to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

My Wii U: A Catalogue of Misadventures

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

My Wii U: A Catalogue of Misadventures

Postby ad4m22 » 04 Dec 2012, 15:31

Boy, have I got a story for you.

My experience of owning a Wii U has been a little different to that of most. Like many of you, I was deeply excited to purchase one when they came out, so I spent about six months saving up (it would have been less, but I have to eat at some point.)

When I pre-ordered my console, I asked about the possibility of a midnight opening. ‘Oh yes,’ said the kindly man in GAME, ‘we’ll definitely be doing a midnight launch.’

When the fabled day was just a few hours away, I walked down to my town centre, arriving over an hour before the doors were due to open. I rang the GAME line to double check about the midnight opening and the automated voice assured me that there most definitely was one. Everything was ready. I had booked two days off work to enjoy the console. I even had enough money left over to purchase an extra game alongside ZombiU.

But things started to go wrong for me. I walked in laps around the shopping centre for over an hour, wondering which door was going to open. It was freezing cold, seeping through my coat and gloves so that if I didn’t keep walking, I wouldn’t stay warm. I stopped half a dozen roving security guards and asked them what was happening. They all shrugged and said, ‘What’s a Wee-You?’

Finally at ten past midnight and no idea what was happening, I walked over to the other GAME store in town. The lights were on! Finally! The end was in sight! I knocked on the door, eager smile on my face, clearly the first person in line. The man inside the shop opened up and said, ‘You alright there?’
‘Yes, I’m fine,’ I said. ‘Can I pick up my Wii U here?’
‘Uh, no,’ he said. ‘We’re not doing a midnight launch. Only the store at Cribbs Causeway [many miles from my current location] is doing that.’

As I explained my predicament, he looked stunned. He explained to me that there was nothing he could do, but if his tills were open, he would gladly sort me out.

There was nothing to be done, so I walked all the way home in the freezing cold.

After four hours’ sleep, I ran back into town, getting into GAME just as it opened and FINALLY getting my hands on a brand new Wii U console.

That’s when my real problems began. I set it up and tried to access my router to get online. Nothing. How was this possible? The Wii U was next to the router. I was surfing the internet. The 360 and 3DS had no issues with it. I tried again. Nothing. I rang up my Internet Service Provider (Virgin). There was nothing wrong on their end. I rang up Nintendo.
‘Ah,’ said the disembodied voice on the other end of the line. ‘We’re having some problems with Virgin. Let me talk you through it.’

And talk me through it he did. I had to manually set up my router – even though it was roughly three feet away from the console – and finally I was online and could download the update. So I set it to update and waited patiently, getting into ‘Virtue’s Last Reward’ in the hour the download took.

Eventually the bar was nearly full. But suddenly it disconnected, citing error code ‘193-999’ as a reason. Undaunted, I tried again and the same thing happened.

‘Ah,’ said another disembodied voice from Nintendo Support. ‘That’s just a congestion message. Lots of people trying to get online, that’s all it is. Try again around midnight.’

So I waited, enjoying a bit of zombie-bashing action and laughing with delight at the frantic silliness of NintendoLand. Finally midnight rolled around and I tried again. This time the download bar filled, leading into the initialising bar. I was almost giddy with excitement.

Then the bar reached 99% and crapped out, no error message given, just that there was a problem and I should try again. So I did.

Three more times.

Around four am I woke up on the sofa to see yet another error message. Too tired to react, I went to bed.

I tried all the next day as well, with similar results. I rang up Nintendo once more, but the service is shut on weekends. (Console release Friday, shut on Saturday – explain that one.) I played a bit more ZombiU, trying to update again every so often.

Finally Saturday ended and I was due back in work. My colleagues came rushing up to me to ask the question they all wanted to know: ‘What is the Wii U like?’
‘I don’t know,’ I replied. ‘Buggered if I can get it to work.’

One of my tech-savvy friends took a look at the console that night. The only thing he could think was to wipe the hard drive and try again. So I did.

Still nothing.

At this point it was generally agreed that my Wii U was, to use the technical term, completely FUBAR. It can only have been a manufacturing fault.

Monday morning rolled around and I sadly packed up my Wii U, lugging it all the way into town. The chaps in GAME seemed stunned that I was presenting them with a faulty console and could find no problems with it themselves, but they kindly replaced the console and I took it home.

I manually reinstalled the internet connection and… yes, you guessed it. Nothing. Update still won’t come through.

‘Ah’, said yet another disembodied voice from Nintendo Support. ‘We’re still having problems with Virgin. We have a new batch of codes that are working now. Let me help you change the settings.’

So I did. Nothing.

‘Ah,’ said a four voice. ‘Try again?’

Nothing.

‘Ah,’ said a fifth voice. ‘I have no idea how to fix this. It’s unheard of. This has resolved all our other customer issues. You’re the only on having problems. It must just be that the router can’t quite connect to the console. Maybe it’s a manufacturing fault?’
‘It can’t be, this is the replacement console.’
‘Oh, right. Well… in that case, I would recommend going to a friend’s house and downloading there.’
‘Does that mean I have to go to a friend’s house very time there’s an update?’ I asked.
‘Um… yes,’ said the voice.

So here I am. I have a brand new Wii U that I’ve hardly touched. There are no problems with my internet. There are no problems with my Wii U. But the two refuse to get along. They just glare at one another, like wounded ex-lovers, unable to forgive each other but unwilling to move forward.

So, can you answer me this question: is there anyone else suffering the same problems? Does anyone have a solution? Because I might take a hammer to either my router or the console and I’m not sure which one I blame more.
ad4m22 37

Re: My Wii U: A Catalogue of Misadventures

Postby yerbluesjohn » 04 Dec 2012, 16:02

Your first mistake was to trust GAME. But seriously, it sounds like you've had a nightmare.

So you say the update downloads completely, but the installation won't complete? How can that be a router problem?

I did have a few problems connecting the Wii U to my router. I had to set up a fixed IP for it and keep trying to connect until it finally took. No idea what was going on inside the box because it started working for no obvious reason.

When I was downloading the update Friday night, I had to keep restarting it because the connection kept timing out. It must've done it about 10 times. Thankfully the download resumed from where it left off.

And then once I got on Miiverse, it hardly ever let me connect again on Friday night. Suppose it was just first day teething troubles.

Since Saturday though it's been all good for me.

If I was you I'd keep phoning Nintendo and try and speak to the most senior person you can. Someone's gotta be able to sort this out for you!
Last edited by yerbluesjohn on 04 Dec 2012, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
yerbluesjohn 64

Postby Barry316 » 04 Dec 2012, 16:10

If it's downloading but failing at the install that'll likely be because it's corrupting somewhere in the download. Virgin customers using the Superhub as a router have had that problem for a while, they're currently rolling out a firmware update that supposedly fixes the problem.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Ann ... 88414#M123

Another way would be to try a new router or get the ethernet adaptor and try wired.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby ad4m22 » 04 Dec 2012, 17:21

Thank you for that Barry316, it probably is the Superhub. I knew that thing was trouble, ever since the guy who installed it left and forgot to plug the TV leads back in. I like technology, but it does not like me.

I'll reboot the router after this latest attempt to install fails.

All I wanted to do was hit my zombiefied friends over the head with a cricket bat. Hopefully I will soon achieve this.

Thank you for the support guys! I'll let you know how it plays out.
ad4m22 37

Postby ricflair » 04 Dec 2012, 19:24

Makes me even more glad I have my 'super' hub in modem only mode. Although it's so big I can't exactly hide it away!

I had a cheap dlink cable router given to me and I've not had a single disconnect since I hooked it up. It's not just the Wii U though, the range and consistency of the super hub is a disgrace.

Why they package that piece of crap with super fast broadband I don't know! It's like they want their service to look worse than it actually is. Still handy for bandwidth throttling by the back door!

I think a new cable router will be the quickest fix.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby Balladeer » 04 Dec 2012, 20:52

Best of luck with(out) the Superhub, Adam! Let us know how it turns out.

...I don't feel I can say much else, being so late to the party. Woo! Yay! Generic supportive messages!
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby billysastard » 04 Dec 2012, 23:23

ricflair wrote:Makes me even more glad I have my 'super' hub in modem only mode. Although it's so big I can't exactly hide it away!

I had a cheap dlink cable router given to me and I've not had a single disconnect since I hooked it up. It's not just the Wii U though, the range and consistency of the super hub is a disgrace.

Why they package that piece of crap with super fast broadband I don't know! It's like they want their service to look worse than it actually is. Still handy for bandwidth throttling by the back door!

I think a new cable router will be the quickest fix.

this was a lesson learned long ago, we were in a test area for the 100meg service and when they came to fit the new router / modem the engineer asked if a already had a router to which i said yes, he said good, use that because ours is rubbish so like you its set as a modem hardwired to the router, i've had no problems at all connecting anything to this router, in fact the only issues i ever have are the virgin bit crashing and taking the router with it but a swift power down / reboot of both normally sorts it out.

i should say that it still took over 2 1/2 hours to download the 1gb update on the 100meg connection

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby treesmurf 11 » 05 Dec 2012, 01:36

Your second mistake was trusting Virgin, I have Sky braodband myself and it works fine but when I've took it round my brother's house who has Virgin I've rarely managed to get a steady connection, not exactly sure of the problem but from the sounds of it that Virgin fix needs to sorted asap.
My Twitterings
3DS Friend code: 3866-8000-9437
treesmurf 11 69

PSN ID: treesmurf11
Wii Code: 3916 3672 8458 8486
Steam: treesmurf11

Postby ricflair » 05 Dec 2012, 01:44

I can't fault my Virgin connection at all. Solid 3-3.5Mb pretty much all the time. Their overall customer service has been s**t - they didn't give me the sign up offer I had, and then accused me of telling porkies, refused to give me an email address where I could sent my confirmation email showing the offer, and it wasn't until I threatened to leave that I got through to someone who actually gave me their email address. Even then they made out I was the recipient of their generosity!

I miss O2. They were brilliant for years, unfortunately they had no room in the exchange!
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby ad4m22 » 05 Dec 2012, 08:23

All these Virgin stories sound horrifyingly similar, which is crazy. Until this point, I've had literally NO reason to complain about them, even the Superhub has never given me problems before.

So I checked the firmware update message and it looks like I'm going to be unable to get online until 10th Dec at the very earliest. Does the Wii U have a cable port? I had a quick look but I didn't see anything modem-cable-shaped.
ad4m22 37

Postby Balladeer » 05 Dec 2012, 08:33

Neither the Wii nor Wii U can be cabled, I don't think.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby Im_Money » 05 Dec 2012, 12:38

Doesn't have one as standard but you can buy a Lan Adaptor, this is the Nintendo one but other 3rd party ones are also available :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/cvygc4h
Im_Money 64

Xbox Live: Bowling4Phil
PSN ID: Bowling4Phil

Postby billysastard » 05 Dec 2012, 14:49

ad4m22 wrote:So I checked the firmware update message and it looks like I'm going to be unable to get online until 10th Dec at the very earliest. Does the Wii U have a cable port? I had a quick look but I didn't see anything modem-cable-shaped.

all you need is one of these http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SWIIVALUE12 £4.00 or look on ebay dont pay extra for a wii u one, the wii ones are identical.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby ad4m22 » 06 Dec 2012, 17:55

I think - think - that I may have found my solution. It involves digging out my old wireless router and turning SuperHub into a modem once more.

Cross your fingers. This could either work or go wrong in some way that I haven't even thought of.
ad4m22 37

Postby ad4m22 » 06 Dec 2012, 21:24

AHAHAAHHAAHH!!

IT WORKED!

I had to reconfigure my router, turn Superhub into a modem, wipe all my settings, log all my housemates out and set up a fresh connection, but it WORKED.

Thank you all for the support. See you on the Miiverse!
ad4m22 37

Next