to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PC Crashes!!! Monitor shuts down system still running!

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PC Crashes!!! Monitor shuts down system still running!

Postby User removed » 08 Nov 2007, 18:36

As you can guess from the title thats the main problem.

When playing games on my system depending upon how ddemanding it is the monitor looses its signal but the system is still running.

i have tried updating all drivers and windows updates but nithing.

My System is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200
Asus M2V Motherboard
MSI 8600gt 256mb(heatsink Version)
2 gig ddr2 533 corsair ram
550 watt power supply

I am running Vista Ultimate and i have tried running the card on directx 9 & 10 and also tried different nvidia drivers.

I am not sure what is tripping out on the system, it could be the card but it is meant to be able to be overclocked a bit but i have not touched it.

any sudgestions? or programs to try and find the problem with??
User removed

Postby User removed » 08 Nov 2007, 18:51

Have you got another monitor that you could try? Or a different cable? Check all the cable connections, and that the graphics card is properly seated, and that none of the pins are bent or anything.
User removed

Postby User removed » 08 Nov 2007, 23:38

cheers for the reply.

I will try all you ideas in the morning and update from there.

in regards to the gpu yes it is passive. I dont have any temp sensing software, can you recomend any?

When the monitor shuts off i get sound for a bit then it shuts off eventually.

I can play guildwars none stop and cs:s, its when i try call of duty 4 demo and crysis demo or even playing sims 2. i have tried playing crysis in a window and it get to play for a little while and then it cuts out.

I have just remembered once or twice when this has happen the computer has reset its self so could that mean cpu overheating?? i just used the stock fan with the thermal paste pre-applied. bad idea??
User removed

Postby User removed » 09 Nov 2007, 00:03

As long as you aren't overclocking, passive cooling and stock fans should be alright. If you are, then I'd be looking at reapplying the thermal paste yourself, and getting a good quality fan, maybe even two just to get the air moving through your case.
User removed

Postby User removed » 09 Nov 2007, 03:01

I have a friend who suffered a similar problem, and you will not believe what it was, but anyhow, here goes:

Exact same problem, except it wasn't an issue of playing games - the guy hates games - but the monitor would just power off, with only the standby light on. The computer was working.

We tried combinations of (and you should too, if you have spare parts!):

- different monitors
- different graphics cards
- different PCs

none of this worked. I then suggested he bring his PC and monitor to my home (I have enough spare parts to build at least seven PCs) so we could tinker with the problem. Strangely, as soon as I connected his computer, everything worked without a hitch!

I drew this very unlikely conclusion, which proved to be right: He had "bad" electricity. Sure enough, when we went back to his place, we connected his computer and monitor to another power outlet, and voila!

He paid an electrician to fix the power outlet and everything worked fine from then on.

Bear in mind this was the same power outlet he was using for several years, and never gave him any problems before.

My suggestion? Plug it in another power outlet - just to see. It sounds mad, and electricity *should* be electricity, but in this case, it did make a difference.
User removed

Postby User removed » 09 Nov 2007, 12:57

a little bit of an update.....

My cpu idle/no work load temp i8s at around 30 degrees, buit i did notice that when i tried to run crysis demo with a few configuration changes my
12v rail dropped to 11v could this be part of the problem?

these are my voltage readouts...

Vcore 1.38v
3.3v rail 3.31v
5.0v rail 4.9v
12.0v r4ail 11.13v

cpu fan speed apporx 8500 - 8700rpm

If it is the psu would this power supply be any good?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124922
I am working to a budget....

cheers for the help
User removed

Postby lmimmfn » 14 Nov 2007, 15:29

By PC still running are you sure its still running?, and that its not crashed and the soundcard just repeating whatever's in its buffer? quick way of testing is to play mp3's get it to crash and see if it moves on to the next song etc.
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby User removed » 14 Nov 2007, 17:30

its more like whats still in its buffer i think, the reason i say still running is that i can hear all the fans still running.

At the moment it crashes whilst playing cod4, crysis, cs:s and the sims 2.

It doesnt crash during Guildwars.....

Is it due to the graphical demands of the above games or some coding that my computer doesnt like. over the next few days i am going to try an install of xp and my other harddrive to see if it works ok on that and to make sure its not a vista problem.

oh and in one of my above posts i said that my cpu fan is running at around 8000+ rev but when look now it inky doing around the 3500revs mark. i dont know if i miss read it on the other post or if it has just dropped. if it has dropped cpu overheating probs whilst in games??? what is a good fan speed at idle or in general??
User removed

Postby lmimmfn » 14 Nov 2007, 19:36

ok, you have a hardware problem, test the cpu temps running orthos( blend test at priority 9 ) for a few hours and coretemp.exe and let us know the temp. That should at least indicate if the CPU & mem are stable & temps are ok for cpu

Next, run the 3d test( spinny cube ) in atitool( works for nvidia cards too ) and leave it running for an hour, if it doesnt crash, let us know the temps

Of course you could have the same problem as i have with my 8800GT, it crashes in certain games, hanging pc, sound buffer looping, i sussed that it wont work properly at the stock mem speeds so i underclocked it using rivatuner and hey presto, works a charm( still RMA'ing the card though :) )
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby User removed » 14 Nov 2007, 19:49

going back to your first paragraph....

is that orthos thing in prime 95???

prime95 doe not have my mobo listed so i cant find temp sensors. and where do i find coretemp.exe?? is that a windows file or from a program??
User removed

Postby lmimmfn » 15 Nov 2007, 14:54

soundwave740 wrote:going back to your first paragraph....

is that orthos thing in prime 95???

prime95 doe not have my mobo listed so i cant find temp sensors. and where do i find coretemp.exe?? is that a windows file or from a program??

orthos is a tool similar to prime95 except you dont have to run 2 instances if you have a dual core etc.
Speed fan might be able to give you your temperature readings, coretemp.exe will give the temp of the cores. Actually TAT is better overall at stressing your CPU

Google coretemp and you'll get the download site
lmimmfn 61

Postby corsair47 » 05 Jun 2008, 18:22

i'm having the same problem except i hear sound and it dosent automatically restart, so i don't know if this will help, but reinstalling the driver for my monitor.

good luck m8
corsair47 16

Postby bigtallanddopey » 05 Jun 2008, 21:54

i didnt see if you posted any graphics card temps. try using nvidia monitor (google it) to get graphics card temps. you say your cpu idle is 30 which is ok and i wouldnt imagine it will get too high under stress unless your coolers broken or youve overclocked. is there any warning signs before it does this ie. strange artifacts on the screen or any noises. another possibility is the psu, maybe its getting too hot and not supplying the wanted power. open up your case and check all fans are running, opening up your case will also help to see whether it is temps by giving better air cerculation.
bigtallanddopey 57

Postby lmimmfn » 06 Jun 2008, 01:13

corsair47 wrote:i'm having the same problem except i hear sound and it dosent automatically restart, so i don't know if this will help, but reinstalling the driver for my monitor.

good luck m8

your gfx card is clocked too high( now it may have happened over time or been there from scratch just particular game is pushing it too much ) or overheating, its a common symptom, sound buffer will keep looping but PC is locked

Use ATITool and 3D spinny cube for 30 minutes and see if it reproduces the hang, if not, use Rivatuner and underclock the card, try mem first and see if that fixes it, if not try core and leave mem at default, if that doesnt work try both

My 8800GT has to be underclocked from when i got it for it to be stable, otherwise i get the same issues as yourself
lmimmfn 61

Postby corsair47 » 07 Jun 2008, 17:27

my gfx cards temp is in normal range...
and the cube didn't cause the hang
I searched the net to see if i could find a solution...
and i found this:
"The problem is caused by having a standard default drivers rather than the correct Plug and Play driver. To fix the problem please locate and install the correct driver for your particular monitor."

I found a site that has monitor drivers that i can download:
http://www.monitor-drivers.com/

hope that helps...
corsair47 16

Next