to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Modern Warfare2....No Dedicated servers

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Red_Avatar » 12 Nov 2009, 19:24

It looks to be about one in six people so far - a little less than that. Not surprised - many simply wanted to send out a message that they wanted dedicated servers.
We want YOU to boycott DRM infested games!
Red_Avatar 61

Postby TescoPeeledPlums » 12 Nov 2009, 19:25

That's a different group to the one I was commenting on, not that it changes the points raised.
TescoPeeledPlums 51

Postby Poptart Fairy » 12 Nov 2009, 19:43

TescoPeeledPlums wrote:That's a different group to the one I was commenting on, not that it changes the points raised.

The point raised being that those screeching BOYCOTT THIS aren't the ones who doing anything like it. If people want to 'send out a message' maybe it should be 'we want dedicated servers' rather than a limp 'BOYCOTT THIS' rant while they play the damn thing.

Understand your cause before taking it on, ffs.
Poptart Fairy 49

Postby Gorgeras » 12 Nov 2009, 19:52

He's right, you shouldn't lie and when you do lie: you should not do the damn stupid thing and point everyone to the evidence that proves you are either lying or have not seen it yourself. You never know when someone with too much time on their hands(like me) might actually bother to read it(like I did).

Rule 1 of lists: check what order the list is being displayed in. This isn't alphabetical, nor is it date each member joined. It's activity.

Rule 2 of lists: READ the whole damn thing, yes each and every page(31 at the time of writing) in case a factual curve ball gets thrown.

What will mislead people about this list is that there are grey(offline) and blue(online) entries among the green(in-game) ones. Do not be fooled. I can't say for sure why this is, but my best assumption is that these are people who were recently in-game but either went offline or stopped playing. Their positional status has not updated with their colour-coded status.

The first 3 pages consist almost entirely of players in-game. This drops off completely at page 4: at time of writing there were NO in-game members beyond page 4. This changed at page 11, where the bottom half was all offline. But beyond page 11, there are no members in-game or online at all.

The sample being used is just 3 pages, out of 11 and a half pages of online members and 31 pages in total with most people offline. This sample has also been taken on the day Modern Warfare 2 became available on Steam: meaning of course anyone that bought it is going to be online playing it. This is important because it's the 3 pages of in-game players that matter.

I counted who was playing Modern Warfare 2 and compared it with the numbers that were in-game overall(by taking the numbers at the top of the page and subtracting the MW2 players I counted at the time and the offline/online members). There were 40 players in MW2 at the time of writing this, on those 3 pages of in-game players, out of 129.

40-129, this number on the day Modern Warfare 2 is released. The day is important because people in-game playing on other things(and we don't know how many Online people are playing non-Steam games while logged in) are not the right sample to compare: it gives us an indication of how many in the group are playing those games now, not who purchased them. Those who didn't purchase Modern Warfare 2 do not have an incentive to play a Steam game today, whilst those who did buy it do have an incentive: a new game.
Gorgeras 41

Postby tim_ward » 13 Nov 2009, 02:04

This sample has also been taken on the day Modern Warfare 2 became available on Steam: meaning of course anyone that bought it is going to be online playing it.

ITT we do not know what a 'time zone' is.
If I had wings, would I be forgiving?
If I had horns, would there be flames to shy my smile?
tim_ward 43

Postby Infernoblaze » 13 Nov 2009, 11:27

All I knwo about this game is that if they had dedicated servers in it that I can guarentee that at least 30 or so people in my friends list would have ben playing the game last evening and would be playing this evening. As it is there are around 3 or 4 people on there that own the game :/ I think everything about the game is great apart from this issue. I wold honestly buy it if they just patched the option in.
Infernoblaze 25

Postby Mooglepies » 13 Nov 2009, 13:55

Hear hear, Fernface.

I'll wait til the furore dies down; if there's nothing on dedicated servers by christmas (and I don't think there will be) I'll see if I can pick it up on the cheap like.
Mooglepies 4

Postby Poptart Fairy » 13 Nov 2009, 16:04

Gorgeras wrote:Wall of poorly written asperger text.

Hey, numpty: the point wasn't that Steam is exploding under the weight of MW2's multiplayer numbers, it's that those who have been screaming and wetting themselves over the lack of dedicated servers are the ones who are now playing the damn thing.

If you're going to burn flags over this, the least you can do is avoid buying the product. Undermines your cause somewhat.
Poptart Fairy 49

Postby lizard » 13 Nov 2009, 16:27

Poptart Fairy wrote:
If you're going to burn flags over this, the least you can do is avoid buying the product. Undermines your cause somewhat.

I agree there's nothing worse than gutless bitches who whine about something then go and give in anyway, goddamned hypocrites is what they are.

I've got no time for people like that - they're worse than useless.

if you're gonna make a statement be prepared to stand by your principals , if not f**k off and shut the hell up, your opinons aren't worth s**t if you haven't got the guts to back them up.

... wankers.
lizard 49

Postby Xercies » 13 Nov 2009, 20:00

Couldn't of said it better myself. These guys who do boycotts and then don't go through with it are spineless. Same with the L4D2 boycott.
Xercies 52

Postby The_Terminator » 13 Nov 2009, 21:18

Well, now we know why they didn't want player-run servers: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=227204 :P
Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?

No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.
The_Terminator 43

Postby White Thrall » 13 Nov 2009, 21:30

The_Terminator wrote:Well, now we know why they didn't want player-run servers: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=227204 :P

It wasn't difficult to predict something like this happening. Perhaps they will offer a 'premium service' in which you can rent dedicated servers from Activision.
Steam ID: Kelron
White Thrall 67

Postby Red_Avatar » 13 Nov 2009, 21:42

The_Terminator wrote:Well, now we know why they didn't want player-run servers: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=227204 :P

*facepalm* I think Activision are trying to fill the hiatus of "most hated publisher ever" now that EA is no longer filling it.
We want YOU to boycott DRM infested games!
Red_Avatar 61

Postby Ratty » 13 Nov 2009, 22:43

According to the Activision CFO, there is a demand from its core fanbase to pay for additional services.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," he said.

Who are these people they are saying that want this ?

I would like to see direct quotes from a dedicated PC gamer to this effect..

Sheesh !!
There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I' in 'useless smug colleague', either. And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.

Whose Idea was it to put an 'S' in the word 'lisp' ?
Ratty 56

Postby White Thrall » 13 Nov 2009, 22:47

Ratty wrote:
According to the Activision CFO, there is a demand from its core fanbase to pay for additional services.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," he said.

Who are these people they are saying that want this ?

I would like to see direct quotes from a dedicated PC gamer to this effect..

Sheesh !!

There's demand for the extra features, and it's incomprehensible to Activision to provide anything for free when they could charge for it. Therefore they treat is as demand to pay them more money.
Steam ID: Kelron
White Thrall 67

PreviousNext