Tomb Raider review: Killer reboot gets (almost) everything r

Your comments on our articles.

Lara's not the star - the brilliantly-realised island is...

Over seventeen years, the Tomb Raider series has consistently failed to recapture the magic of its brilliant debut. The smart, mysterious original saw you isolated and alone, drawn deeper and deeper into dark chasms, with no idea what was coming up next (dinosaurs!), and nothing for company but the occasional reassuring grunt from heroine Lara Croft.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Tomb Raider review: Killer reboot gets (almost) everythi

Postby flash501 » 25 Feb 2013, 23:29

Being a third person cover shooter with ott set pieces, personally, I've always thought Uncharted had a lot more in common with Gears than it does with Tomb Raider.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby FixBeatGames » 25 Feb 2013, 23:37

why is everyone arguing about tomb raider -vs- uncharted? they both stole their format from indiana jones anyway :lol:
FixBeatGames 41

Postby corky20 » 26 Feb 2013, 00:17

flash501 wrote:Two 9s in two reviews. Good stuff. I was beginnind to get a slight nagging feeling that this would be a bit of a disappointment but it looks like I was wrong.

A survivior is born! :mrgreen:

I would never decide whether to buy a game based on Critic reviews like these... most of them are biased. Better to wait for the user reviews on Metacritic!
corky20 26

Postby flash501 » 26 Feb 2013, 00:18

I thought Metacritic was the biggest joke on the internet?!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Onomatopoeia » 26 Feb 2013, 00:21

corky20 wrote:I would never decide whether to buy a game based on Critic reviews like these... most of them are biased. Better to wait for the user reviews on Metacritic!

Metacritic is plagued with marketers. It's best to just watch a play through on Youtube with no commentary and come to a decision like that.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby Down with robots » 26 Feb 2013, 00:50

I own every other Tomb Raider game, but have absolutely no interest in this re-reboot because it is now as far away from the original games as can possibly be. I don't think I'll even bother picking it up for a few quid in a few years time either. While Crystal Dynamics have been in charge, they've been too busy chasing the latest trend rather than setting one themselves.
Down with robots 52

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 26 Feb 2013, 05:20

It seems to be like this game is going to be categorized similar to the new Hitman. It looks like a solid game, yet it doesn't stay loyal to the fanbase. From the videos I saw about this game, I was impressed especially since it's an open world game. Sadly my money is short, so I will have to savor it for Last of Us and/or Bioshock Infinite. And wait for the price of this game to drop.
1Nightmare1 52

Postby HelloLadies » 26 Feb 2013, 06:09

If this game is anything like the new Hitman then they should send Lara and 47 away to play a game of Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Thankfully im not as invested in the Tomb Raider series as the Hitman one so I might give this game a whirl at some stage.
HelloLadies 53

Postby yourmumwasfun » 26 Feb 2013, 15:11

ricflair wrote:I don't know what it is about the game, but I've just not been able to muster any excitement for it. I've seen an 8 from EG, 8.5 from Destructoid, which still haven't really got me excited. A 9, especially from this site, does nothing either.

Gay.
yourmumwasfun 49

Postby illage2 » 26 Feb 2013, 15:46

O_O ....... I was gonna get this but after seeing that fire is assigned to the left trigger you can bloody forget it. Just joking, I might pick this one up.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Marlonjb » 26 Feb 2013, 16:24

Sad that the makers felt the need to include C.O.D. style gunplay for the casual idiots when it should have focused on making this a strict Tomb Raider game. Still I'm not gonna knock it as I'm definitely gonna pick it up. I'm just finding it kinda sad that now gunplay is a mandatory gaming requirement like co op and multiplayer.
If people are talking behind your back it's only because they cant talk to your face. PS3, Xbox360 Elite and Wii Owner so the lame ass "Fanboy" BS wont work on me. Do not bother!
Marlonjb 38

Postby Drusus » 27 Feb 2013, 19:42

Is there an embargo on the reviews? A lot of sites haven't posted reviews yet.

I hope this is a great game but I saw it running this week and it looked incredibly linear, there was even a big QTE in the bit I saw. Going to wait for a month before picking this up.

Edit, holy fudge the embargo lifted on the 25th. Does that mean this is.....good?
Drusus 59

Postby cowboybibop » 05 Mar 2013, 10:30

Bambis Dad wrote:
funkyjack wrote:It reads like a 7 or an 8, definitely wasn't expecting a 9, and I seriously doubt it beats Uncharted 2 or 3...

Unconvinced.

Uncharted 2 is terrible if you ask me and that got great reviews.

You my friend are condemned to the hell of bad people that trash good games.

:D
cowboybibop 32

Postby Reegeee » 10 Mar 2013, 02:34

darry wrote:
Funkymonk wrote:I agree onomatopoeia. On the surface it seems that Uncharted was influenced by Tomb Raider but once you start playing Uncharted properly you realise that it is really very different.

It certainly is a very different game, but to say it wasn't influenced by it is nonsense. What other game could you more strongly compare it to?

I know the idea of Uncharted is very similar to Tomb Raider, but for me it always had more in common with Prince of Persia. Linear levels that involve lots of platforming punctuated by combat, rather than the open ended exploration Tomb Raider had.

I found the old Tomb Raider games dull as shite, so this is a welcome change for me. IMO the game is just superb.
Reegeee 75

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby dwhlufc » 10 Mar 2013, 08:00

Its quite funny reading back through these comments after playing the finished product. People moaning about CoD style gunplay, and that it looks linear! :lol:

Anyone who's played it will appreciate how the game lets you deal with situations how you want (stealth or a shoot-out) and that its anything but linear, giving you the option to go where you want instead of walking down a corridor until the next big set piece.
dwhlufc 76

PreviousNext