to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

New Call of Duty confirmed for Q4 2013, 'will raise the bar

Your comments on our articles.

New shooter to release amongst "volatility" of "ongoing console transition"

Coming as a surprise to no one, Activision has confirmed plans to release a new Call of Duty game in Q4 2013.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: New Call of Duty confirmed for Q4 2013, 'will raise the

Postby Currychips » 08 Feb 2013, 01:21

No, not for me.

I'll wait until the next generation now for my COD fix.
I expect to be blown away like I was with COD4.
It's just a shame it's got so saturated that I can't be bothered with it anymore.
Weird. Cos COD4 was my second favourite game of this gen so far.
Do you want Chilli on that?
Currychips 48

Xbox Live: Mr Cheesefinger
PSN ID: westypie

Postby Welsh Jester » 08 Feb 2013, 01:49

Gabe Newell has the right idea, release games every so often with high quality standards. Not every damn year, Halo is getting to be as bad as COD as well.

I bet they'll get 3-4 COD games out of their next engine no doubt, at least Valve has the decency to upgrade their engine whenever they release newer games.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby TheLastDodo » 08 Feb 2013, 02:17

Business in continuing to try to make profits from winning formula shock!!

Can't blame Acti at all, they found what works for them, ran with it and 20 odd million people still love it, other developers/publishers should give it a try sometime instead of taking the easy, lazy route and try to ride on the coattails of others.

I used to love CoD4 & MW2 but I can't see me buying this one. I'm sure the SP will be up to the usual standard and the multiplayer will...........erm.........do what the multiplayer does now but I'm burnt out on the series, diminishing returns? Familiarity breeding contempt? It's one of em anyway.

Keep enjoying it you guys that still enjoy it.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby gmcb007 » 08 Feb 2013, 02:38

Eh the only game i'm looking to have in winter is GTA V.

I think Dodo has said it best. If the formula works, keep it. You don't like it, don't buy it. I just wish other publishers would stop trying to tap into this Cod market with the naive dream that they'll obtain millions of fans in the process. The simple fact is CoD fans do not want a game that offers the similar features, they just want the real Mc Coy.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Onomatopoeia » 08 Feb 2013, 02:49

The bar is exceptionally low though. No one has standards when it comes to games these days.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby toaplan » 08 Feb 2013, 02:55

I was blown away by Cod4 in 2007, so I guess that's why I still regard the series favourably. I think the transition to the next gen is definitely an opportunity to really wow Gamer's again! But you've got to overhaul the engine for starters, and continuing on the path started by Blops2 of making the game less linear is also something I'd recommend.
toaplan 73

Postby gmcb007 » 08 Feb 2013, 03:04

toaplan wrote:I was blown away by Cod4 in 2007, so I guess that's why I still regard the series favourably. I think the transition to the next gen is definitely an opportunity to really wow Gamer's again! But you've got to overhaul the engine for starters, and continuing on the path started by Blops2 of making the game less linear is also something I'd recommend.

I really do hope they use take the story system from Blops 2. It would be intresting to see more freedom over how you play a mission and even in what path. I'm quite intrested to see what IW release this year seeing how the MW story has been wrapped up.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Dr_Phibes666 » 08 Feb 2013, 08:21

Drusus wrote:
frazzerr wrote:COD in it's countless iterations has never provided innovation, yet why blame Activision and Treyarch because a large majority are stupid enough to buy a recycled product which never improves. Think I might go curl up in a dark corner and weep at the state of humanity...

Hey, I'm a gamer, CoD has fast fun 60fps multiplayer shenanigans in an easy to swallow size that I know will not let me down because it won't try to change it's core. My favourite game is Shadow of the Colossus, I love playing Deus Ex and flip my lid when playing Baldur's Gate. Can I enjoy a non thinking popcorn fun multiplayer game without you trying to demote me to the scum of the earth, it's one game, you don't have to buy it, I'm not going to make you play it with me. Even I'm only going to play it for a month at best, look, see I'm playing Ni No Kuni now, it's amazing so much better than CoD but guess what I'll be enjoying this November.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, once a year franchises don't bother me if they have two teams developing they're still giving the teams the standard time they would to complete the game, some games don't keep up the quality but without the rose tinted specs Black Ops 2 is quite a step up from CoD4, sure it isn't the genre definer CoD4 was but there will be other shooters in the future for that, when I play a CoD it's because that's what I want to play. I quite like to check up on the game series I like knowing I'll be getting a taste of what I know and enjoy and .........(looks around sheepishly) I don't think games are that expensive.

Also you don't need to weep for me, just play the games you do like and stop worrying about me. I'd suggest Super Mario 64, whenever I feel down about anything that game makes me feel awesome.

Every real gamer thinks like this
Well done Sir or Madame
Dr_Phibes666 44

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 08 Feb 2013, 09:10

I've given up with COD and will wait for Battlefield 4, played both COD and BF3 last year and BF3 was way better, no lag and no bullshit.

Treyarch failed this year with Black Ops 2 and there are not enough of the old brigade in Infinity Ward to make a killer COD title any longer, so I think the series will just decline from here on.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 38

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 08 Feb 2013, 09:12

Welsh Jester wrote:Gabe Newell has the right idea, release games every so often with high quality standards. Not every damn year, Halo is getting to be as bad as COD as well.

I bet they'll get 3-4 COD games out of their next engine no doubt, at least Valve has the decency to upgrade their engine whenever they release newer games.

Halo is f**ked with 343 industries, they ruined Reach and made Halo 4 into a laughing stock, I love Halo but it's doomed.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 38

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby Madjeski » 08 Feb 2013, 09:59

"For Call of Duty, consistent with our past practices, we are planning for the main line release in Q4 to be down versus 2012,"

Actually reads, "We know we're going to lose a heap of sales to GTAV plus Infinity Ward are rubbish now that half the staff have left for Respawn"
Madjeski 46

Xbox Live: MagicMadjeski
PSN ID: Madjeski

Postby EvilWaterman » 08 Feb 2013, 10:02

Schlowbro wrote:"The Call of Duty franchise continues to set the bar for innovation"...

Recycling is not innovation.

You beat me to it!

I'm enjoying BLOPS2 but its no different in game play then mw1. I just cannot see how they can say they innovate!?
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby dwhlufc » 08 Feb 2013, 10:14

TheLastDodo wrote:Business in continuing to try to make profits from winning formula shock!!

Can't blame Acti at all, they found what works for them, ran with it and 20 odd million people still love it, other developers/publishers should give it a try sometime instead of taking the easy, lazy route and try to ride on the coattails of others.

I used to love CoD4 & MW2 but I can't see me buying this one. I'm sure the SP will be up to the usual standard and the multiplayer will...........erm.........do what the multiplayer does now but I'm burnt out on the series, diminishing returns? Familiarity breeding contempt? It's one of em anyway.

Keep enjoying it you guys that still enjoy it.
Well said.

Why people who don't like the series feel the need to attack others that do is just sad and pathetic. I don't like treyarchs iteration but I don't go round calling everyone sheep or muppets that do.

This is half the reason why videogames are perceived to be nothing more than child's toys, the immaturity of a alot of gamers about stuff they don't like or agree with is ridiculous.
dwhlufc 75

Postby gnokgnik » 08 Feb 2013, 10:16

Drusus wrote:
frazzerr wrote:COD in it's countless iterations has never provided innovation, yet why blame Activision and Treyarch because a large majority are stupid enough to buy a recycled product which never improves. Think I might go curl up in a dark corner and weep at the state of humanity...

Hey, I'm a gamer, CoD has fast fun 60fps multiplayer shenanigans in an easy to swallow size that I know will not let me down because it won't try to change it's core. My favourite game is Shadow of the Colossus, I love playing Deus Ex and flip my lid when playing Baldur's Gate. Can I enjoy a non thinking popcorn fun multiplayer game without you trying to demote me to the scum of the earth, it's one game, you don't have to buy it, I'm not going to make you play it with me. Even I'm only going to play it for a month at best, look, see I'm playing Ni No Kuni now, it's amazing so much better than CoD but guess what I'll be enjoying this November.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, once a year franchises don't bother me if they have two teams developing they're still giving the teams the standard time they would to complete the game, some games don't keep up the quality but without the rose tinted specs Black Ops 2 is quite a step up from CoD4, sure it isn't the genre definer CoD4 was but there will be other shooters in the future for that, when I play a CoD it's because that's what I want to play. I quite like to check up on the game series I like knowing I'll be getting a taste of what I know and enjoy and .........(looks around sheepishly) I don't think games are that expensive.

Also you don't need to weep for me, just play the games you do like and stop worrying about me. I'd suggest Super Mario 64, whenever I feel down about anything that game makes me feel awesome.

Every real gamer thinks like this
Well done Sir or Madame

I agree, and I welcome November. :-) Oh, and to all complainers, start innovating and enlighten us when you've actually come up with something groundbreaking and revolutionary you can add to a FPS arcade war game... I won't hold my breath.
gnokgnik 50

Postby cupoftea » 08 Feb 2013, 10:24

This is a bad move for cod they r killing them selfs
cupoftea 36

PreviousNext