to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Aliens: Colonial Marines review: Or how to waste a great lic

Your comments on our articles.

A shooting gallery that fundamentally fails to understand what makes the Alien films so great

Aliens are like Superman. You can't make a game about them without compromising the very thing that makes them so powerful. So the Man of Steel has a health bar and can be beaten up by Sub-Zero, and xenomorphs - described by Ash in Alien as a 'perfect organism' - can be killed in droves by a single Marine with a machine-gun. In the films they're cunning, merciless, and intelligent; here they're little more than dumb animals.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines review: Or how to waste a great

Postby richomack360 » 12 Feb 2013, 23:07

Bambis Dad wrote:@ Richo - This restaurant, how do they serve the food to bring attention to the buttocks?

I just keep dropping my nicely folded napkin, works a charm every time!
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby nervedamaged » 12 Feb 2013, 23:07

monkfish82 wrote:*sigh* maybe shouldn't of pre-ordered it and waited for it to go cheap.

you can cancel a pre order ya know
nervedamaged 38

Postby djhazardous » 12 Feb 2013, 23:55

djhazardous wrote:They've just released a patch:

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/communit ... es-updated

Will let people know of my impressions.

Hit detection seems to have improved slightly, AI seems a minute bit smarter, seems overall a bit tighter. It's nothing magical however and the game is still p**s poor.

Don't notice any improvements to multiplayer really.

- Played campaign co-op and multiplayer on latest PS3 patch 1.02.
djhazardous 46

Postby airika » 13 Feb 2013, 00:36

Nice game! :lol:
airika 1
New user

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 13 Feb 2013, 01:02

I could review this game by the many videos I've seen so far. In essence there is a fundamental flaw, watch the first 2 Aliens films or recall them and think for a moment what made them freakishly scary and s**t hot?

Was it almost endlessly shooting the s**t out of everything?

No it wasn't; Suspense + sublime sound and music + a shed load of tension + cool tech + scarily intelligent creatures that jump out of your belly= The success and cult nature of the Alien franchise, or at least the first 2.

This game is not Aliens, it is a wooden FPS in clever Aliens (TM) clothing. If you love it, more power to you but I'll stick with the VAST majority of reviews including this one which say it's dog s**t, regardless of how much cash they got :mrgreen: :roll:

Less boring gaming hilarity on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Video of the week; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAeYL7eAdI
KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby flash501 » 13 Feb 2013, 01:08

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:I could review this game by the many videos I've seen so far. In essence there is a fundamental flaw, watch the first 2 Aliens films or recall them and think for a moment what made them freakishly scary and s**t hot?

Was it almost endlessly shooting the s**t out of everything?

No it wasn't; Suspense + sublime sound and music + a shed load of tension + cool tech + scarily intelligent creatures that jump out of your belly= The success and cult nature of the Alien franchise, or at least the first 2.

This game is not Aliens, it is a wooden FPS in clever Aliens (TM) clothing. If you love it, more power to you but I'll stick with the VAST majority of reviews including this one which say it's dog s**t, regardless of how much cash they got :mrgreen: :roll:

Made me think of Dead Space 1. *sigh* Seems like a lifetime ago.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 13 Feb 2013, 01:18

@ Flash (love the avatar by the way) I was thinking about Dead Space 1 when I wrote that. Indeed an Aliens game should have more in common with early Resis, Silent Hills and Dead Space 1 than Homefront, Ghost recon and Spec Ops the line.

Sadly I don't think this is the case here.

Less boring gaming hilarity on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Video of the week; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAeYL7eAdI
KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby HelloLadies » 13 Feb 2013, 02:46

richomack360 wrote:
I must admit, when I have an aboslutely terrible meal I do remember to balance the experience out because of the nicely folded napkin. and the fact the waitress has an amazing pair of buttocks.

Wait... are you living on Mars a la Total Recall? She has 2 arses? :shock: Say hello to Kuato for me.
HelloLadies 51

Postby Jensonjet » 13 Feb 2013, 03:06

The problem with the game isn't the game itself, it's the f*cking idiots playing it!!!!!

I've spent hours trying to find a team to play co-op on the hardest difficulty, and with mics. And in a three hour period I've met two teams. The first team had no one with mics. I know gamers aren't particularly familiar with the word 'teamwork' or 'communication', but this is yet another co-op capable game that proves the point. The second team had mics, two of which were f*cking kids, who screamed, team killed, and sounded like they'd been on a diet of amphetamines and sugar all day. I never play alongside kids because they're disruptive and utterly useless in co-op games. And Colonial Marines proved the point again perfectly.

I must add that this miserable experience was on the PS3. My love of co-op came about from playing on the 360. Colonial Marines has made me realise, yet again, that come next generation I will have to go back to Microsoft's console because the quality of gamer is generally higher, older, better equipped to play co-op, and more importantly have microphones.

My only major gripe with the game is that you're forced to play in third-person when taking on the role of an Alien!!! Seriously!?!? In 2013, developers of shooters are still struggling with the concept of giving gamers the choice to play in third or first-person; whichever suits the individual. Is it really such a difficult concept to grasp for a multi-billion pound 'professional' industry?!?!

Having said all that, I have to thank the two decent co-op gamers (with mics) I did find and complete the game with today.
Jensonjet 47

Postby djhazardous » 13 Feb 2013, 05:57

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:@ Flash (love the avatar by the way) I was thinking about Dead Space 1 when I wrote that. Indeed an Aliens game should have more in common with early Resis, Silent Hills and Dead Space 1 than Homefront, Ghost recon and Spec Ops the line.

Sadly I don't think this is the case here.

Please do not dare to mention my beloved Dead Space in regards to this game ever again. Just don't.

Dead Space is one of the best games of the generation, it doesn't deserve to be caught up in all this s**t.
djhazardous 46

Postby lonewolf2002 » 13 Feb 2013, 09:15

Played for about an hour last night (PC version, Hardcore difficulty, read it was too easy otherwise, high settings 1080p).

So anyway I am enjoying it so far, graphics are fine imo (few rough spots but nothing major) AI seems fine for the most part (xenos do try different tactics, climbing right under walkways etc. to avoid fire and get the jump on you). Sounds seem ok, dialogue is ok imo (not oscar material but does ok). Atmosphere is ok, not Dead Space 1 but still not bad.

I will see if I remember to update this when I have played all the way through but at the moment my score would be about 7 to 8/10. I heard it gets better/worse as you go through the game (depending which reviews you read). 8)
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby richomack360 » 13 Feb 2013, 09:50

HelloLadies wrote:
Wait... are you living on Mars a la Total Recall? She has 2 arses? :shock: Say hello to Kuato for me.

Yeah, a bit of mutant fun is always welcome, if I can't get to Mars I go to Stockport for my fill of mutants

Just for the "LOLZ" - can someone tell me how to make that gif as my avatar on here ??!?

Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Acesbomb » 13 Feb 2013, 10:43

Having had a chance to sit down and play the game for 5 hours, single player, co-op & multi-player versus I would give the game a 7.5/10.
PC version mind you, I have heard the console versions are buggy as hell. No major issues on PC that I noticed.
Last edited by Acesbomb on 13 Feb 2013, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
3770kk @ 4.6ghz
R9 290X crossfire
Dell 30" 1600p
16GB Corsair Dominator
Acesbomb 51

Postby lonewolf2002 » 13 Feb 2013, 10:44

richomack360 wrote:
HelloLadies wrote:

Yeah, a bit of mutant fun is always welcome, if I can't get to Mars I go to Stockport for my fill of mutants

Just for the "LOLZ" - can someone tell me how to make that gif as my avatar on here ??!?

Think you can only use SWF's but not sure. That is quite a funny GIF :lol:
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby rhyfel » 13 Feb 2013, 10:45

no one will hear you scream? they will if you buy this piece of s**t.
rhyfel 37

PreviousNext