to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Edge sources: Next-gen Xbox games 'will require online conne

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft set to block second hand games sales, claims source

Next-gen Xbox games will require an internet connection in order to function and block second-hand use, according to a new Edge report.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Edge sources: Next-gen Xbox games 'will require online c

Postby richomack360 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:00

StonecoldMC wrote:
I would just like to highlight this post and get you guys to put your pitchforks away. Unfortunately I think the fire brigade will be required, at least 8 engines :wink: .

TRUMPTON !!!!!

AndyR wrote:Lots of blanks to fill in here.

Indeed, there are more blanks than the weekly meeting of Vesectomies Anonymous.

AndyR wrote:Will the internet connection be required *always*? Will second hands games be blocked entirely, or charge a small fee for activation?

My guess is yes to DRM, previous gen games will be free, used next gen games will be charged

AndyR wrote:There's also the possibility that Xbox Live subs could be built into the price of the console Sky style, i.e. get your £400 console for free but 'subscribe' to live for two years.

Yes, MS will go with a subscription model methinks, they are kind of already doing it

AndyR wrote:I think everyone should hold off going mental until we have the full picture.

By posting this article you have pretty much started a frenzy akin to that of a man producing a rabbit out of a hat in a town centre during the dark ages. Pitchforks, stakes, plenty of fire and wild assumptions.
Last edited by richomack360 on 06 Feb 2013, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Windowlicker79 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:00

Soviet1918 wrote:Theres also another side to this, if its online only this could be seen as discrimination against non online people, not everyone had broadband.
As everyone knows there are strong anti discrimination laws all over the world M$ could be sued over this.

edit: If true of course.

That doesn't make any sense at all. There is no discrimination here. Its not Microsoft's fault if someone doesn't have the internet. You could just as easily say that ANY company that makes ANY product that connects to the internet is discriminating against people with no internet connection. You could even say that gas oven manufacturers are discriminating against people without a gas supply.
The only real reason someone in the UK wouldn't have internet access is if they're too poor to afford it, in which case they really shouldn't be spending their cash on an Xbox.
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby Barry316 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:01

Balladeer wrote:
flash501 wrote:They're sooo gonna be sued for being racist against people who don't have internet!

I have Internet, I just have shoddy slow-working Internet (theoretically broadband, but honestly it doesn't feel too broad at the moment). I find your post very offensive.

Don't complain about internet near flash, he'll not take kindly to it!
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby flash501 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:02

Balladeer wrote:
flash501 wrote:They're sooo gonna be sued for being racist against people who don't have internet!

I have Internet, I just have shoddy slow-working Internet (theoretically broadband, but honestly it doesn't feel too broad at the moment). I find your post very offensive.

I have the slowest broadband in the World, so I can be as offensive as I like and I won't get in trouble. It's like when black people use the "N" word!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby flash501 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:04

Barry316 wrote:
Balladeer wrote:I have Internet, I just have shoddy slow-working Internet (theoretically broadband, but honestly it doesn't feel too broad at the moment). I find your post very offensive.

Don't complain about internet near flash, he'll not take kindly to it!

Damn right. I'm already starting to simmer here!
Last edited by flash501 on 06 Feb 2013, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Feb 2013, 14:05

only_777 wrote:Network pass code to play online. Okay I can handle that. It won't kill the second hand market, and solves the problem of repeat sales of the same game. This is Sonys way and I can handle that.

Outright killing second hand Xbox market with activation codes and you MUST have an Internet connection to even play your own games? MS can do one. This is a sure fire way to kill the next box.

If the two above statements actually happen for the next gen, Sony have this in the bag and the PS4 will dominate in the same ways PS1 & PS2 did.

I'd agree with the proviso that Sony don't f*ck it up. Given the PS3 launch I wouldn't put it past them.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Get Over Here » 06 Feb 2013, 14:06

It also said in the same report, to back-up loads of leaks recently, that it will be underpowered compared to the PS4.

So basically:

Always online
1-user Blu ray games
DRM in every release
Kinect 2.0
Windows 8 OS
Old generation GPU

Sounds likes the anti-console to me.
@KazHiraiCEO "Yes they are crunching, Geoff. Crunching like delicious Doritos potato chips"
Get Over Here 47

Postby rhyfel » 06 Feb 2013, 14:10

if this is true, screw you microsoft sale lost.
rhyfel 37

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 06 Feb 2013, 14:10

I don't believe a single second there could be an agreement between Sony & Microsoft about that nonsense. Neither do I believe any manufacturer would be stupid enough to block used games straight away. European (and probably American) laws prevent such a move.

I'm all for fighting piracy and hampering used games sales somewhat, but a strict blocking? Second-hand market isn't the problem, third/fourth/tenth-hand market is.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby roland82 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:14

Oh well console gaming for me will end with the 360 if this is true. I dont really want to fork out for a new console and this would confirm it. Theres more than enough current gen games to keep me going for a year or two.
roland82 58

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:18

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha yeah good one, if true MS can f**k right off, I doubt they would be so stupid mind considering in the UK the internet connection outside the major conurbations is largely wank and years off been fully fibre optic.

If you have super powerful internet which NEVER breaks then good boy, you can have a biscuit.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby paperywhiteboy » 06 Feb 2013, 14:19

AndyR wrote:I think everyone should hold off going mental until we have the full picture.

Where's the fun in that?
paperywhiteboy 52

PSN ID: PETRIMOV

Postby Get Over Here » 06 Feb 2013, 14:21

Also, when there was a report on CVG that Sony was patenting tech that blocks used games, the general reaction on here was:

F*ck you Sony
Die you Sony c**ts

A report on MS potentially doing the same leads to a lot less animosity. That's, quite, interesting...
@KazHiraiCEO "Yes they are crunching, Geoff. Crunching like delicious Doritos potato chips"
Get Over Here 47

Postby richomack360 » 06 Feb 2013, 14:24

flash501 wrote:Sony and MS either have an agreement in place...

Nope, I think Shadaloo are involved.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby CatfishMurphy » 06 Feb 2013, 14:24

People seem to have very short memories on here. Only a matter of weeks ago it was rumoured again and again that the PS4 would be implementing a very similar system to eradicate pre-owned sales, so can we please stop this fantasy of the PS4 saving the day with this particular issue.

What people seem to fail to grasp is that developers and publishers want these measures put in place to protect their sales, so this idea of users flocking to a platform that doesn't employ such a system is horse crap because the software firms won't support it and no one wants an unsupported platform. If either MS or Sony are implementing such controls then you can guarantee that t'other one will an' all; neither can afford to risk alienating big third party publishers.

Personally, I think such a system will cause all kinds of problems beyond simply not being able to re-sell your games and this is the biggest roll of the dice I've seen in gaming for some time. Let's just hope the next gen games are worth it...
CatfishMurphy 38

PreviousNext