to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Commonwealth games

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Commonwealth games

Postby User removed » 16 Mar 2006, 14:33

I just got back from watching the Rugby 7's... Exciting stuff, especially with some real underdog fights (Uganda beating Tonga, who had beaten South Africa earlier). I was wondering if its being given any attention up in the North? There seemed to be quite a few of you poms in the stadium tonight, made yourselves heard when Oz played England...

The only reason you won was cause the ref's a wanker :P
User removed

Postby deedee87 » 16 Mar 2006, 15:14

I watched the Scotland - Canada match at 3 o'clock in the morning cos I couldn't sleep. Was a bit crap cos we lost.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
deedee87 61

Postby shaf_j » 16 Mar 2006, 18:29

The Commonwealth games are like Sports Day at school. You only go to watch the little kid that you know, you cheer for them, then once their race is done you dont gice a s**t for anyone else and wait ill its home time.
shaf_j 68

Postby dinsfire » 16 Mar 2006, 22:14

It only seemed interesting when it was in Manchester. I went to see the table tennis at the 2002 Commonwealth games.
dinsfire 64

Xbox Live: Dinsfire

Postby JedHawk » 17 Mar 2006, 00:18

The world's competitors aren't there. the chinese for the gymnastics, the US for the track and field. It's an odd games, I've always thought. Still, I can cheer for muffins until my throat goes dry.
Ah well, at least Melbourne economy should bolster strongly over the next 2, 3 years due to this event. Manchester still has a vibe to it.
I see chemically imbalanced people
JedHawk 52

Xbox Live: JedHawk

Postby Beats12 » 17 Mar 2006, 00:38

The Australians aren't bad at swimming and neither are the scots, it seems! Go Scotland.
Beats12 65

Re: Commonwealth games

Postby User removed » 17 Mar 2006, 12:53

I thinks it's great that the people of Australia are getting behind and supporting the Commonwealth games in such good numbers.
I really like the Australian attitude to sport.

What a opening ceremony too !
User removed

Postby User removed » 17 Mar 2006, 13:28

England won some medals today, didn't they?
User removed

Postby User removed » 17 Mar 2006, 13:38

matty_jp wrote:England won some medals today, didn't they?

I don't know ?

Last thing i saw was England winning against New Zealand in the Hockey, whether they won the match i don't know.
User removed

Postby User removed » 17 Mar 2006, 13:43

England won gold and silver in some event, swimming or something. I was told this though, I don't watch it.
User removed

Postby Beats12 » 18 Mar 2006, 14:42

I think the home nations have won a whole heap of medals in the pool. They've also won some medals in things like the cycling.
Beats12 65

Postby User removed » 18 Mar 2006, 21:47

Beats12 wrote:I think the home nations have won a whole heap of medals in the pool. They've also won some medals in things like the cycling.

Yee Ha...... The British entries have turned into fish.

So far it seems to me that most honours are being split between us than our cousins down under.
In a competitive sense i wonder if we (UK) will win more than down under overall at the end of the games, seeing they like to kick our butts with regards to anything which involves sport.
User removed

Postby User removed » 18 Mar 2006, 23:26

AGuru wrote:
Beats12 wrote:I think the home nations have won a whole heap of medals in the pool. They've also won some medals in things like the cycling.

Yee Ha...... The British entries have turned into fish.

So far it seems to me that most honours are being split between us than our cousins down under.
In a competitive sense i wonder if we (UK) will win more than down under overall at the end of the games, seeing they like to kick our butts with regards to anything which involves sport.

And we do too! :P

But sometimes we do go overboard with passion, like that poor Englishman who got beaten up in the stadium...His bloody attackers said he was "cheering too loudly" for supporting England. Like he said, we'd expect some pom-bashing, just not physical stuff.
User removed

Postby Beats12 » 18 Mar 2006, 23:45

Was just watching a program about the future of british sport, and how we're trying to copy the aussie attitude towards producing world clas athletes. Anyhoo, there was this 11 year year old diver who managed to qualify for these games, but was too young :(.

I say they should have let him go, if just for the novelty value.:D
Beats12 65

Postby User removed » 19 Mar 2006, 00:05

We had a 13 year old diver... Whats the minimum?
User removed

Next