to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Tomb Raider review: Killer reboot gets (almost) everything r

Your comments on our articles.

Lara's not the star - the brilliantly-realised island is...

Over seventeen years, the Tomb Raider series has consistently failed to recapture the magic of its brilliant debut. The smart, mysterious original saw you isolated and alone, drawn deeper and deeper into dark chasms, with no idea what was coming up next (dinosaurs!), and nothing for company but the occasional reassuring grunt from heroine Lara Croft.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Tomb Raider review: Killer reboot gets (almost) everythi

Postby Bambis Dad » 25 Feb 2013, 18:28

funkyjack wrote:It reads like a 7 or an 8, definitely wasn't expecting a 9, and I seriously doubt it beats Uncharted 2 or 3...

Unconvinced.

Uncharted 2 is terrible if you ask me and that got great reviews.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Currychips » 25 Feb 2013, 18:45

I was going to pick this up on release but I'm still playing through Ni No Kuni.
By the time I've polished off that gem Tomb Raider will probably be a little cheaper! So win win really.

May even pick this up and Metal Gear Sword swash. Loads of good games so early on this year, next gen smext schmen.
Do you want Chilli on that?
Currychips 48

Xbox Live: Mr Cheesefinger
PSN ID: westypie

Postby TheLastDodo » 25 Feb 2013, 18:52

Only just seen it's not out til the following Friday. Thanks for getting me all worked up CVG.

if I spend all my shopto reward points I can get it for 27 quid
TheLastDodo 77

Postby tanukilou » 25 Feb 2013, 19:09

Might get this one day down the line but not revved for it. I'm getting tired of same-old cliche characters and dialogue straight from the Hollywood for beginners manual, Looking for things a bit more off-the-wall these days. Probably get it when it drops later in the year.
tanukilou 47

Postby wwinterj » 25 Feb 2013, 19:13

I'll buy this at some point. Good reviews and the game looks great.
wwinterj 50

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby Cazy008 » 25 Feb 2013, 19:24

I was on the fence over this new Tomb Raider but after watching Gametrailers' review, although they gave it an 8.5, I agreed with all the negatives and realised that it seems as though after the first couple of hours maybe, the game basically turns into a standard shooter and all of a sudden Lara is a seasoned killer rather than a vulnerable girl like she is meant to be in the game..

That with the fact that there are few tombs to raid.. you know, why it is called tomb raider and not Lara's Island or something, has made me decide to give it a miss.
Cazy008 50

Xbox Live: caz7595
PSN ID: Cazy008

Postby Onomatopoeia » 25 Feb 2013, 19:28

There's too much hand holding in this game.

Lara goes in stealth automatically
Why not leave it to the player?
QTEs
One too many
It's a Survival game!
Why put in regenerating health?

It could have been so much more if it cut out the crap like 'solve puzzle' vision and let the player figure everything out on his/her own. It doesn't and it loses potential. It's just Uncharted with less hand holding and a woman in the lead.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby theideal » 25 Feb 2013, 19:40

ricflair wrote:I don't know what it is about the game, but I've just not been able to muster any excitement for it. I've seen an 8 from EG, 8.5 from Destructoid, which still haven't really got me excited. A 9, especially from this site, does nothing either.

Snap. I'm a big TR fan - more so than Uncharted - I love the puzzles, tomb raiding and lack of fighting, which seems like the parts this game doesn't quite get right. I'll probably give it a go when it hits the bargain bins but I really didn't want it to be Uncharted, we already have good versions of that.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Postby Barry316 » 25 Feb 2013, 20:08

El Mag wrote:Is this the review from the new issue of Gamesmaster, cos they say a lot of things the same. Like full paragraphs.

It's out next week isn't it? I kept thinking it was the 15th of March for some reason. Either something else is out that day or I've forgot somebody's birthday again.

It's God of War that's the 15th i think. My birthday is before that, don't forget now.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby runadumb » 25 Feb 2013, 21:07

I'm looking forward to it so I'm glad to hear the positive reviews. I was worried it was going to be one long QTE.

While I really liked both Legends and Underworld (I hated anniversary for whatever reason) I'm ready for a reboot.
runadumb 62

Postby FixBeatGames » 25 Feb 2013, 21:18

hmm, everything i've seen of this game so far has done nothing but put me off it. the animation seems jerky, the exciting parts unexciting and in all the promo videos heavy featuring of QTEs.

yet all the reviews say the opposite of what i've seen in these videos.

as a huge TR1 and 2 and Legend fan, i will have to at least hire this. the lack of tomb 'gripe' in the review is worrying though. IT'S CALLED TOMB RAIDER FFS
FixBeatGames 41

Postby darry » 25 Feb 2013, 21:24

Onomatopoeia wrote:It's just Uncharted with less hand holding and a woman in the lead.

Five years ago this comment would have read "Uncharted is just Tomb Raider with more hand holding and a man in the lead."
darry 55

Postby Onomatopoeia » 25 Feb 2013, 22:11

darry wrote:
Five years ago this comment would have read "Uncharted is just Tomb Raider with more hand holding and a man in the lead."

But that was never the case. Uncharted revolved around huge set pieces and has the odd small puzzle, it also is linear. Tomb Raider of old was none of that it had exploration, puzzle solving, no hand holding like Uncharted has if anything Drake is more Indiana Jones than Lara Croft. The sad thing is Uncharted has done so well Tomb Raider is trying so hard to be something it shouldn't be and that's another Uncharted.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby Funkymonk » 25 Feb 2013, 22:29

I agree onomatopoeia. On the surface it seems that Uncharted was influenced by Tomb Raider but once you start playing Uncharted properly you realise that it is really very different.
Funkymonk 31

Postby darry » 25 Feb 2013, 23:01

Funkymonk wrote:I agree onomatopoeia. On the surface it seems that Uncharted was influenced by Tomb Raider but once you start playing Uncharted properly you realise that it is really very different.

It certainly is a very different game, but to say it wasn't influenced by it is nonsense. What other game could you more strongly compare it to?

Also, saying Drake is more like Indiana Jones is just taking the comparison back another step - Lara was clearly born from his image in the first place.

They tried to evlove Tomb Raider in a few different ways, and none of them really worked. This game seems to be scoring 8/10+ reviews across the board, so I'd say it was the most positive step for the franchise in the last ten years.
darry 55

PreviousNext