to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dead Space 3 review: EA's horror series abandons its roots -

Your comments on our articles.

Less tension, less scares, more guns

As Dead Space 3 finally arrives, we're left to ponder: what is it about this generation and the capitulation of gaming's greatest horror series?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Dead Space 3 review: EA's horror series abandons its roo

Postby flash501 » 05 Feb 2013, 21:53

FixBeatGames wrote:you and that article doesn't address my original point. the publisher does NOT order them to make it more of a shooter, the publisher does NOT order them to totally change the weapon system, the publisher does NOT order them to make it on a snow planet, you know, the creative stuff like i said in my original post.

the publisher WILL watch a game all through development and advise on things such as graphics quality, story quality, whether the game would be more popular if they added x and y, the release date, dlc schedules. that kind of stuff (like that article mainly says too).

visceral made it more action orientated, visceral changed the weapon system, visceral chose the location, visceral does all that creative stuff. the stuff that's being slated in the reviews.

If you honestly believe that it was Visceral's idea to add Co-op and make it more action orientated, then you are incredibly naive. When the series bombs (probably after DS4), and EA kick Visceral to the curb, I'd imagine Steve Papoutsis will be very eager to come out and set the record straight about the series and why it went wrong. It can't be a coincidence that the same thing is happening in several of EA's major ips.
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby tanukilou » 05 Feb 2013, 22:07

laslowoodbine wrote:
...Have a look at this article if you want your eyes opening.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... e-monsters

Just read that, wow. David Doak on Timesplitters Future Perfect:

"EA turned up with this stuff that was supposed to help us," says Doak. "And it was just big boards with pictures of Vin Diesel on them. Wesley Snipes was on one in his Blade outfit." Future Perfect ended up with Cortez, a cowardly and dumb marine whose catchphrase falls flat every time: "It's time to split!"
tanukilou 46

Postby The_KFD_Case » 05 Feb 2013, 23:48

It appears the fears of many DS enthusiasts have come true then. A pity - DS1 was a tense game and one of my favourites on the Xbox 360. I enjoyed DS2, yet it didn't have the advantage of DS1, which was fresh, new, undiscovered territory at the time. I would like to see how the story goes, and so I may purchase DS3 further down the line, but only at an extremely favourable price and/or second-hand. To date nothing in the DS franchise has had me unnerved and beginning to panic as that first series of encounters with the regenerating "patient." (Especially the confrontation in the crew quarters with hordes of necromorphs and a breached hull to boot - brilliant fever pitched survival horror at its finest there, and the means by which to end the regenerating menace resulted in whoops of exuberant victory.)

DS3, see ya when I see ya. The DS franchise may already have had "dead" in its title; it can now add "and gone."
Last edited by The_KFD_Case on 06 Feb 2013, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby The_KFD_Case » 06 Feb 2013, 00:00

MrPirtniw wrote:Anyone else looking forward to this instead? An indie game that's supposed to be a bit like Dead Space and Amnesia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnhYRaotzdg

Also, Outlast which is being put together by ex Naughty Dog and Ubisoft staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3oJQ6uUA8

Sweet baby Jesus! We're back in business! Thanks for the links - will try to remember "Outlast."
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby flash501 » 06 Feb 2013, 00:25

I really hope they bring Outlast to consoles at some stage!
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby TerrorK » 06 Feb 2013, 05:25

Not that I disagree with docking points and criticising the game for not being "Dead Space" any more (in fact, this is something I don't feel professional reviewers do enough), but you didn't do that with the likes of Mass Effect 3 no longer really being Mass Effect any more, so... some consistency would be nice, CVG.

Remember this too when the Tomb Raider reboot rolls around.
TerrorK 54

Postby lonewolf2002 » 06 Feb 2013, 09:20

TerrorK wrote:Not that I disagree with docking points and criticising the game for not being "Dead Space" any more (in fact, this is something I don't feel professional reviewers do enough), but you didn't do that with the likes of Mass Effect 3 no longer really being Mass Effect any more, so... some consistency would be nice, CVG.

Remember this too when the Tomb Raider reboot rolls around.

Did the same person review both games? Remember the reviews are done by individuals not the site/mag as a whole. 8)
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Patrick Sewell » 06 Feb 2013, 10:10

Dead Space 3 IS AMAZING, and this is from someone that beat Dead Space 2 on Hardcore to celebrate DS3, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS REVIEWER, IT'S FREAKING AMAZING!As anyone who Really has played it will tell you.
Who let this guy do a review?
Patrick Sewell 1
New user

Postby Acesbomb » 06 Feb 2013, 10:36

What do game devs have against survival horror games??!!?
3770kk @ 4.6ghz
R9 290X crossfire
Dell 30" 1600p
16GB Corsair Dominator
Acesbomb 49

Postby Barry316 » 06 Feb 2013, 10:41

Patrick Sewell wrote:Dead Space 3 IS AMAZING, and this is from someone that beat Dead Space 2 on Hardcore to celebrate DS3, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS REVIEWER, IT'S FREAKING AMAZING!As anyone who Really has played it will tell you.

This message was brought to you by EA and Big Red chewing gum.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Feb 2013, 10:48

Patrick Sewell wrote:Dead Space 3 IS AMAZING, and this is from someone that beat Dead Space 2 on Hardcore to celebrate DS3, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS REVIEWER, IT'S FREAKING AMAZING!As anyone who Really has played it will tell you.

Give this man a job! He's clearly qualified and definitely not mental.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 68

Postby TheLastDodo » 06 Feb 2013, 11:03

Could've been worse, he could've repeatedly called it amazing, stuck an 8 on it and told us to wait for a price drop.

I actually googled "Patrick Sewell EA" and "Patrick Sewell Visceral" after reading that, such desperatio, nothing came up :|
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby paperywhiteboy » 06 Feb 2013, 11:39

TheLastDodo wrote:Could've been worse, he could've repeatedly called it amazing, stuck an 8 on it and told us to wait for a price drop.

A well-aimed jab. Good work, sir!
paperywhiteboy 52

PSN ID: PETRIMOV

Postby MattyR95 » 06 Feb 2013, 12:12

Horror games/series tend to go stale quite quickly without changes. Seems this isn't the right change.
MattyR95 53

Postby ginsin » 06 Feb 2013, 12:29

What's this? People were under the impression the Dead Space games were survival-horror? No, they were never them kind of games. Dead Space is all about tension and atmosphere. In the first two DS games I had ammo and health packs coming out my arse, even on the harder settings. If DS3 still produces some good tension and atmosphere, then I'll be happy with it.

One of the best survival-horror games to come out over the last couple of years is Dark Souls. Now that game is all about surviving. People are too scared to play it, though. :lol:
Victory is just a prelude to the next battle.
ginsin 67

Xbox Live: Nocuous Penguin
Steam: ginsinuk

PreviousNext