to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Modern Warfare2....No Dedicated servers

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby bigtallanddopey » 05 Nov 2009, 00:34

Mooks wrote: As mentioned before no previous developer has perfected the p2p hosting system that IW claim to have its a very bold move from IW If they are so confident of the system maybe they should release a multiplayer demo so we can try it out?

that would have been one of the best things they could have done as soon as this started circulating the internet. if they have faith in there product (which they are backing outright) then proving that in a demo would have possibly not gotten them this bad publicity.
bigtallanddopey 57

Postby loopy bubbletush » 05 Nov 2009, 14:09

It gets better and better:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pc-mo ... er-shrinks

Infinity Ward has revealed that the PC version of Modern warfare 2 will support only 18 players online, whereas previous instalments have catered for 32.

:roll:
loopy bubbletush 55

Postby Red_Avatar » 05 Nov 2009, 14:26

18 is being very optimistic and probably only for those with massively strong connections to start a server from. I think a more realistic number will be 8 or 10.
We want YOU to boycott DRM infested games!
Red_Avatar 61

Postby Xercies » 05 Nov 2009, 16:03

Also they said that the advancement for the PC version is mouse look, text speak and graphics settings.

And I'm not kidding here.

http://www.tek-9.org/news/mw2_developer_chat_reveals_more_bad_news_regarding_multiplayer-2115.html

Despicable, I hope they choke on their money there going to make from the consoles...
Xercies 52

Postby Red_Avatar » 05 Nov 2009, 17:02

That interview is really blowing my mind on several levels. Here's some answers they should probably have given if Vince was a victim of the "can't tell a lie" wish:

You said IWnet was created to help stop piracy, what do you say about the Xbox 360 version leaked and shared on torrent sites?
Vince-IW: IWnet was designed to make the MP experience on PC easier and more balanced.

Or: "erm yeah, let's pretend I never said that. Let's focus on the other bullshit I said instead while ignoring the issue!"

Will IW ever consider developing games on the PC to support dedicated servers, be it MW2 patches or future endeavors? Just curious if dedicated servers are on the radar anymore.
Mackey-IW: Our goal is to provide the best experience for our users, so nothing is ever "off the table". We are always evaluating our options.

Or: "If it proves sales are a disappointment, we'll bring back dedicated servers and pretend we 'listened' to our community. In the mean time, we just want the money from casual gamers and screw you fan base."

Are you considering ever patching in mod tools for the pc to make custom maps and such?
Mackey-IW: Right now we're focused on launching our game.
(LATER ON) Vince-IW: We haven't made any decisions regarding this yet.

Or: "Why would we want that? Then people could make maps and we wouldn't make money off selling crappy maps at ridiculous prices! But oh wait, we better not say that so we'll just keep it dangling in the air, pretending we're still considering it".

Has IWnet been tested in European settings? My clan plays european leagues and we got ppl from Eastern europe, UK and Sweden meeting in the same match. How is this going to play out considering siginificant differences in Bandwith and connection qualities between players. Will host player always have the ping advantage. Can a match be hosted by 'third' person, not taking part in the match?
Mackey-IW: Players do not control who hosts.

(this is my favorite one)
Or: "Jesus, they discovered the weakness in our crappy system! Quick! Let's just ignore 90% of his question and pretend he just asked about hosts and smile."

Please give me a direct answer. On the PC version. Are all games hosted by players, and is there a 5 second delay when host migration is in effect?
Vince-IW: yes.

Or: "Better not mention that if all other players have a crappy connection, you're down s**t creek eh?"

What are the current steps being taken in regard to active blocking measures that some major ISPs have taken regarding Peer 2 Peer connections, such as what Comcast does?
Mackey-IW: Only players capable of hosting will be host.

Or: "We don't give a s**t about that, so no steps are being taken. Tough luck on them."

Will there be a multiplayer PC demo shortly after release? The PC community is largely skeptical at best right now and with no ability to trade-in or rent, this is a real gamble for our wallets.
Vince-IW: No plans for a demo currently. We are still working on finishing the PC game right now (yes, I know... we need to get done!)

Or: "Are you mad?! Then even casual gamers would know the truth about our crappy new system! We're still trying to play this whole s**t-fest down you know!"

Since we can not kick people in ranked matches, how will we stop hackers who get past VAC?
Mackey-IW: Our goal is to ban hackers from the game.

Or: "Me stupid. Me not understand question or me pretend to be stupid. Hackers? What hackers?"
(no seriously, that's a really really retarded answer to a very clever question - there won't be supervision over obvious hackers and everyone knows VAC doesn't ban immediately so ranked matches can be harmed and players can get wronged)

Mackey-IW: Games cap out at 9v9. The software has great latency tolerance. See above!

Or: "Expect to get killed even after you have already found cover behind a wall because another player is half a second behind in ping!"

Are you aware of the petition to for dedicated servers and mods, have you taken this into acount?
Vince-IW: yes.

Or: "Actually, it's yes to the first question, f**k you to the second question" :lol:

Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?
Mackey-IW: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Or: "Blergh blergh *drool* me only have half a brain"
Funny how they make features that even DOOM had 16 years ago look "special".
What kinds of pings did you get during your IWNet testing and what do you say is an acceptable ping?
Mackey-IW: I've been playing mainly with around 100ms ping and it was great.

Or: "Of course that was within our personal 200MBit network. You'll be glad if you have pings below 300 SUCKERS!"

Okay, some massive exaggerating from my side aside, those answers are really REALLY facepalm worthy. Some are downright insulting. People made a good effort to ask intelligent question and this c**t couldn't even be bothered to give an honest answer to many. Instead he just ignores the points or gives some bullshit answer instead.
We want YOU to boycott DRM infested games!
Red_Avatar 61

Postby GrannyGoddy » 05 Nov 2009, 18:18

Red_Avatar wrote:Okay, some massive exaggerating from my side aside,

Perhaps, but they were damn funny, and probably closer to the truth than IW would like to admit.

However, one thing about that whole chat session that intrigues me:
Question: Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?
Mackey-IW: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Who in the name of the Great Bear's left b*****k could possibly think that was a good answer? Seriously? Is this man in full control of his faculties? Does he need 24-7 supervision so he doesn't lick plug sockets?

I despair sometimes, I really do...
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If this is granted, all else follows.
GrannyGoddy 21

Postby Wednesday » 05 Nov 2009, 18:35

You can use a mouse! On the PC!
Never put a sock in a toaster
Wednesday 44

Postby Ratty » 05 Nov 2009, 18:39

Wednesday wrote:You can use a mouse! On the PC!

Just be glad they didn't take that away as well...

TBH, with everything else they've removed for this 'non-port', it wouldn't have surprised me.
There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I' in 'useless smug colleague', either. And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.

Whose Idea was it to put an 'S' in the word 'lisp' ?
Ratty 56

Postby barmyllama » 05 Nov 2009, 19:48

GrannyGoddy wrote: Does he need 24-7 supervision so he doesn't lick plug sockets?

I despair sometimes, I really do...

That comment really made me laugh, proper pissing my self here as I type.

Superb.
barmyllama 48

Postby Mr Mac » 08 Nov 2009, 04:57

I quite agree, Infinity Ward really are a bunch of c**ts, but I suppose we all should have seen this a mile away...what with them originally being a PC dev and all...

f**king t**ts.
Mr Mac 9

Postby johnway » 08 Nov 2009, 09:03

its getting worse, other developers are following suit. Its as if they all want to screw us over. Someones going to find a hack and make a way to develop a dedicated server list.
www.geocities.com/johnway_l - My sketch book drawings.

"The price of freedom is vigilance"

steam id: Johnway
johnway 57

Postby Mooks » 08 Nov 2009, 12:04

I have read there is a press restriction on reviews until 11/10/09 seems a strange decision to restrict freedom of press?

This isn't Nazi Germany anymore...
Mooks 30

Postby Poptart Fairy » 08 Nov 2009, 14:32

Mooks wrote:
This isn't Nazi Germany anymore...

No it isn't, so stop making retarded comparisons like this. It's the sort of thing that makes the self-righteous wailing look pathetic.
Poptart Fairy 49

Postby PCG The_B » 08 Nov 2009, 17:13

Mooks wrote:I have read there is a press restriction on reviews until 11/10/09 seems a strange decision to restrict freedom of press

Embargoes are perfectly normal and a regular occurrence.

But yes, in this day and age of games available so easily and readily they are getting stupidly and incredibly close to the release of the game itself.
DoubleYouTeeEff.com - The Bloggings of The_B

"Not as good as Rock, Paper, Shotgun" - Anonymous
PCG The_B 66

Postby alibabba13 » 08 Nov 2009, 19:22

Another funny quote for you is:

zach426: What was your guy's logic behind removing the lean feature for PC, a feature that was a mainstay from all of your previous call of duty titles?

Mackey-IW: The game is not balanced for lean.

What does that even mean!?

Also thank god IW was nice enough to use a mouse in this port. This is after their community rep said word for word:

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made."

So feature rich being the ability to use the mouse and keyboard and investment being the port software?

Oh and yet another gem is:

DudezTY: Since we can not kick people in ranked matches, how will we stop hackers who get past VAC?

Mackey-IW: Our goal is to ban hackers from the game.

Overall a whole lot more reasons not to buy the game. It would be great if the not balanced for lean quote gets put in the say what column :D
alibabba13 6

PreviousNext