to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dead Space 3 review: EA's horror series abandons its roots -

Your comments on our articles.

Less tension, less scares, more guns

As Dead Space 3 finally arrives, we're left to ponder: what is it about this generation and the capitulation of gaming's greatest horror series?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Dead Space 3 review: EA's horror series abandons its roo

Postby CatfishMurphy » 05 Feb 2013, 17:42

lonewolf2002 wrote:But CoD has remained a balls out shooter that it always has been and sold shed loads regardless of what I/others say about it neding to change, this has been changed from survival horror to a balls out shooter, hardly the same thing in my opinion (and it is just that my opinion) 8)

That's just it. People give Activision a load of s**t (and deservedly so a lot of the time) for constant regurgitation and repetition but they are actually staying true to a franchise via this method, however dull it may become.

Whereas EA are absolutely determined to squeeze every game into a very narrow model regardless of its content, manner, intentions or context. And that's so much worse than what Activision do.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby Down with robots » 05 Feb 2013, 17:51

Anyone got EA's email address? I'm going to send them a photo of the £40 they aren't getting from me for this game.
Down with robots 52

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 05 Feb 2013, 17:58

I agree with those who say EA are responsible for this, as was with Capcom and Resi EA have clearly focussed their devs on chasing a certain shooters rinse and repeat methodology but as has been allured to Activision are fully entitled to as it was their dev teams that created the cash cow in the first place (regardless of whether you hate it or not) COD built it's sizeable following while EA have tried to simply steal it.

EA would do well to learn that you can't just copy COD, much like you can't just copy Mario, Streetfighter or (insert other monolithic franchise) without really delivering on the exerience itself and adequately differentiating your proposition. BF3 is the exception because it is very little like COD gameplay wise and as such has delivered good numbers, it set itself cleverly as an alternative not a 'me too'- Dead Space and MOH? Well we now one has already hit the wall...

Lose the obsession EA.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby MrPirtniw » 05 Feb 2013, 18:31

Anyone else looking forward to this instead? An indie game that's supposed to be a bit like Dead Space and Amnesia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnhYRaotzdg

Also, Outlast which is being put together by ex Naughty Dog and Ubisoft staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3oJQ6uUA8
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby iucidium » 05 Feb 2013, 19:06

I told you Bobby Kotick has killed gaming. I told the lot of yer!!
*runs off crying*
I got a warning for saying what most people have probably thought.

I predicted the Wii U controllers use.

Pie lesu domine
Dona eis requiem
iucidium 40

Xbox Live: AMOUR DE CHEVAL
PSN ID: Iucidium
Wii Code: CANN OTBE BOTH ERED

Postby TheRexFactor » 05 Feb 2013, 19:11

Sounds pretty typical of EA. "Actionised" and unwanted multiplayer.

Damn shame too, the original was an awesome experience.
TheRexFactor 77

Postby Padua » 05 Feb 2013, 19:41

Even if it is more "Call of Dead Space" I thought the Demo was ok. Online CO-OP looks fun.
I'm still interested in getting this :| just not at full price :P
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby paperywhiteboy » 05 Feb 2013, 19:42

MrPirtniw wrote:Also, Outlast which is being put together by ex Naughty Dog and Ubisoft staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3oJQ6uUA8

That's more bloody like it!
paperywhiteboy 52

PSN ID: PETRIMOV

Postby MrPirtniw » 05 Feb 2013, 19:56

paperywhiteboy wrote: That's more bloody like it!

Amen to that!
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby budge » 05 Feb 2013, 20:01

It does remind me of the way ME3 went. Instead of staying true to the original it was catered more for the new player to the series. :(

To be honest, I thought the series was lost after playing the last third of DS2.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Marlonjb » 05 Feb 2013, 20:13

Reading this I can't say I'm surprised. EA have made this purely to cater for the cop out and multiprat fans and effectively turned their backs on those who made the series what it is. This game didn't need co op and surprise, surprise suffers for its inclusion.

I honestly hope this game tanks. At least then Dead Space 4 might be an actual, you know, survival horror game and not ANOTHER gears of war rip off. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

R.I.P. Dead Space franchise.
F++k you EA.
If people are talking behind your back it's only because they cant talk to your face. PS3, Xbox360 Elite and Wii Owner so the lame ass "Fanboy" BS wont work on me. Do not bother!
Marlonjb 38

Postby sigourney beaver » 05 Feb 2013, 20:15

not surprised by this, making it this action orientated was always going to upset more than please fans, such a shame another great franchise has lost its identity and what made it great
sigourney beaver 44

Postby FixBeatGames » 05 Feb 2013, 20:52

laslowoodbine wrote:
FixBeatGames wrote:why is everyone giving EA all the s**t? :lol:

they're the publishers not the developers. with AAA titles like dead space, the creativity is left to the developers mostly, EA certainly wouldn't have ORDERED them to make it more action orientated lol. (think there's alot of consipiracy nuts on this site).

re-read interviews with various visceral devs from the past year, and you'll clearly see this is THEIR vision of dead space 3, NOT EAs.

EA can be given s**t for DLC and the likes, but rarely for the actual content of games are the publishers responsible.

If you think publishers have nothing to do with the creative process, think again and open your eyes.

Yes the developers may try and create the game they want but ultimately they have to get those creative aspirations past a publisher like EA and it's not easily done.

Have a look at this article if you want your eyes opening.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... e-monsters

you and that article doesn't address my original point. the publisher does NOT order them to make it more of a shooter, the publisher does NOT order them to totally change the weapon system, the publisher does NOT order them to make it on a snow planet, you know, the creative stuff like i said in my original post.

the publisher WILL watch a game all through development and advise on things such as graphics quality, story quality, whether the game would be more popular if they added x and y, the release date, dlc schedules. that kind of stuff (like that article mainly says too).

visceral made it more action orientated, visceral changed the weapon system, visceral chose the location, visceral does all that creative stuff. the stuff that's being slated in the reviews.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby gmcb007 » 05 Feb 2013, 21:10

they're the publishers not the developers. with AAA titles like dead space, the creativity is left to the developers mostly, EA certainly wouldn't have ORDERED them to make it more action orientated lol. (think there's alot of consipiracy nuts on this site).

re-read interviews with various visceral devs from the past year, and you'll clearly see this is THEIR vision of dead space 3, NOT EAs.

EA can be given s**t for DLC and the likes, but rarely for the actual content of games are the publishers responsible.

Yes EA allowed Visceral do whatever they pleased. :roll:

They definitely didn't tell them to try and make a game focused on the mainstream action genre. EA told them exactly what they wanted the game to be from the start. DS fans have been ignored from the announcement of DS3, i'd really like to see where they asked the established Dead Space fanbase what they want for the next game. Visceral have simply follwed the corporate "what sells", plan laid out by EA.

This is why you rarely see original IPs on a large scale anymore. No corporate publisher wants to even try investing in new ideas when they can stick with safe generic products that will sell. That's the problem with gaming this gen, it is completely dominated by corporations and stock holders.

The creativity we saw last generation has dried up to a faint trickle. Hell, if a development team wants to try something new these days they have to resort to the like of public funding to give it a go because the corporations are simply not intrested.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 05 Feb 2013, 21:19

dwhlufc wrote:

So you think the company who are paying for this production have zero influence on its content? :lol:

Haha I know right! Why would anyone believe that the Publishers have no influence in what direction games go when they're paying their god damn wages!

Imaduck wrote:At least EA are getting predictable.... Amazing that they managed to change me from preordering the collectors Edition of 2 to not even ordering 3 at all, all by themselves!Success! f**k you EA :evil: thanks for being honest and balanced CVG. The whole "it's actually quite a good action game" hit me in the demo, problem is - it's Dead Space :(

I know mate :( depressing really. I preordered Dead Space 2 and was so excited for it that I took a day off work. Now I don't think I'll even bother with this one as it'll just make me feel so disappointed in the route it's taken.

EA are destroying all the hard work they did this gen. Then again so are Square Enix with the FF series :(
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

PreviousNext