to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Australian Open

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Australian Open

Postby JedHawk » 21 Jan 2006, 19:44

Okay, I love tennis.

Now then, of course, we don't have anyone to beat Federer, and he is literally getting even better in his game in order to maintain his impeccable standards.
So, unfortunately, there was no Safin, no Nadal, no Agassi.
However, I believed this was a chance for players like Ljubicic, Ancic, Coria and Lopez to shine. Unfortunately, only Ljubicic remains out of them, and amazingly, despite the fact he reached the final of the masters series, he has never exceeded the 4th round of a grand slam tournament.
Grosjean's victory over Coria was pleasing though. Ferrer's mauling of Ancic caught me with a large shock.

That Chela guy, he's a very good player. I think it's fitting that Andy Murray lost to him, but not in the fashion he did :(

Women's side. Both Williams out, I am keenly watching for a comeback to the top of the belgians, especially Henin-Hardenne. However, Hingis has been quite in form, her tactical play is astounding, and her route through this tournament has been set up perfectly so to speak, moreso as Pierce got beat before they met. She has another unseeded opponent next, then a clash with possibly Clijsters. But Hingis is ranked 349 in the world. She won't win, but she is defintely back. She's a clever player. And she CAN beat the number one, Davenport.
Last edited by JedHawk on 22 Jan 2006, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
I see chemically imbalanced people
JedHawk 52

Xbox Live: JedHawk

Postby User removed » 22 Jan 2006, 03:04

Only thing that's interested me in tennis this last week or so is Jelena Dokic (hot diggity damn!) and the Murray nonsense. The tabloids love to build up our hopes just to destroy them so they can have something to write about later.

I don't know why they do it but personally I can't stand it, they should leave Andy Murray and Eriksson alone.
User removed

Postby paper_yoshi » 22 Jan 2006, 10:27

Roddick lost to Baghdatis (ranked 54th) today 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Ah well, there goes an interesting final :|, Federer'll win it now though it would be nice to have another upset, this Grand Slam has been full of them so far.
paper_yoshi 64

Postby darth_diggler » 22 Jan 2006, 16:42

Terrahawk_ wrote:Only thing that's interested me in tennis this last week or so is Jelena Dokic (hot diggity damn!) and the Murray nonsense.

You're a titman I gather 8)

Murray...? Who?
darth_diggler 21

Postby User removed » 22 Jan 2006, 22:22

darth_diggler wrote:
Terrahawk_ wrote:Only thing that's interested me in tennis this last week or so is Jelena Dokic (hot diggity damn!) and the Murray nonsense.

You're a titman I gather 8)

Murray...? Who?

She really does have a spectacular set of norks. Since she got rid of that mole on her face a while back she looks damn fine too. She's my favourite er... tennis player, you know because of her sublime ars... I mean tennis skillz. Yes that's it.
User removed

terradiggla wants jelena bad

Postby JedHawk » 23 Jan 2006, 18:48

So, Federer is in near perfect form yet again as he brushed Haas down, despite the German's fantastic show of form. The 4th set contained high quality rallies and winners, volleys too! Yet Haas's brilliance was just not enough.

Nalbandian and Ljubicic could possibly contend, but not against Roger today.

Matrina Hingis on the other hand managed to get to grips with her match point chances and pursue a quarter final clash against 2nd seed Kim Clijsters. Clijsters is quite on form, yet she makes mistakes when pushed. If Hingis plays her best, she could be quite troublesome with her clever gameplan against the fierce topspin groundstrokes. Otherwise, I really want Henin to beat Davenport. I was gutted when Henin dropped out for months with injury.
JedHawk 52

Re: terradiggla wants jelena bad

Postby softy12 » 23 Jan 2006, 21:04

Great match today between Haas and Federer.Haas looked out of it in the first two sets and Roger was just impeccable.However,he fought well but just wasn't good enough.I hope its a Nalbandian-Federer final(not sure if they're going to meet before though)as the Masters Cup final was an epic.

On the womens side,Hingis looked in cruise control in the first set then got extremely tense and was nearly taken to a decider.Against Clisters,she will be well beaten with a performance like that in the second set.

Men's winner will be Federer and the women's,its between Clisters,Henin-Hardenne and Davenport.
Currently Playing:
Nothing
softy12 42

Postby JedHawk » 25 Jan 2006, 15:43

The women's game has gone passed the rubbish thrashings. That's the thing with the women's game, if someone is miles higher in ranking than another player, you will rarely see a 3 setter that went the distance. But now the seeds are facing eachother, we have had a treat and continue to do so. Davenport's exit to Henin-Hardenne was welcomed, although Lindsay struggled with ankle problems. Clijsters pulled a great 3 setter over Hingis, depsite the plentiful supply of unforced errors. I just noticed, that if we consider Mauresmo as a light hair coloured person, the other 3 semi finalists are all blonde/light. What does that mean? Okay nothing, but still.

Men's game. Federer has been pushed well yet again. Davydenko was able to front the force of Federer and take a strong lead in the first set. With plenty of chances to go further, to go 2-1 up, he missed all of the set points due to the world number 1's pressure. In the end, federer's fitness remained at top level, undeterred, and the 5th seed couldn't keep up. But another tie break was forced after fantastic rallies and passing shots. Federer's most difficult route to the final of a tournament has finally been established. He has had a fight in the last 16, the quarters, will face another in the semis, and of course, the final shouldn't be a walkover. We hope.
JedHawk 52

Postby darth_diggler » 25 Jan 2006, 18:54

Belgians for t3h win. Not Clijsters though, I hate that fat ugly bitch.
darth_diggler 21

Postby JedHawk » 26 Jan 2006, 16:59

Well, you got your wish. It will be Justine Henin-Hardenne(BEL) vs Amelie Mauresmo(FRA).
Clijsters and Sharapova were dismissed in the semis in impressive fashion.

As for the men's final. Wow, what a stunning victory for Marcos Bagdhatis(CYP) in a five set lengthy match over David Nalbandian(ARG). He'll go on to face either Federer(SUI) or Nicolas Kiefer(GER) as the second semi is played out in under 20 hours time. Hopefully, the rain won't leak through the roof of the Rod Laver stadium.
JedHawk 52

Postby User removed » 26 Jan 2006, 17:47

Dokic's pretty fit, but Christ she's ugly, she looks like that blonde thing off Shameless (the skank off Dinnerladies).
User removed

Postby rjcanty » 26 Jan 2006, 19:20

RapidBadger wrote:Dokic's pretty fit, but Christ she's ugly

:?
rjcanty 62

Postby darth_diggler » 26 Jan 2006, 19:52

Nice use of the " :? " smilie there :wink:
darth_diggler 21

Postby rjcanty » 26 Jan 2006, 20:35

Thanks...
rjcanty 62

Postby darth_diggler » 28 Jan 2006, 12:40

So Mauresman won when Henin forfeit because of stomach pains.

Mauresman - despite participating in the wrong gender class - had three bitches quit against her in 7 matches, this way I could win the australian open aswell.
darth_diggler 21

Next