to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

General Live Set-Up Help

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

General Live Set-Up Help

Postby offspringboy » 01 Feb 2006, 23:46

I'm a novice when it comes to connecting videogame consoles to the internet, that's why I never got Live for my original xbox.
But I want to get it for my 360 when I collect mine on Friday, I have AOL Braodband and would like to download game demos, as I can't get any games for awhile and I heard there is no demo with the unit so I'm stuffed if I don't go live. Can anyone advise me how it sets up, if I can with AOL, how hard is it, what I need to get to go Live etc...
Anyone who could help me with the above will be ace in my books :)
Thanks guys.
offspringboy 43

Postby dinsfire » 01 Feb 2006, 23:47

Hmmmmm.... AOL, not a good start. :wink:
dinsfire 64

Xbox Live: Dinsfire

Postby offspringboy » 02 Feb 2006, 00:07

That was helpfull :lol: anyone else please!
offspringboy 43

Postby illphukiir » 02 Feb 2006, 00:54

Are AOL really that bad?

I'm on 56k AOL and aint had any problems, so what's the big deal with AOL, I've heard many people saying they're shite but after many years still don't know why.

depends what setup you've got offspring, there any wireless devices liek routers n shizzle in your home, or just 1 comp on broadband etc?
illphukiir 60

Postby offspringboy » 02 Feb 2006, 01:06

Okay, I have a BT Voyager Modem connected straight into my PC, I don't mind disconnecting my PC from the internet and just connect my 360 when I use it. Is this possible or do I 'have' to do it another way?
I really don't want to play online, I just want to download demos, do I have to pay for this?
That's pretty much everything I'd like to know, as people are telling me there is no point in having a 360 unless I can get it running online!
Info on above wll be much appreciated.
offspringboy 43

Postby illphukiir » 02 Feb 2006, 01:14

K, I'm guessin the modem's a USB one yah?

You will need these things:
-Network Interface Card (NIC) or an Ethernet port on joo puta.
-Ethernet crossover cable (you can use the xbox system link cable)

1. Go to 'control panel'
2. Then select 'network connections'
3. Then click on 'create a new connection'
4. Then click next
5. Then select 'connect to the internet' and click next
6. Then select 'set up my connection manually' and click next
7. Then select 'connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and p@ssword' then click next
8. Then it'll say 'type the name of your ISP' here type Xbox and click next
9. Then type in your AOL user name (including @aol.com) then type in your AOL p@ssword and click on the two boxes below so the tick goes then cick next
10. Then add a shortcut to your desktop and click finish
11. When you have done this double click on the icon that you created on your desktop and click on properties then advanced
12. When you have clicked on advance click on 'alow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection' then make sure that the other two boxes are unselected. Then in the dropdown box select the area connection of your Network card
13. When you have done this connect using the new connection.
illphukiir 60

Postby ganonshin » 03 Feb 2006, 17:40

Hi illphukiir,

I have followed your instructions but in No.12 there is no drop down box. Also when I double click this xbox network connection it says connecting through wan miniport (pppoe), then I get a 678 error.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you.

P.S I am with Demon internet, dont know if it makes a difference.
ganonshin 37

Postby offspringboy » 03 Feb 2006, 18:37

Okay, thanks. I did the above and connected with my PC on and connected via the PC and my 360 was downloading an update.
Half way through the 360 shut off by itself and reset, and now it says unable to connect to Live and on the Test it now says IP Address failed, but it was okay as it was okay before?
Anyone got a clue?
offspringboy 43

Postby illphukiir » 03 Feb 2006, 19:25

ganonshin wrote:Hi illphukiir,

I have followed your instructions but in No.12 there is no drop down box. Also when I double click this xbox network connection it says connecting through wan miniport (pppoe), then I get a 678 error.

Thank you.

I don't think Demon internet should make a difference.

Instead of finding a drop down box you might have to click on the "Networking" tab and then ticking your NIC on that list, maybe that will help?and check if you've got a firewall on, try letting the Xbox through on that. Also, what type of modem do you have and how do you connect, through a username and pass or is it always on?
illphukiir 60

Postby offspringboy » 03 Feb 2006, 21:53

Thanks illphukiir without you I wouldn't of been able to set up, it is working okay, just needed to leave and reset my PC and 360 after a 3 minute rest? Weird huh!
offspringboy 43

Postby ganonshin » 04 Feb 2006, 00:58

illphukiir wrote:
ganonshin wrote:Hi illphukiir,

Thank you.

I don't think Demon internet should make a difference.

Instead of finding a drop down box you might have to click on the "Networking" tab and then ticking your NIC on that list, maybe that will help?and check if you've got a firewall on, try letting the Xbox through on that. Also, what type of modem do you have and how do you connect, through a username and pass or is it always on?

I went to the networking tab but there is no NIC in the drop down box just the PPPoE option. Also I have a usb modem and I do have put in a username and password to log on. Please help!!
ganonshin 37