to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Short-list For Player of the Year award for 2006.

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Short-list For Player of the Year award for 2006.

Postby GhostHunterUk » 12 Apr 2006, 15:26

The PFA have announced their short-list for the coveted Players' Player of the Year award for 2006.

Chief executive Gordon Taylor has given his own thoughts on the six nominees

CONTENDERS:

JOE COLE (Chelsea): Joe Cole is a lad who we looked after in his younger days at West Ham, at a time when doubts were expressed as to whether he would be particularly good as a team player even though we always knew he had tremendous skills. But I think he's really adapted himself well: he's focused, he's started to get an old head on young shoulders, he's starting to work hard for the team - defensively as well in an attacking capacity - and I'm sure he can do a job for England in that problem position on the left-hand side. It would appear that Sven Goran Eriksson shares the same view.

STEVEN GERRARD (Liverpool): He's a bit special isn't he? Last year's Champions League final has to go down as one of the greatest games of all-time - and a combination of Steven's leadership skills and Jamie Carragher's defensive qualities, set up an unlikely Liverpool win, the likes of which I never thought I would see against Milan. At half time everybody - me included - was hoping for damage limitation but what impressed everybody was not just the spirit of Liverpool team, but the way Steven led from the front. It's no surprise that he's been wanted by virtually every manager in the world, but he's remained loyal to Liverpool and I'm really glad they're maintaining their success because that's good for him and good for the club.

THIERRY HENRY (Arsenal): A two-times winner of this award, Thierry Henry is just a class act. Pure and simple. When people ask me about star quality I think it's really very hard to define but with Thierry Henry, when he steps onto the pitch, you can see instantly that he's got the lot. Like a great singer, as soon as he opens his mouth, or a great actor the moment he delivers his first line. Not only is he a quality footballer, he's a quality person. We've seen that in the way he has led the Arsenal youngsters into Europe when things haven't gone so well domestically. Having been our Player of our Year for two out of the last three years, I think he's unfortunate not to have been World Player of the Year because he's up there with the very best.

FRANK LAMPARD (Chelsea): The first name on the Chelsea team-sheet and probably now one of the first names on the England team-sheet too. He's improved his game so much over the last few seasons and his development has been down to sheer hard work and dedication. I think he's every father's idea of a perfect son! Not only is he a good lad, he's a great footballer and to get the goals he's got from midfield is indicative of the way he's worked at every aspect of his game. He's top quality. He was well-rewarded last year as the Football Writers' Player of the Year - as well as our own Fans' Player of the Year - and I am delighted to see him in the nominations once again for the Players' Player award.

WAYNE ROONEY (Manchester United): Wayne is special. International players from all over the globe voted him as the World Young Player of the Year, which illustrates how his qualities have been recognised worldwide. His development under Sir Alex has been great to see and he has been such a key part of a United side which has won the Carling Cup and, of late, has mounted a belated challenge to Chelsea in the race for the Premiership title. For a young man he's got such strength and it's all allied to great skill and perception. He's starting to show a lot more maturity too which I'm really pleased about. When you think he might be wound up by opponents, he's learned to count to ten and control that side of his temperament while maintaining his total commitment. All of which bodes really well for Manchester United, and particularly for England.

JOHN TERRY (Chelsea): He's been the cornerstone, not just of the Chelsea defence, but the whole foundations on which their success over the last couple of years has been built. He is, without looking for analogies, the one person you'd want alongside you in the trenches because he's strong, dependable, reliable and fearless. If things aren't going well, then he'll come up front and get a goal for you at a corner kick or free kick. And from that point of view he was a worthy winner of Players' Player of the Year award last year and, having had another good season, he's certainly making a strong defence of that title. A rock at the back for Chelsea, he'll be the same for England at the World Cup, I'm sure.
-----Newcastle United Fan-----
Xbox360 Tag - GhostHunterUk
User avatar
GhostHunterUk 26
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 17:54
Location: United Kingdom

Postby wassy2k » 12 Apr 2006, 15:37

Given.
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him well, Horatio
User avatar
wassy2k 72
 
Posts: 3749
Joined: 03 Mar 2003, 20:51
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Short-list For Player of the Year award for 2006.

Postby Corporate_sniper » 21 Apr 2006, 18:53

GhostHunterUk wrote:The PFA have announced their short-list for the coveted Players' Player of the Year award for 2006.

Chief executive Gordon Taylor has given his own thoughts on the six nominees

CONTENDERS:

JOE COLE (Chelsea): Joe Cole is a lad who we looked after in his younger days at West Ham, at a time when doubts were expressed as to whether he would be particularly good as a team player even though we always knew he had tremendous skills. But I think he's really adapted himself well: he's focused, he's started to get an old head on young shoulders, he's starting to work hard for the team - defensively as well in an attacking capacity - and I'm sure he can do a job for England in that problem position on the left-hand side. It would appear that Sven Goran Eriksson shares the same view.

STEVEN GERRARD (Liverpool): He's a bit special isn't he? Last year's Champions League final has to go down as one of the greatest games of all-time - and a combination of Steven's leadership skills and Jamie Carragher's defensive qualities, set up an unlikely Liverpool win, the likes of which I never thought I would see against Milan. At half time everybody - me included - was hoping for damage limitation but what impressed everybody was not just the spirit of Liverpool team, but the way Steven led from the front. It's no surprise that he's been wanted by virtually every manager in the world, but he's remained loyal to Liverpool and I'm really glad they're maintaining their success because that's good for him and good for the club.

THIERRY HENRY (Arsenal): A two-times winner of this award, Thierry Henry is just a class act. Pure and simple. When people ask me about star quality I think it's really very hard to define but with Thierry Henry, when he steps onto the pitch, you can see instantly that he's got the lot. Like a great singer, as soon as he opens his mouth, or a great actor the moment he delivers his first line. Not only is he a quality footballer, he's a quality person. We've seen that in the way he has led the Arsenal youngsters into Europe when things haven't gone so well domestically. Having been our Player of our Year for two out of the last three years, I think he's unfortunate not to have been World Player of the Year because he's up there with the very best.

FRANK LAMPARD (Chelsea): The first name on the Chelsea team-sheet and probably now one of the first names on the England team-sheet too. He's improved his game so much over the last few seasons and his development has been down to sheer hard work and dedication. I think he's every father's idea of a perfect son! Not only is he a good lad, he's a great footballer and to get the goals he's got from midfield is indicative of the way he's worked at every aspect of his game. He's top quality. He was well-rewarded last year as the Football Writers' Player of the Year - as well as our own Fans' Player of the Year - and I am delighted to see him in the nominations once again for the Players' Player award.

WAYNE ROONEY (Manchester United): Wayne is special. International players from all over the globe voted him as the World Young Player of the Year, which illustrates how his qualities have been recognised worldwide. His development under Sir Alex has been great to see and he has been such a key part of a United side which has won the Carling Cup and, of late, has mounted a belated challenge to Chelsea in the race for the Premiership title. For a young man he's got such strength and it's all allied to great skill and perception. He's starting to show a lot more maturity too which I'm really pleased about. When you think he might be wound up by opponents, he's learned to count to ten and control that side of his temperament while maintaining his total commitment. All of which bodes really well for Manchester United, and particularly for England.

JOHN TERRY (Chelsea): He's been the cornerstone, not just of the Chelsea defence, but the whole foundations on which their success over the last couple of years has been built. He is, without looking for analogies, the one person you'd want alongside you in the trenches because he's strong, dependable, reliable and fearless. If things aren't going well, then he'll come up front and get a goal for you at a corner kick or free kick. And from that point of view he was a worthy winner of Players' Player of the Year award last year and, having had another good season, he's certainly making a strong defence of that title. A rock at the back for Chelsea, he'll be the same for England at the World Cup, I'm sure.


Where's Rio. . .
User avatar
Corporate_sniper 59
 
Posts: 919
Joined: 31 Jul 2002, 18:07
Location: Ireland

Postby renegade_angel » 21 Apr 2006, 18:57

I think I'd go with Steven Gerrard, without him Liverpool wouldn't be anywhere near 3rd place.

Only other player who has performed as consistently well throughout the whole season is Terry.
Gamertag: PacDan
User avatar
renegade_angel 65
 
Posts: 1700
Joined: 02 Feb 2002, 15:16
Location: Your Mothers Bedroom

Postby User removed » 22 Apr 2006, 00:43

It could be any of Gerrard, Rooney or Terry for me. Even though I'd still like the great man Thierry Henry to win it. Again.:D
User removed
 

Postby User removed » 22 Apr 2006, 12:45

Wheres shearer?
User removed
 

Postby wassy2k » 22 Apr 2006, 12:53

Don't be daft. He's the best player the league has ever seen but he's been naff since Bellers left.
Given though, has been outstanding all season. So has parker, but they don't play in london, or for Man Utd or Liverpool, so they're nackered.
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him well, Horatio
User avatar
wassy2k 72
 
Posts: 3749
Joined: 03 Mar 2003, 20:51
Location: United Kingdom

Postby User removed » 22 Apr 2006, 13:36

matty_jp wrote:Wheres shearer?


Shearer doesn't deserve f**k all. He's a conning bastard that will without a doubt retire now so that his last ever goal will go down in history, which was against Sunderland.

He's that much of a bastard I'd put £1000 on him doing just that.
User removed
 

Postby dinsfire » 22 Apr 2006, 14:14

Gerrard, because he's big and he's f**kin 'ard

As the famous rhyme goes
User avatar
dinsfire 64
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: 22 Apr 2004, 18:54
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Dinsfire

Postby User removed » 22 Apr 2006, 19:46

wassy2k wrote:Don't be daft. He's the best player the league has ever seen but he's been naff since Bellers left.
Given though, has been outstanding all season. So has parker, but they don't play in london, or for Man Utd or Liverpool, so they're nackered.


Would also prolly help if they were nearer the top of league or won something once in a while...:P

I go for Gerrard or Terry
User removed
 

Postby GhostHunterUk » 24 Apr 2006, 19:44

Gerrard won it
-----Newcastle United Fan-----
Xbox360 Tag - GhostHunterUk
User avatar
GhostHunterUk 26
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 17:54
Location: United Kingdom

Postby dinsfire » 24 Apr 2006, 21:07

And Wayne Rooney got Young Player of the Year. :roll:
User avatar
dinsfire 64
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: 22 Apr 2004, 18:54
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Dinsfire

Postby wassy2k » 24 Apr 2006, 21:59

joefish2002 wrote:
wassy2k wrote:Don't be daft. He's the best player the league has ever seen but he's been naff since Bellers left.
Given though, has been outstanding all season. So has parker, but they don't play in london, or for Man Utd or Liverpool, so they're nackered.


Would also prolly help if they were nearer the top of league or won something once in a while...:P

I go for Gerrard or Terry


We're 6th.
Joint 6th.
Considering we had that moron in charge for 3/4 of the season, I think that's testament to the players we have.
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him well, Horatio
User avatar
wassy2k 72
 
Posts: 3749
Joined: 03 Mar 2003, 20:51
Location: United Kingdom

Postby mike397 » 24 Apr 2006, 23:33

joefish2002 wrote:
wassy2k wrote:Don't be daft. He's the best player the league has ever seen but he's been naff since Bellers left.
Given though, has been outstanding all season. So has parker, but they don't play in london, or for Man Utd or Liverpool, so they're nackered.


Would also prolly help if they were nearer the top of league or won something once in a while...:P

I go for Gerrard or Terry


Lmao.
User avatar
mike397 68
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 10:06
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]