Alleged PS4 controller photo leaks online

Your comments on our articles.

Dev kit and controller prototype snapped - 'real deal' claim reports

A photo of what's claimed to be a PlayStation 4 dev kit and a prototype controller has surfaced online.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Alleged PS4 controller photo leaks online

Postby The_KFD_Case » 14 Feb 2013, 22:15

OfWolfAndBiggs wrote:A revamp of the dual shock is the only thing that will make me consider buying the PS4 such is my hatred for that controller. Hard to tell too much from this angle but hopefully it will be more ergonomic.

Same here. It's too small and both the frontal buttons along with the left thumbstick are placed at awkward angles or too closely together with too many buttons for my liking. As controllers go, I consider the Xbox 360 controller the pinnacle to date in terms of ergonomics, distribution of weight, and functionality (for a console controller).

This leaked photo, if accurate, disappoints me. It doesn't appear to take any particularly useful radical steps away from the loathed dual-shock design except as to be chunkier. I am not at all convinced that such is sufficient to rectify what I find uncomfortable about the current dual-shock design, and I'm singularly unimpressed. The whole screen hulla balloo seems to be a gimmick to me at this point.
Last edited by The_KFD_Case on 14 Feb 2013, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby Black Mantis » 14 Feb 2013, 22:16

If the analogue sticks are as good as the 360's, this could be the DS I've been waiting for!
Black Mantis 67

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 14 Feb 2013, 22:23

Screens in controllers is possibly the stupidest gimmick ive ever seen, even more so than motion control.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 75

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19
Wii Code: WiiU________Daedy79

Postby Onomatopoeia » 14 Feb 2013, 22:24

DAEDALUS79 wrote:Screens in controllers is possibly the stupidest gimmick ive ever seen, even more so than motion control.

Apparently it's a touch surface like the back of the Vita.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby micka » 14 Feb 2013, 22:28

WOW that blew my mind! Can they really not think of anything even a little different after 18 years. I mean I know the saying goes "if it aint broke" and all that but a little more innovation please!
micka 52

Steam: obiangello

Postby Monkey-d » 14 Feb 2013, 22:29

Windowlicker79 wrote:
Monkey-d wrote:Looks to fat to be real. It seems unreal that the controller would become so much fatter because of a screen, I mean the Vita is thinner and only has 2 shoulder buttons less. Also I prefer the top of my analog sticks pointing outwards. The sticks also seem to be further apart which is less comfortable even for people with medium sized hands. If you said controller with screen 5 years ago this is what I'd picture but now a days it is just to big and clunky.

Well the first 2 comments on this thread (including mine) are saying how the increased size is a good thing. I know a LOT of other people who would say the same thing.
Maybe the dualshock is OK for your skinny girl-hands, but for a lot of other people its too small and causes cramp quickly.

Well kind sir of the internet, most people I know have no problems with the dualshocks size. Also I'd like to inform you that my hands are average, perhaphs slightly bigger then average, they kinda have to be since I play bass guitar and to play it comfortably it comes in handy to have well normal hands. I've seen women play bass, often looks painfull. And not to start some kind of flame war, but a lot off people like the 360's controller size which I find to be on the small side but that is just a matter of getting used to probably.

Anyhow if kinda measured the 'new' distance between the sticks and now I would have to bend my thumbs to lay my thumb on them, comparable to placing only the tip of your thumb on the current sticks. Doesn't feel comfortable to me.
Monkey-d 34

Postby shogunreaper » 14 Feb 2013, 22:31

Seems alot longer than before, which seems unnecessary for a touchscreen that doesn't do much..
shogunreaper 47

Postby Windowlicker79 » 14 Feb 2013, 22:32

Monkey-d wrote:
Well kind sir of the internet, most people I know have no problems with the dualshocks size. Also I'd like to inform you that my hands are average, perhaphs slightly bigger then average, they kinda have to be since I play bass guitar and to play it comfortably it comes in handy to have well normal hands. I've seen women play bass, often looks painfull. And not to start some kind of flame war, but a lot off people like the 360's controller size which I find to be on the small side but that is just a matter of getting used to probably.

Anyhow if kinda measured the 'new' distance between the sticks and now I would have to bend my thumbs to lay my thumb on them, comparable to placing only the tip of your thumb on the current sticks. Doesn't feel comfortable to me.

The sticks being further apart is a good thing in my books. One of my problems with the dualshock was the fact that my thumbs kept bashing together. It just seemed like a huge oversight to me.

I also play bass! :lol:
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby DiamondDogs » 14 Feb 2013, 22:34

The analog sticks look terrible and are they Gamecube controller sockets above the controller?
DiamondDogs 61

Postby Monkey-d » 14 Feb 2013, 22:41

Windowlicker79 wrote:
Monkey-d wrote:

The sticks being further apart is a good thing in my books. One of my problems with the dualshock was the fact that my thumbs kept bashing together. It just seemed like a huge oversight to me.

I also play bass! :lol:

Well then you just have insanely large hands :p I seriously haven't seen a person in my life that had such a problem with the DS :p Perhaphs my uncle would have, but my hands could fit twice in his
Monkey-d 34

Postby shev » 14 Feb 2013, 22:44

I look forward want to smashing greek gods by quickly moving the controller down their heads or something like that. The possibilities are almost endless as far as I'm concerned. Imaging steering, selecting what sheppard is gonna say next by tilting, rolling forward, parrying and more! I so badly want this to be real now! :lol:
shev 46

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 14 Feb 2013, 22:48

Onomatopoeia wrote:
DAEDALUS79 wrote:Screens in controllers is possibly the stupidest gimmick ive ever seen, even more so than motion control.

Apparently it's a touch surface like the back of the Vita.

Fat lot of use that will be on a touch pad that small. I wasnt a fan of it on the Vita but at least it worked quite well, with the pad translating to the actual screen, it felt quite natural.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 75

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19
Wii Code: WiiU________Daedy79

Postby micka » 14 Feb 2013, 22:50

shev wrote:I look forward want to smashing greek gods by quickly moving the controller down their heads or something like that. The possibilities are almost endless as far as I'm concerned. Imaging steering, selecting what sheppard is gonna say next by tilting, rolling forward, parrying and more! I so badly want this to be real now! :lol:

Thats pretty much what the ps3 controller could do at launch. Not alot of games bothered with it and the ones that did felt forced.
micka 52

Steam: obiangello

Postby cheesebiscuit » 14 Feb 2013, 22:56

The left analogue stick is still in the wrong place, shame. Hopefully it will weigh more than the last dual shock the weight really irked me.
cheesebiscuit 17

Xbox Live: Jackdaggers

Postby alan666 » 14 Feb 2013, 23:01

lol that looks rubbish & people said the wii u pad was bad, but after using it a while the wii u pad is one of the best, the ps pads are too small now.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

PreviousNext