to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Souness Sacked (Poll For New Manager)

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Next Newcastle Manager

Shearer
53%
Allardyce
No votes
Martin O'Neill
20%
Eriksson
7%
Steve Bruce
No votes
Hiddenk
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes : 15

Souness Sacked (Poll For New Manager)

Postby GhostHunterUk » 02 Feb 2006, 17:52

Newcastle United have sacked manager Graeme Souness.

The news comes just 24 hours after United slumped to a 3-0 defeat at Manchester City - their fifth defeat in the last six Premiership games.

Souness took charge at St James' Park in September 2004, but never really won over the Magpies faithful.

His record of just 36 wins from 83 games was never going to be good enough for a team looking to reclaim a place in the UEFA Champions League - but instead they now find themselves embroiled in a relegation battle.

Former West Ham boss Glenn Roeder, already at the club as boss of their academy, has been appointed caretaker manager and he will be assisted by captain Alan Shearer for Saturday's clash with Portsmouth.

A club statement confirmed Roeder's appointment and read: "Newcastle United today announced that the employment of Graeme Souness has been terminated with immediate effect.

"Glenn Roeder will take charge of first team affairs for the immediate future following the departure of Graeme Souness."

A host of big names are already being linked with the Newcastle hot-seat, including Martin O'Neill, Sven Goran Eriksson, Guus Hiddink and Ottmar Hitzfeld, whilst domestically Sam Allardyce is thought to be a candidate for the post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About time if you ask me.
-----Newcastle United Fan-----
Xbox360 Tag - GhostHunterUk
GhostHunterUk 26

Postby renegade_angel » 02 Feb 2006, 17:57

Quite a lot of dreaming going on when you conjured up that list.
Gamertag: PacDan
renegade_angel 65

Postby Zigzagoon » 02 Feb 2006, 18:34

I say Shearer, he is a local hero up there and I like him as well.
Zigzagoon 65

Xbox Live: Osafune2
PSN ID: Osafune2

Postby lutha89 » 02 Feb 2006, 20:04

Hmm i don't think Hiddink or Allardyce would take the job while the England jobs still available. What about Ranieri? He's still out of work if memory serves.
AGE OF ORTON
lutha89 40

Postby rjcanty » 02 Feb 2006, 20:08

I'd like to see Shearer be a player/manager just to see if he could go into further management. If he did do well it'd be a step in the right direction i.e. His retirement.

Why you put Allardyce (amongst others) on that list I don't know.
rjcanty 62

Postby Corporate_sniper » 02 Feb 2006, 21:44

rjcanty wrote:I'd like to see Shearer be a player/manager just to see if he could go into further management. If he did do well it'd be a step in the right direction i.e. His retirement.

Why you put Allardyce (amongst others) on that list I don't know.

Yea why leave, over achivers Bolton for serious under achivers Newcastle.

Who in their right mind wants this job at the moment.
Corporate_sniper 59

Postby lutha89 » 02 Feb 2006, 21:50

Yea why leave, over achivers Bolton for serious under achivers Newcastle.

Who in their right mind wants this job at the moment

Yea i agree that Big Sam shouldn't leave Bolton, but i think that Newcastle are going to climb up the table when a new manager arrives.
It's not often you see a club grow that stale and the manager not have a clue what to do. I think Souness is one of the worst managers in the top 2 divisions. Newcastle have a great squad and IMO they will go back to challenging for Europe next season.
AGE OF ORTON
lutha89 40

Re: Souness Sacked (Poll For New Manager)

Postby User removed » 02 Feb 2006, 23:11

GhostHunterUk wrote:Newcastle United have sacked manager Graeme Souness.

The news comes just 24 hours after United slumped to a 3-0 defeat at Manchester City - their fifth defeat in the last six Premiership games.

Souness took charge at St James' Park in September 2004, but never really won over the Magpies faithful.

His record of just 36 wins from 83 games was never going to be good enough for a team looking to reclaim a place in the UEFA Champions League - but instead they now find themselves embroiled in a relegation battle.

Former West Ham boss Glenn Roeder, already at the club as boss of their academy, has been appointed caretaker manager and he will be assisted by captain Alan Shearer for Saturday's clash with Portsmouth.

A club statement confirmed Roeder's appointment and read: "Newcastle United today announced that the employment of Graeme Souness has been terminated with immediate effect.

"Glenn Roeder will take charge of first team affairs for the immediate future following the departure of Graeme Souness."

A host of big names are already being linked with the Newcastle hot-seat, including Martin O'Neill, Sven Goran Eriksson, Guus Hiddink and Ottmar Hitzfeld, whilst domestically Sam Allardyce is thought to be a candidate for the post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About time if you ask me.

Yes the below is my post from another thread can't be bothered to re-type etc..
Why i think Shearer shoud not succeed Souness.
Gulp... here we go!

Attacking football? Backwards football!
Newcastle are the only team that i watch on the box in any competition and end up falling asleep, even when they were having a good run in the UEFA cup.
They are so boring to watch!
Admittedly in the days of Keegan and with the likes of Ginola they were very entertaining to watch!
To me the day they signed Shearer was the day it started to go wrong for them.
Now yes you may be thinking what is he on about he is a legend up here he is about to break the record etc.. let me explain my view before you cyberly rip my head off..

Though he would deny it the attacking football you mentioned has been blunted due to the team being compromised to play Shearers way.
Owen aside who i new and injured anyway there is no speed up front there has not been foe a long time. Shearer is an old fashioned pro he waits for the ball to come to him, unlike Henry etc who work all of the channels and wings.
New forward players have been brought in previously but have to comprise their own attacking flairs instincts to play for and around Shearers way
Newcastle always have problems with their players moaning about their positions etc you know Dyer, Bellamy, Robert and others, Emre will be on his way soon give him a another year looking at a static Shearer who hopefully will not play on another season.
Shearer is good and yes he is a lethal finisher and he did the business for Engand in the 90', but the game has moved on since the mid-nineties, speed and movement is the key to me and most modern footballers.
Owen? Yes ! Let's hope he stays there in the long run and stays injury free!
Quicker Shearer retires the better, because a good Newcastle is good for the Premiership.
Why they hired Souness in the first place i'll never know?
If i was a Newcastle fan i would be praying for Robson to come back (inpossible now) blinking heck even Gullit! lol.

Bit long, thats how i see it though. I suppose everyone else here would beg to differ, cool just my view only.

Mmm, i know you won't agree just thought i had to get it off my chest.

Um.. yes! I love Shearer and Newcastle too, thinking about a family vacation there as i type, mm... bye.
User removed

Postby User removed » 03 Feb 2006, 00:25

Should be Alan Shearer like!
User removed

Postby JoeyJoJoJnr » 03 Feb 2006, 00:51

I think it should be Alan Shearer because...

A) It should be a laugh to see if he has what it takes to be flung into a tough Premiership job as his first ever non-playing career move.

B)So we don't have to see him mumbling away so much that he sends me to sleep when he's analysing matches on Sky Sports
JoeyJoJoJnr 71

Postby Beats12 » 03 Feb 2006, 01:18

Yup, shearer isn't my favourite pundit either. It would be interesting to see if he is able to motivate the under achievers at Newcastle.
Beats12 65

Postby User removed » 03 Feb 2006, 15:14

O'neill gets my vote.
User removed

Postby Liam1989 » 03 Feb 2006, 15:33

Shearer, only because if he carries on playing he will most likely have a heart attack.
"There’s someone in my head but it’s not me"
Liam1989 19

Postby User removed » 03 Mar 2006, 21:18

I have changed my mind and have decided that Glen Raoder[sp?] should be kept on at least till the end of the season.
User removed