to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Alleged PS4 controller photo leaks online

Your comments on our articles.

Dev kit and controller prototype snapped - 'real deal' claim reports

A photo of what's claimed to be a PlayStation 4 dev kit and a prototype controller has surfaced online.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Alleged PS4 controller photo leaks online

Postby Barry316 » 15 Feb 2013, 11:19

For people like this then.

Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby martinawatson » 15 Feb 2013, 11:23

Personally i'd like the whole controller about 3 times thicker than that and make that touchpad about a third smaller with input allowed only from a pin sized stylus :D

On a serious side ...looks s**t
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby martinawatson » 15 Feb 2013, 11:25

rhyfel wrote:why are so many people getting worked up? it's only a early prototype, and personally i think its still to much like the duelshock, one of the thumb sticks is still in the wrong position, first thing i did when i got my ps3 was change that god awful pad some people might love the duelshock but i hate it its too small and flimsy, sony should ask microsoft to design them a decent pad for like people with bigger hands than a midget.

The opposite of this is true
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 15 Feb 2013, 11:26

Let's see what happens on February 20th.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 38

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby Drusus » 15 Feb 2013, 11:28

If that's real I'm interested. Thank god it's bigger.
Drusus 58

Postby Toasted_PSP » 15 Feb 2013, 12:50

FixBeatGames wrote:not a fan of having a touch-pad on the controller, but i think only because i'm not able to think what use it would be? perhaps for swiping in menus, replacing QTEs with swipes of it instead of just pressing a button? anything i can think of just kinda seems like a gimmick nobody needs/wants?

My first thought when I saw the touch-pad is on-screen pointer movement, PS4 could add some kind of mouse pointer for web browsing, menu navigation or even RTS type games. Although it looks a bit too small and in the wrong place for that but then this is only a prototype.

rhyfel wrote:why are so many people getting worked up? it's only a early prototype, and personally i think its still to much like the duelshock, one of the thumb sticks is still in the wrong position, first thing i did when i got my ps3 was change that god awful pad some people might love the duelshock but i hate it its too small and flimsy, sony should ask microsoft to design them a decent pad for like people with bigger hands than a midget.

Only if your set in your ways, its not hard to adapt. When I got my PS3 having owned an Xbox the previous generation I thought the same thing as you about the size and stick placement but after 5years of PS3 been my main system now when I pick up a 360 controller I think its too big and the sticks are in the wrong position.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby Windowlicker79 » 15 Feb 2013, 13:06

Alaann wrote:that thing is horrible,that big blue light wouldnt half get on my nerves,the sticks dipping in instead of pointing outwards is stupid how are you meant to move the sticks while pressing other buttons at the same time,whatever coating is on that joypad attracts some amount of dust,its too wide,it looks akward to grip at the top why is there no dip at the top off the pad so the fingures can curve in,that pad uses 10400 mah the ps3 one uses 600 mah that thing will cost a fortune to power and will be havier and all to power a stupid screen it will also be hotter because off the battery that probely explains why it has that heavy rough coating,that microphone could probley be used like kinects voice commands id like that if it works well its probley sonys way off including a headset with every console that could be a problem in multiplayer with hearing other peoples background sounds.overall I dont like it but untill I try it cant really say altough the dualshock 3 better work with the ps4 so im not stuck with somthing I might not like.

Shhhhh. You're talking b*****ks.
You press the buttons and move the sticks in the same way you do with the Dualshock.
You don't know what sort of batteries it will use. This is clearly a wired controller and has no batteries.
There is no screen on it. Its a touchpad like on a laptop or the back of the Vita.
There is no way of knowing how the microphone (if thats what it is) will be used.
With the added PS Move functionality, biometric sensor and touchpad it is highly unlikely that you DS3 will work on the PS4.

Now please stop writing so much rubbish.
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby Zabba 2 » 15 Feb 2013, 13:29

When this first popped up on my screen after loading I actually laughed out loud a little bit. I genuinely thought it was a picture of one of those knock-off controllers from China...
Zabba 2 65

Postby Boab Dreeps » 15 Feb 2013, 13:41

Games industry must be on the decline if everyone is getting excited about the thickness of a controller.
Boab Dreeps 14

Postby sonic_uk » 15 Feb 2013, 14:57

IF this is real (and quite honestly its hard to tell) the controller looks as though its made out of more grippy material, like a molded rubber instead of plastic which is a good thing as it means it will be easier to grip. The dev kit itself could be anything so that doesn't really show or tell us much. Waiting for the official announcement to see if I will be buying a next gen machine when the time comes (if some of the rumours are to be believed I seriously have my doubts whether I'll bother).
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby chedda memba » 15 Feb 2013, 16:08

What are Sony doing? They need to get away from the dual shock design they're horrible. Just copy the 360 pad or the Wii U pro or even something like that Ouya one even that's better. I was looking forward to seeing Sonys controller coz I thought it was going to be something new and different but that's basically a fatter chunkier dual shock......crap. Well at least they have tryed to fill it out a bit.That says to me that they know they've got to improve the controllers. Maybe I'm been a bit to harsh, I should probably wait til I have my mits around one before I start judging but jeez come on Sony how long have we had this design now, like for ever.
chedda memba 40

Postby Xbot4life » 15 Feb 2013, 16:42

If anyone has seen the IGN post that brightens the controller and labels each section. Im almost positive that the share button is mirrored on the other side. look close. just above the square button.
blah blah blah blah blah, I don't care about your clever response, only proves me right.
Xbot4life 29

Postby sonic_uk » 16 Feb 2013, 11:03

Microsoft would just give them a Kinect, tell them its what they want and then when Sony say no Ms would simply shove the thing down their throats.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby Sandbwoy » 16 Feb 2013, 14:42

I quite like it. I'm primarily an Xbox gamer, but I'm keeping a close eye on Sony's next console. I'll still be remaining faithful to Microsoft by buying the next Xbox as well, but there's always room for more consoles. Haven't had a PS3 for a while as I think the 360 has better games overall, but every now and then a game will come out that will make me wish I still had the PS3. Not sure whether to buy one now or wait until next gen.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby GlynCR » 17 Feb 2013, 21:12

think it looks awful, reading the comments regarding the current pad being bad ?? i think its perfect but i have been using it for 15 years as its not changed since the original duel shock on ps1 (except for the crap triggers on the ds3) so i guess im stuck in my ways

I've seen things you wouldn't believe!
GlynCR 56

PSN ID: booshtastic

Previous