to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Crysis 3 review: An enjoyable shooter elevated by staggering

Your comments on our articles.

The gulf between PC and console versions is titanic

The Crysis series has always been defined by bleeding-edge tech, each instalment a lucid demonstration of apex videogame visuals and the great pulsing brain powering successive CryEngines. In Crysis 3 we have the pinnacle - the undisputed best-looking game of all time - but beneath the glitz, Crytek's shooter isn't quite as progressive as it seems.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Crysis 3 review: An enjoyable shooter elevated by stagge

Postby clayf1ghter » 19 Feb 2013, 15:58

I really enjoyed the first one but thought the second was gash.I've got enough money to buy one game this week was gonna get this but after reading reviews I'm not so sure now.

My choices are:

Crysis 3 - maybe more similar to 2 than 1 which puts me off
MGS Revengeance - maybe to hard, demo was nails (for me)
Persona 4 Golden - never played a JRPG before

Can't decide :(
clayf1ghter 44

Postby Reegeee » 19 Feb 2013, 16:09

5-6 hours seems a bit stingy for a Crysis game.

I'm really not a fan of the series much anyway to be honest, but I got almost 10 hours out of the last one so it sounds like it's been cut in half campaign wise.
Future wants to close CVG. Lets try and stop that with this petition Change.org
Reegeee 72

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby casshern09 » 19 Feb 2013, 16:23

"Only millionaires will max it out."

Got my

intel i7 3770K 4.6ghz
16GB DDR3 2600mhz
2 x GTX 680 SLI

ready to destroy it. *smug*
casshern09 37

Postby richomack360 » 19 Feb 2013, 16:31

casshern09 wrote:"Only millionaires will max it out."

Got my

intel i7 3770K 4.6ghz
16GB DDR3 2600mhz
2 x GTX 680 SLI

ready to destroy it. *smug*

Hey Ladies - we have a player amongst us....form a queue here.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby deadlydanscott » 19 Feb 2013, 16:33

clayf1ghter wrote:I really enjoyed the first one but thought the second was gash.I've got enough money to buy one game this week was gonna get this but after reading reviews I'm not so sure now.

My choices are:

Crysis 3 - maybe more similar to 2 than 1 which puts me off
MGS Revengeance - maybe to hard, demo was nails (for me)
Persona 4 Golden - never played a JRPG before

Can't decide :(

Depends if you think the MP could add anything for you for CY3??? That could add some depth. Certainly the single player in MGSRR is around the same length....obviously the JRPG is going to be a significantly different experience all round.

I am VERY late to the party but finally started Dark Souls:PTDE over the weekend. What a game that is! Brutal and brilliant. Think I'm set for a while for sure. Bioshock next game for me.
deadlydanscott 32

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Feb 2013, 16:40

Performance-wise on consoles will it be on a par with 2 or has it dipped? I assume by the massive gulf they mean the pc version looks amazing rather than the console version has taken a step backwards.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 68

Postby c97dem » 19 Feb 2013, 17:24

MagicBoughie24 wrote:I thought Alacatraz became Prophet at the end of the last one.

According to IGN's review, you are still Alcatraz and you meet Prophet in the dome
c97dem 54

Xbox Live: magic mugs
PSN ID: chenzee
Steam: thenephilim79

Postby clayf1ghter » 19 Feb 2013, 17:24

@ deadlydan thanks for your thoughts

Think I'll take a chance on Persona 4 it's gotten stella reviews, hopefully the learning curve won't be too steep for a JRPG noob.

Even the thought of playing dark souls makes me weep!!
clayf1ghter 44

Postby Imaduck » 19 Feb 2013, 17:42

Frankly it sounds like exactly what it should be. Sounds like it'll bring back fans of 1 and include fans of 2, good stuff.
Imaduck 58

Postby Agent75 » 19 Feb 2013, 17:48

StonecoldMC wrote:I missed out on Two, is this gonna be a problem?

Played the Demo on Live and actually quite enjoyed it!

Never got to play the first one which only came out on the PC. Insidently, it flopped because hardly anyone had a powerful PC to run it. The second one on the Xbox 360 and PS3 has framerate problems, but it's a poor game. The PC version will probably have better graphics and run better, but I bet it's the same gameplay wise. Will give Crysis 3 a go when it's under £10 used, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's more of the same. Like with a lot of games these days, I can never understand the hype after playing them.
Agent75 48

Postby sonic_uk » 19 Feb 2013, 18:28

I am nit-picking but another thing I don't like is that the hud now shows you the icon of the other weapon you are carrying (and not the one you are using) but shows you the ammo count for the weapon you are using just above it. At first I thought this was a major bug when I first saw it in the Beta. This is confusing and you begin to wonder at times in the heat of battle if its actually showing you how much ammo you have in your secondary weapon at times when you forget how this actually works (in the previous games it showed you your currently equipped weapon and its ammo count). Oh, and psycho doesn't look or sound anything like he did in Warhead or Crysis. He has a competely different face and reminds me of a film where they got someone else to play a lead character in one of the sequels. Worse, he sounds like an american actor trying to sound like what he actually thinks british people sound like.
sammikid wrote:
sonic_uk wrote:
As for playing on Hard - no thanks. I'll play it on Easy first time (and probably every time after that). I find hard modes just frustrating and tedious. I am surprised at the lack of length though. I had heard reports that the game was only 5-6 hours long but thought this was just because players were rushing through the game, literally, and it typically takes me about 2-3 hours longer to finish a game than the quoted time.

Even when playing it through on easy! whats wrong with you? :lol:

Er, because I like to take my time, explore, check things out, appreciate the artwork, use different strategy's...rather than just run past every baddie.
Last edited by sonic_uk on 19 Feb 2013, 19:20, edited 4 times in total.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 55

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 19 Feb 2013, 19:12

Its not looking good for Crisis 3. After all that hype the game is receiving 7s and 8s, PC reviewers especially don't seem to happy. I guess this means that I probably won't be getting it (especially at full price) since I got enough of Crisis 2 and low on budget. I guess it's going to be a fight between Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite early this year.
1Nightmare1 51

Postby gmcb007 » 19 Feb 2013, 20:05

Hang on a minute, you say one of Crysis 3's pros is that it's the "best looking game to date", but then you say one of the cons is that very few will experience top visuals. :? Is it really an advantage then?

I don't understand how after reading this review that it can be rewarded a solid 8.5. It has a pathetic story length and the stealth is apparently broken. Overall it sounds pretty shallow.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Bambis Dad » 19 Feb 2013, 20:10

sonic_uk wrote:
MagicBoughie24 wrote:I thought Alacatraz became Prophet at the end of the last one.

Yep, he did. The reviewer was quite badly mistaken, and this should be corrected. As for playing on Hard - no thanks. I'll play it on Easy first time (and probably every time after that). I find hard modes just frustrating and tedious. I am surprised at the lack of length though. I had heard reports that the game was only 5-6 hours long but thought this was just because players were rushing through the game, literally, and it typically takes me about 2-3 hours longer to finish a game than the quoted time. Only 7 levels though? I had heard that too, but assumed it would be more like 7 different areas with numerous levels in between. If its only 7 levels it makes me think its more dlc than full sequel and is pretty lazy to be honest (although I'm glad it isn't dlc as I refuse to buy any). Finally, I suppose there is no day-to-night or night-to-day transition that was included in Warhead and the original Crysis several times (but cursorily missing from Crysis 2)? And can I ask how the reviewer knows about the console frame rate if he only reviewed the PC version?

Not that hard. I'd say inappropriate in the first post but as Stonecold mentioned in the next she hadn't played the second game a little consideration doesn't go amiss.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby liveswired » 19 Feb 2013, 21:45

Sounds great - have to laugh at Wii U owners only getting that pathetic Gearbox game. Nintendo would've been wise to encourage EA to have ported this instead of the other rubbish shoved down Wii U owners throats.
^_* ^_^
liveswired 50

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

PreviousNext