to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dead Space 3 review: EA's horror series abandons its roots -

Your comments on our articles.

Less tension, less scares, more guns

As Dead Space 3 finally arrives, we're left to ponder: what is it about this generation and the capitulation of gaming's greatest horror series?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: Dead Space 3 review: EA's horror series abandons its roo

Postby Down with robots » 05 Feb 2013, 15:52

So it's really true then, Dead Space is dead? Thanks EA, you really are a bunch of soulless money chasers aren't you?
Down with robots 52

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Feb 2013, 15:52

Damn, there was so much potential with the new Thing like ice planet setting too.

Good luck in your future endeavors Visceral, it's probably not your fault but it'll be you that gets the blame and the boot.

s**t like this is why, as much as I'd like to see it happen, I don't want a Mirrors Edge sequel to happen.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby El Mag » 05 Feb 2013, 15:55

This years ruined series award, sponsored by Resident Evil 6 & Uwe Boll productions, looks to have an early favourite then.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby rhyfel » 05 Feb 2013, 16:00

EA you haven't got a clue, you have destroyed one of your best ip's, you took out everything that made dead space great and replaced it with utter generic garbage, and 11 DLC packs on the day of release is just a p**s take, hopefully EA lose a shed load of cash with dead space 3 and it will serve them right.
rhyfel 37

Postby MrPirtniw » 05 Feb 2013, 16:03

I went to Good Old Games and downloaded Alone in the Dark 1 (you get 2 and 3 with it) in protest.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby sammikid » 05 Feb 2013, 16:06

After playing the demo, I had zero interest in picking this game up. DS1 was a great survival horror game and 2 was also an enjoyable title. Even looking at the co-op footage in the review vid, the AI looks abysmal! they seemed to only be attracted to whoever was player 1! completely ignoring your co-op friend. I'll be giving this a wide berth

The Survival horror genre has taken a huge nose dive over the years, though I think ND will be picking up the pieces with what looks to be one of the best, if not THE best, this generation with 'The Last Of Us' ... roll on may 7th
sammikid 60

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby Beebop10 » 05 Feb 2013, 16:10

Not surprising , every new piece of info released during its development pointed to a cop out from its horror/vulnerability roots. It looks like classic dumbing down 'bad ass/big guns' , probably based on misleading feedback. It needed to concentrate on its solitary survival horror roots.

If others score it similarly then that's likely the end of DS as a franchise :( .Which will be a shame as the back story is surprisingly deep and well crafted. Why, oh why do these people dumb down?
Beebop10 41

Postby FixBeatGames » 05 Feb 2013, 16:12

why is everyone giving EA all the s**t? :lol:

they're the publishers not the developers. with AAA titles like dead space, the creativity is left to the developers mostly, EA certainly wouldn't have ORDERED them to make it more action orientated lol. (think there's alot of consipiracy nuts on this site).

re-read interviews with various visceral devs from the past year, and you'll clearly see this is THEIR vision of dead space 3, NOT EAs.

EA can be given s**t for DLC and the likes, but rarely for the actual content of games are the publishers responsible.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby JOHNKARA » 05 Feb 2013, 16:28

"IN SPACE, NOBODY CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM".........

APPARENTLY NEITHER CAN EA & STEVE PAPOUTSIS HEAR THE SCREAMS OF THE FANS URGING THEM TO BUILD ON THE BRILLIANCE THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL DEAD SPACE GAME.

CONCLUSION - NOBODY WILL LISTEN OR CARE WHEN THIS FRANCHISE EVENTUALLY DISAPPEARS INTO LITERALLY, "DEAD SPACE"!!
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 46

Postby billysastard » 05 Feb 2013, 16:34

FixBeatGames wrote:why is everyone giving EA all the s**t? :lol:

they're the publishers not the developers. with AAA titles like dead space, the creativity is left to the developers mostly, EA certainly wouldn't have ORDERED them to make it more action orientated lol. (think there's alot of consipiracy nuts on this site).

re-read interviews with various visceral devs from the past year, and you'll clearly see this is THEIR vision of dead space 3, NOT EAs.

EA can be given s**t for DLC and the likes, but rarely for the actual content of games are the publishers responsible.

well thats easy to answer, ea insists on multiplayer so it can cripple the game with an online pass and so it can sell additional dlc which in turn forces the game to become more cod like, ea allow great new ip's (or buy the company) but sadly once its in ea's cesspit any successful franchise will be forced into ea's way of doing things so thats online with everything.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby dwhlufc » 05 Feb 2013, 16:37

So you think the company who are paying for this production have zero influence on its content? :lol:
dwhlufc 76

Postby lonewolf2002 » 05 Feb 2013, 16:39

MANYOO4EVA wrote:I read the AusGamer review before reading this and they gave it a 9/10, and it was a better, well written review than this one.

I'm no fanboy, but people slate COD for being the exact same thing year in year out.They had to change things from the 1st Dead Space as it would be the same thing over and over.

I loved DS1 but understood the reasons why they went more actioney in DS2.

I haven't played the demo, but again this game seems to be dividing opinions just like the DMc reboot did (which is great by the way)

However, I will not be buying this day one. Will wait for inevitable price crash.

But CoD has remained a balls out shooter that it always has been and sold shed loads regardless of what I/others say about it neding to change, this has been changed from survival horror to a balls out shooter, hardly the same thing in my opinion (and it is just that my opinion) 8)
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby flash501 » 05 Feb 2013, 16:43

Hmmm, I tried the demo and thought it was pretty decent. And, as a shooter, I fully expect this to be pretty decent, but Dead Space 1 is quite possibly my favourite game this gen, so for them to move so far away from what made that game so great, sorry, I just can't bring myself to buy this at full price. I'll pick it up when it's cheap.

Dead Space, the real Dead Space, that is, is finished. Who knows what EA'll do with the name in the future. :(
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby flash501 » 05 Feb 2013, 16:49

Don't be dim. Visceral do exactly what EA tell them to do. Papoutsis is hardly going to come out in those interviews and say "Sorry guys, we hate the direction the series is going in but, hey, EA is our boss, what can we do? The same thing is happening to Dead Space as what happened to Mass Effect and pretty much every EA ip. It's abandoning it's roots so it can pander to the masses.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby gayrath » 05 Feb 2013, 16:53

I always held out a small hope that the demo didn't really represent the full game. Shame. Dead Space will remain one f the scariest and best games of this generation and it is very sad to see them slowly take away everything that made it so good. This would have been a day 1 purchase to me, sadly not anymore.
gayrath 38

PreviousNext