupt, set-pieces are good, 9/10
gypscanuck 46

Xbox Live: Nefurnest
PSN ID: Nefurnest
Steam: Nefurnest
Battle.net: Nefurnest
xFire: Nefurnest

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 02 Jun 2011, 23:41

My feelings on Portal are pretty much the same as you Zoz and to me the sequel doesn't go very far to make me change my mind. It becomes more apparent with the properly added story that it's just once again a one note tech demo. You begin realising early on that there could be so much more you could be doing other than jumping and shooting portals. I enjoy it though as long as I turn my brain down a few notches to simple entertainment. After having completed the second I came away from it even less impressed than I did with the first. Maybe it's because it feels like the games been done before or more than likely it just feels like a tech demo with as much squeezed out of it as possible. It's just something to me that makes you feel like you've done it but you don't come away feeling mightily impressed to the point you will remember it fondly. I'll just think back on it as "that game with Stephen Merchant".
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Resident Vegas » 18 Jun 2011, 23:04

I'll get Portal 2 just to check it out, and hope its good, although the reviews seem to be mixed alot. Just finished Killzone 3 and it was really good, and I enjoyed it alot. Some nice vehicle levels, air assaults and snow mobiles which were cool. Story is very good.
Resident Vegas 19

Postby Barca Azul » 22 Jul 2011, 09:19

Its a bit old now, but Heavy Rain, Id give it 92%. Its so different to other games and a go 100% reat storey and well thought out. I plated it to 100% I enjoyed it so much. It deserves the awards it got. I guess its not everyone cup of tea, but a refreshing game in a FPS frenzy world we have currently.
Barca Azul 61

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 02 Aug 2011, 02:10

Just completed Splinter Cell 1 on pc after dealing with an annoying drivers issue. Certain light sources in the game don't show the actual light in the right way as they're supposed to. In other words, a spotlight's light won't display at all, making the abattoir level almost impossible to get through without being seen. I'll be skipping to Chaos Theory as Pandora Tomorrow is even worse with the light problem.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

Postby frankthepieking » 28 Sep 2011, 22:59

Got a new PS3 at last, and with it Portal 2 and Infamous 2. Finished Infamous 2 on both good and evil karma surprisingly quickly considering I only need the UGC trophies to platinum it. That said, it was pretty enjoyable and the missions were just varied enough to keep most of them fresh. MILD SPOILER also, fighting against weak conduits regularly was a nice touch, even if they didn't really use their powers actually on you SPOILER ENDS.

Just started Portal 2 and I am enjoying it so far, I seem to have taken to it better than I did the first, though I have only just started it. Also finding it funnier (to my memory) GLaDOS's vengeful remarks are brilliant, and it's pretty important in that kind of game because (as discussed) it is a tad demo-like.
frankthepieking 46

Postby Funkymonk » 10 Oct 2011, 16:00

[/quote]Well, the gameplay mechanic was the only good thing about it. I know that might sound ridiculous, as if you want one thing about a game to work its that. Nevertheless the mechanic of the portal gun might have been good but the game didn't implement it that well as when it comes down to it, the game thrives on trial and error which is possibly the worst thing a game could be. Annoying, basically. On top of that, it completely lacked the drive to motivate you towards completing it, you only continue because you started. The same for the atmosphere, the game doesn't have one its dead, cold, and ultimately boring. Nowhere near as funny as people think it is either. On top of everything else though, it feels more like a tech demo than a game.[/quote]

I respect everyones opinion as long as its constructive and if you don't get Portals humor or found the atmosphere boring then thats fine, many would disagree but everyone to their own. However, i feel you've missed the point when it comes to the gameplay; The puzzles are all logical and anything but trial and error and if you are just shooting portals randomly at walls in the hope you may stumble across a solution then it's little wonder you didn't enjoy it.

Anyway, last game i played then. Just finished Deus Ex. 9/10.
Funkymonk 31

Postby Keyran-Solo » 17 Oct 2011, 23:15

I recently completed Resistance 3 on normal difficulty, then Superhuman because I'm a big Trophy whore, no not really I genuinely enjoy playing the Resistance games on Superhuman, there's something satisfying when you actually do it. I won't spoil anything but the story is very different to past Resistance games, which can be considered a good or bad thing depending on your own opinion but I did like the different pace of story and gameplay as opposed to previous games in the series. The ending to the game is highly disappointing because it lacks the climax that Resistance 1 and 2 offered at the end but it ends on a good note (is this a good or bad thing?) so I guess if you're the kind of person who is a sucker for happy endings, you will enjoy the ending to Resistance 3 but I felt dissapointed because I wanted something more after all that hard work ripping into Chimeran forces. Still, an absolute gem of a game and definitely worth buying, if not renting for a weekend.

General score: 9/10
Currently Playing

PS3
    Sonic Generations
    Rage

Xbox 360

Halo: Reach (Multiplayer-only)
Keyran-Solo 16

Xbox Live: II KeYraN II
PSN ID: Keyran-Solo

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 22 Oct 2011, 20:53

Just completed Arkham City. Could have had a much better ending. My gripes with the game are, funnily enough, pretty much the same gripes I had with the first game. There's little variation in stealth again. It ends up boiling down to gargoyle>takedown>gargoyle>takedown just like Asylum. Sure you're given a multitude of gadgets that you can upgrade but when the AI of the enemy is set to basically go around on a patrol route, stand gormlessly under gargoyles, and automatically home in on whoever was taken out last, it doesn't leave much room for you to experiment. You end up just going the easiest way possible, made slightly aggravating, when you have to wait for enemies to inspect their fallen comrade, then go off on their way again for you to take them out. It wouldn't feel so annoying if there were new ways to take out people but there aren't. You're back to inverted takedowns, wall explosions (which you can't even rip down with the grapple anymore as far as I have seen), ledge takedowns, silent takedowns. It's just more of the same.

Hand to hand combat and activities are the only thing here that have been built upon from the first game and even with the latter it ends up falling into that uncomfortable repeated side quests deal that a lot of free form games end up as. The Riddler's quests are more original and are an example of what the random side s**t could have been if more attention had been put on them. Interrogations I remember in previews being talked about. I expected old Bats to be physically threatening people for inside information and goons to be literally letting you know stuff. What did I get? Batman makes one threat, the goon says "I'll tell you!", and suddenly a location is marked on your map. He doesn't tell you a street name or a basic location, he's just a pointless extra with no detail. It wouldn't be so bad if what he had to say was in some way interesting or at least detailed, especially when you have to make sure to leave them til last in a large fist fight. Sure it's just a tiny thing but detail would have been nice there.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. Short but I enjoyed it. Is it an amazing game that kicks the hell out of the competition? What competition? There is no competition. It's a good game yes, but far from the fantastically amazing game that a lot of people are saying it is. It's just a really good game that sadly suffers form the same problems that I had with the first game. They took a really good Batman game that had moments of repetition thanks to their not being much else to do, and shoved in some random side s**t in the form of "do 3 of these, collect 6 of those" side missions. I would have gladly liked the side villains to be fleshed out more and less of the samey free roaming generic side quests bullshit. As for the map, five times bigger is a gross exaggeration. More like the amount of things you can do is five times bigger.

I most likely sound as though I'm being far too hard on the game but there are just so many things with the game that I would have done differently. It's just.. more of the same. Just.. more.

8.5/10
Hatspank

TheCrimsonFenix 70

Postby Barca Azul » 05 Dec 2011, 13:19

Ive just finished Batman AC. Its a good game and builds technically where it left off from AA. However, for me its not as good. The graphics and Characters were great, but it seemed like they tried to cram in too many without any real link or reason.

I liked the freedom of the city, but it meant you also lost a bit of the tension that you had with AA.

The thing that lets the game down for me is the storey and being forced to rush through certain levels. It doesnt give you time to explore and it means you end up finishing it, before you have time for the side missions and so on!

Id give it a 8.8 out of 10. There is a lot of good stuff and its still enjoyable.
Barca Azul 61

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 06 Dec 2011, 18:42

You have to take the time out from in between story missions yourself to explore. :P
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby gypscanuck » 08 Dec 2011, 01:40

Resistance 3...ending was really abrupt, but it did well to borrow ideas from other games. Best one since one. Pun intended.

Still got MW3, UC3, and B:AA to finish...also Deus Ex...!
gypscanuck 46

Xbox Live: Nefurnest
PSN ID: Nefurnest
Steam: Nefurnest
Battle.net: Nefurnest
xFire: Nefurnest

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 08 Dec 2011, 23:33

Just completed Infamous. Started off slow and frustrating until I started upgrading powers and then I finally started kicking ass thanks to the monotony of city travel being prevented by the static thrusts.. then it became frustrating again thanks to the third areas enemies difficulty turned right up. Getting caught in a hail of gunfire by enemies which suddenly appear when your back is turned made this a chore to play. The game was just frustration defined wrapped up in very flawed game design and repetitive mission structure that just recycles the same set of missions for a while. Got to say, I didn't feel like much of a superhero when little enemies are able to kick your ass. Sure they outnumber you 5 to 1 but this guy is supposed to be all powerful. I felt more like Superman in Christopher Nolan's Batman universe. The ending was a nice twist and the end credits theme song was great and fit in my opinion but I seriously doubt I will even bother trying to go the evil route when the game is just one big ball of frustration. Worried, I picked up the sequel not long ago hoping to play it straight after the first's completion. Hopefully the sequel is a lot more varied and more competently designed because if it isn't, something is certainly going to be traded in.

6/10
Hatspank

TheCrimsonFenix 70

Postby Biskit » 30 Dec 2011, 21:29

Finished Assassin's Creed: Revelations yesterday. :)
More of the same from Brotherhood in gameplay, as well as some cool new sequences. It felt a bit short, but overall a satisfactory ending to the story of Ezio.

8/10
Biskit 18

PSN ID: kake35
Steam: finsrud3
xFire: busternor

Previous